• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Military Swim Test - When, Where, and How- Merged

Desirea701 said:
Everyone is saying you do the swim test in your combats but i was told specifically by a woman in the navy that they give you bathing suites for the swim test? IF this is true are the females allowed to wear shorts over top the bathing suit? 

I'm confused :-\

You wear a bathing suit under your combats.

Desirea701 said:
Oh okay...so u are always going to be in the pool with combats on? Thanks ;)

No.  As to whether or not you can wear shorts over your suit, that's a question for your directing staff to answer.

Okay thanks....If i have my combats ontop of the bathing suit then i do not care about wearing shorts over top. I just don't like wearing only a bathing suit. I'm not comfortable showing off what I do not need to if u know what I mean :p. What was the "no" directed towards?

Vimy_gunner said:
Haha, that video is hilarious!

Btw, one of the best ways to increase cardiovascular fitness is by swimming. It has been proven that consistent swimmers throughout their life live longer than even runners. Partly due to the fact that running causes more injuries and even if you're injured you can still swim. The reason why I mention this is that if you want to kill two birds with one stone (prep for swim test and improved fitness) you may want to include lap swimming in your weekly training regiment. Swimming also works two very key muscle components used for push-ups. Shoulders and a smaller muscle on the outside of your pecs (it's the one that makes you look really sexy to the ladies, lol.) This is also the reason why women absolutely love swimmers bodies. You can google what it is if you like because I can't remember, but pushups and swimming are virtually the only two ways to isolate work on that muscle group. Swimming also aids in your breathing recovery because it simply makes your heart work harder!  Join a swim team like I did even and swim 5-8 hrs a week. You'll find that by doing this you make push-ups easier and treading water for two minutes will feel like a breeze. I'm assuming the problem with most if they have issues with the swim test is not due to fitness but more due to the fact that they hardly spend any time in the water.
You swim enough and you'll be treading water for two minutes in between your drills.

i highly agree with this.

I also posted this in the thread about running, but for those in high school, looking to improve their swimming, try your Swim team.

Since joining the swim team the past week, my strokes and times have much improved.

stealthylizard said:
To answer quickly, yes, you do some swimming for PT.  First time I had ever started to sweat in a swimming pool with the exception of hot springs.

That was a good idea or training test in the pool but I think it is better for the army to have a swim test in the open sea. In there, they will think about their lives and they will do their best to survive. It is dangerous but it is the reality.

amelia said:
That was a good idea or training test in the pool but I think it is better for the army to have a swim test in the open sea. In there, they will think about their lives and they will do their best to survive. It is dangerous but it is the reality.

That makes absolutely no sense at all.

Oh wait! You're a spammer!

Buh bye!

The Army.ca Staff

Desirea701 said:
Okay thanks....If i have my combats ontop of the bathing suit then i do not care about wearing shorts over top. I just don't like wearing only a bathing suit. I'm not comfortable showing off what I do not need to if u know what I mean :p. What was the "no" directed towards?

The combats (or overalls) over the bathing suit will be for the swim test only.  For other 'swim PT', women have to wear bathing suit only.  No shorts over the top.

For the record, we did not have to wear our combat boots or even socks during my military swim test.  It's a pretty easy test if you already know how to swim and tread water.

We did our swim test a few weeks ago - wore combats over the issued bathing suit... we had some debate on whether t-shirts were required or not since they never specified but we had some people do it while wearing combat shirts and some do it without.  Don't forget to tie up your strings (the ones at the torso, the bottom of your combat tunic and the ones at your ankles) - it helps to lessen the water getting in.

I'm not sure about other PSP classes, but for our pool PT sessions we do a lot of circuit stuff.  We start with some "aqua jogging" in the shallow end, then a bit of swimming back and forth with chin-ups/pull-ups, pushups and squats around the edge of the pool.  When we do swimming in the deep end the non-swimmers or weak swimmers are given the option of wearing a buoyancy belt to help keep them afloat and they generally stick to the lanes along the edge of the pool.

This technique might interest some one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lUHudMN1TU

PMedMoe said:
Some are done just with bathing suits, others with combat shirt and pants.

Back when I did it for some strange reason they made us wear one of our military dress suits.  It was kind of wooly and difficult to move in.  Could never figure out why they made us do it in that as I figured they probably ruined the outfit.

Does anyone know if the CJIRU- CBRN course consist of swimming? I know the pre selection is 3 and 1/2 days but im not a strong swimmer so im trying to find out if there is any crazy swimming involved either in the pre selection or the course itself...any info would be appreciated. Cheers guys!!

miguel said:
Does anyone know if the CJIRU- CBRN course consist of swimming?

"MBRS MUST ALSO PASS THE BASIC MILITARY SWIM TEST.":
http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/71605/post-684119.html#msg684119

Thanks... so there is swimming and by the looks of it, water phobias will be tested and it seems like more than just the basic swim test.  I"ll make sure to hit the pool.

Take the two week military lessons the PSP offer. That will help you with technique. The hit the pool to practice.

I was never a strong swimmer then I started hitting the pool after a gym session. I worked my way up to swimming back and forth carrying either a 10 or 15 pound weight- where as a couple years ago I could hardly keep my head above water now I can swim the length of a pool and back with a 15 pound weight above my head no problem.
Also what helps a lot is putting a mask on and swimming around underwater- it gets you used to being under water (which is a phobia for a lot of people)

Back