• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Military Swim Test - When, Where, and How- Merged

Hello everyone. I've been reading this thread with great interest because I have recently applied for ROTP and if all goes well will be on my IAP this summer. I can't swim, and I wanted to say thanks for the words of advice that I have read so far. As far as the passing or failing goes, I wondered if you fail the test on IAP if it will have a different result than on BMQ? I know the IAP program is designed to test potential officer cadets and so I have this feeling that failing the test on IAP may be more severe than on BMQ or the original BOTC course. Any help on this would be appreciated.

dwalter said:
Any help on this would be appreciated.

Go take swim lessons......that way you wont fail and the repecussions of failing wont matter.

dwalter said:
Hello everyone. I've been reading this thread with great interest because I have recently applied for ROTP and if all goes well will be on my IAP this summer. I can't swim, and I wanted to say thanks for the words of advice that I have read so far. As far as the passing or failing goes, I wondered if you fail the test on IAP if it will have a different result than on BMQ? I know the IAP program is designed to test potential officer cadets and so I have this feeling that failing the test on IAP may be more severe than on BMQ or the original BOTC course. Any help on this would be appreciated.

From what I noticed during my BMQ (Am still in it still, so it's fresh), the folks that failed were given swim classes to prepare them for the re-test. There were more than the 2 classes someone else mentioned (I think we had about 8 periods or so). I think with IAP they are looking for leadership potential, so my 2 cents would be, 1-yes, get some lessons, 2-don't give up during the test, try until you can do anymore. They look for those that display heart and determination. Keep your chin up and you'll do great.

Deosnt the army teach you how to swim. When i did my basic training with the Royal Canadian Air Cadets they gave swiming lessons though i couldnt take them due to an injury.

flight-coropral-08 said:
Deosnt the army teach you how to swim. When i did my basic training with the Royal Canadian Air Cadets they gave swiming lessons though i couldnt take them due to an injury.

Reread your last.

Also for the reserves IIRC they only ones that have to pass a Swim test would be the Engineers and the Infantry just prior to doing the Assualt Boat/Water Crossing Training.

NFLD Sapper said:
Reread your last.

Also for the reserves IIRC they only ones that have to pass a Swim test would be the Engineers and the Infantry just prior to doing the Assualt Boat/Water Crossing Training.

to add, the other combat arms may also have to do a swim test.

CDN Aviator said:
Go take swim lessons......that way you wont fail and the repecussions of failing wont matter.

That is the best advise that cfan be given to you.

flight-coropral-08 please read THIS

Well I was reading over the sample weekly training schedules on the CFLRS website for IAP and it seems like they will have some basic instruction during the first few PT sessions in the pool which makes me feel better. I definitely plan on getting to the pool sometime before my training though. One thing I thought about, I think it would make sense for the military to teach at least the basics of swimming, because what happens if a recruit comes from somewhere that doesn't have a public pool and or a local 'watering hole' to paddle around in. I'm sure there are some communities that don't have them.

dwalter said:
Well I was reading over the sample weekly training schedules on the CFLRS website for IAP and it seems like they will have some basic instruction during the first few PT sessions in the pool which makes me feel better.

Those are not swimming lessons.

One thing I thought about, I think it would make sense for the military to teach at least the basics of swimming, because what happens if a recruit comes from somewhere that doesn't have a public pool and or a local 'watering hole' to paddle around in. I'm sure there are some communities that don't have them.

Following you logic, we (the CF) would have to teach people to read and write too. We dont have the time to teach every little thing.

My mistake, I didn't notice that the first swim session was the swim test. Just with some of the descriptions on the CFLRS site is seemed like some was instructional.

dwalter said:
My mistake, I didn't notice that the first swim session was the swim test. Just with some of the descriptions on the CFLRS site is seemed like some was instructional.

I said it before in this thread. Go learn how to swim. That way when you get to BMQ you have one less thing to fail.

I have been on the CF rocket science course. This isnt rocket science.

CDN Aviator said:
This isnt rocket science.

Ha!

Anyways, I took IAP this past summer, and the first pool session was the swim test, and the following were PT sessions (swimming lengths and what-not) HOWEVER, the people who failed the swim test used those sessions to practice some basics IIRC. Everyone on my course passed on the re-test. So there you have it: the CF does give swimming lessons.

benny88 said:

Ha!

Anyways, I took IAP this past summer, and the first pool session was the swim test, and the following were PT sessions (swimming lengths and what-not) HOWEVER, the people who failed the swim test used those sessions to practice some basics IIRC. Everyone on my course passed on the re-test. So there you have it: the CF does give swimming lessons.

Ok, just because i'm obviously not experienced enough to comment on anything military related :

Learn to f*****g swim BEFORE going to Basic. It will save you the embarassement of failing a test. It will save you from having a gun to your head until you pass the re-test.

Yeah, what do i know eh ?

Edit : For the record, i failed the swim test when i went to basic. I didnt even know that there was a swim test on the course. While the rest of my course did pool PT i got yelled at alot, called alot of names and treated like shit while i swam around like a cat who fell in the family pool. Hardly what i would consider "swimming lessons". Its something i had to worry about while the rest of my course went on buisness as usual. I finaly passed the test but only by the grace of god. The pool must have been extra bouyant that day because it wasnt pretty.

I remember someone on hear saying that only combat troops and personal like that had to do the swim test. I was wondering do sig ops have to do it as well?

flight-corporal-08 said:
I remember someone on hear HERE saying that only combat troops and personal like that had to do the swim test. I was wondering do sig ops have to do it as well?

EVERYONE does it

CDN Aviator, I'm sorry that you're not happy with my post, although it was 100% correct and gave the people looking to have questions answered on this thread additional relevant information that the thread didn't have. Your post doesn't refute, correct, agree or disagree with mine, so it's a rant. I don't think it's fair to jump all over someone who posts something legitimate.

Just curious, how much swimming is done during infantry occupational training? Will be completing my CT shortly, and doing battle school. Not the strongest swimmer, so I'm just curious how much I should be preparing for some water-activity.

Gatto said:
Just curious, how much swimming is done during infantry occupational training? Will be completing my CT shortly, and doing battle school. Not the strongest swimmer, so I'm just curious how much I should be preparing for some water-activity.

Gatto just fit it into your fitness routine if you have access to a pool, once a week its a nice change and one day it may save your life.

In my opinion (to those of you that cannot swim) unless someone has hydrophobia they should learn how to swim imagine being a parent take your kid to the beach, undertoe grabs them pulls them out 150 meters they aren't a strong swimmer and panicked during the undertoe and can't make it back, what do you do... you can't swim.

Don't have kids fine replace kid above with significant other, platoon mate or best friend or what ever you would like to replace them with.  If its not to save someone else then learn to swim to save yourself, theres no way that drowning can be pleasant.  Never say never, just because your a land element does not mean you will never be near or above water theres also vacations and such.

benny88 said:
CDN Aviator, I'm sorry that you're not happy with my post, although it was 100% correct and gave the people looking to have questions answered on this thread additional relevant information that the thread didn't have. Your post doesn't refute, correct, agree or disagree with mine, so it's a rant. I don't think it's fair to jump all over someone who posts something legitimate.

If you read it again you'll see the gist of what he is saying is akin to the Boy Scout Motto -- I'm quite sure you've heard that -- "Be Prepared."

Just because those on YOUR course managed to pass the re-take doesn't mean they all will. What you get in Saint Jean is FAR from swimming lessons (from one who lifeguards & teachs swimming lessons ...). Those who have been in the water a few times in their life MIGHT benefit enough from those "lessons" in Saint Jean enough to pull off a pass. Then again, if they've never taken the plunge the "lessons" may not do shit for them.

But, I'll tell you what -- if your boat is sinking and you've got all your kit on --- odds are ... you're a wee bit further than 50m off the shore. Your "lessons" also happened in a POOL, as did your test. A controlled enviornment. No big waves, no currents tugging at you, the sides of the pool never more than 12m from you ... and no freaking out too much because you know there's a lifeguard right there.

That's not always how it goes down in the real world (very rarely actually occurs that way --- unless it's an unattended child in a pool). If it were ... a whole lot less drownings would be occuring each and every year.

LEARN TO SWIM FOLKS -- like has already been stated; you know it's part of your testing ... prepare for it!! THAT is what soldiers do. And that preparation may one day save your life -- because YOU may very well be the one who does NOT pass the swim test on your re-rest. Then, what you going to do? Blame the CF? Or blame yourself?

Vern,

I never said that people shouldn't try to be prepared before they go take their swim test. I clarified questions about retests and remedial help, never once did I (as Aviator implies in his post) call into question his experience or knowledge, nor the wisdom of just taking the damn lessons before you arrive at basic and saving yourself the headache.

I'll even agree with you in calling into question how effective those "lessons" are. They might help one pass the test but are fairly useless in an emergency. This doesn't change the fact that the question was asked, and I answered correctly that there would be a chance to work on the basics if one failed the test the first time.

Basically, we're all on the same page about being prepared before you go being the best way. The only reason I made the post you quoted is because I felt like I was unnecessarily burned because of a relevant and correct post.

Benny

benny88 said:
Vern,

I never said that people shouldn't try to be prepared before they go take their swim test. I clarified questions about retests and remedial help, never once did I (as Aviator implies in his post) call into question his experience or knowledge, nor the wisdom of just taking the damn lessons before you arrive at basic and saving yourself the headache.

I'll even agree with you in calling into question how effective those "lessons" are. They might help one pass the test but are fairly useless in an emergency. This doesn't change the fact that the question was asked, and I answered correctly that there would be a chance to work on the basics if one failed the test the first time.

Basically, we're all on the same page about being prepared before you go being the best way. The only reason I made the post you quoted is because I felt like I was unnecessarily burned because of a relevant and correct post.

Benny

OK, you added "relevant" information --- that had already been provided in this thread before your post.

http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/17795/post-653466.html#msg653466

Perhaps, just maybe, the tone of your post came off as a tad bit condescending ...

benny88 said:

Ha!

In your attempt to refute Cdn Aviators post to learn to swim BEFORE basic and that swimming lessons were not given. Although some very basics on "floating" and "not panicing" may have been given --- they certainly do not constitute "The CF does give swimming lessons."

Your post that Cdn Aviator replied to (quoted above) gives a non-swimmer the impression that they shouldn't worry about the test ("HA"), because even if they can swim, they are going to then get lessons and then will more than likely pass ("everyone on my course passed on the re-test") ... which is simply not the actuality of the situation. Your post above is not 100% correct, rather it is misleading.

So, being that the question of whether any "basic" lessons would be given had already been answered (in my link above), Cdn Aviator stressed the fact that these were not considered (nor are they) "Swimming Lessons" --- to which you posted that "HA... they DO get swimming lessons." That's not the case by a long shot.

Now, I've stepped in to clarify once more.

Boys & Girls: If you are a non-swimmer ... learn to swim OR get at least get yourself some swimming lessons BEFORE you report to Saint Jean. It may one day save your life or someone else's ... and your successful completion of BMQ/BOTP (thus your career) may also depend on it. DO NOT take for granted that the "lessons" provided over 6 short sessions will be enough to allow you to pass the CF Swim Test on a re-test just because all the troops on some other BMQ/BOTP managed to pass after these "lessons" ... done in the water with your combats on. Be Prepared.

Clear enough?

Back