• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Military Swim Test - When, Where, and How- Merged

LanceaLot said:
What if you want to join the Navy, but are not a good swimmer at all, would they toss you?

No. I have buddies in the Navy who still cant swim. Not only did they fail the swimming PC in BMQ- they never re-did it. Their kiliks without ever having redone the test.

As for treading water- we were allowed to do whatever. I just tried to float on my back- semi upright. Hard in all your gear but it worked.

PARAMEDIC said:
hey guys ..iv'e read thru all the post on swimming but what i want to know is that...
this   applies to all ppl who have been thru basic at st.jean esp most recent graduates ..as seeiing thru other post that standards can change thru time...this is for reg force training..
what i want to know is that during which weeks did you go to the pool for swim training and how many days you spent in the water
and what u did there...yes i have seen all the video and read thru the req...20m with life jacket paddle for 3 mins etc...
the reason why i ask this is that...im an ok swimmer i can do all the requirements but the only problem i have ..other than the fear of drowning is that i can't keep myself afloat for long periods of time...all my friends have been training me on staying afloat.. i spend far too much energy trying to keep afloat..they tell me to relax and that thats the key to staying afloat w/ the hand and leg movements....but when i try to relax and move my arms slowly to conserve energy i sink like i have cement shoes on ....and thats where the fear of drowning comes into play... dont get me wrong i can swim the length of a pool (freestyle or float on my back for long periods of time) its staying afloat vertically thats the   problem ...lenth of an average pool a couple of times...
and tips on how to combat this problem..im taking swim classes at the local pool but still have this problem..
Is this ging to affect me negatively (other than being classified as a non swimmer) thru bmq/sq/biq ..for instance would i fail SQ and BIQ due to not being able to swim good or will i just be classified as a non swimmer and be posted to my unit or be revoked by my unit for this reason...its getting me a little ancy......
oh btw if you are gonna post a reply as "read the faq"   don't just go to another post and do it
sry guys but i ended up flying off the handle on this one numptie hence the verbal warning...oh yeah and 1 post with a numptie comment on my part...so there directing staff   ;D just incase you were coming up with a reminder for me as to why i goot the warning..lol beat you to that didn't I ..huh ,huh...hahahahha
newayz thx for the response and the tips

cheers
I just happen to be a swimming instructor...Maybe I can give some tips.  When you're treading water, make sure your arms are wide.  Make sure the hands are slightly cupped, and make sure your kick is constant.  A good way to keep the kick constant is "eggbeater."  It's self explanatory...Kick your legs like an eggbeater.  Your friends are right...You should just relax.  If you can swim laps, then you can float.  All levels of swimming are progressions, and in the first level, the first progression is floating.  If you know how to swim, you know how to float.  It's a state of mind...Just relax in the water...Nothing's going to happen to you, if anyone sees you struggle and go under, someone will come in and get you.

Hi.  I know I have to take swim test during the recruiting process.  Is there any style/stroke you have to swim during the test, or is it ok as long as I can swim 25-50 meters in whatever stroke I want?  I can't swim at all in freestyle (crawl), can swim about 50 meters in breaststroke, and swim for hours in my own funny-looking original style of my own ;D  Does CF requires you to swim in a certain way?  Thanks :cdn:

There is no swim test during the recruiting process, read the recruiting FAQs and browse through the forum for an overview of what's involved. You will be required to write the CFAT, do a medical and physical fitness exam as well as an interview.

If you pass all of these things and move on to basic training I believe you will be required to do a few things in the pool so you might want to brush up on your swimming abilities...if you feel you need a hand with that may I suggest the inflatable water wings, orange in color.:) (and no, as far as I know you won't be able to use them while in basic)

Search the forums for 'swim test' or 'swimming' and I'm sure you'll get quite a few results.

cheers.

He is not too far off as there has been some discussion that the swimming test should be done at the recruiting level and even perhaps having the applicant obtain his/her Standard First Aid as part of the application requirements.  More to follow.  Cheers.

TheCheez said:
Are you serious?

What're they gonna do for those first 4 weekends we're locked on base then?!

I guess we need more details but I'm skeptical.

I said it was in discussion and no decisions have been made.  Don't get your knickers all knotted up and don't worry they will find something to do with you.

Generally you will do a swim test during your SQ. All it involves is treading water for two minutes, swimming 25 meters in combats (minus boots),  then doing another 25 metres with a PFD.  It's not very hard if you're  a strong swimmer, though I've seen my share of sinkers.

kincanucks said:
He is not too far off as there has been some discussion that the swimming test should be done at the recruiting level and even perhaps having the applicant obtain his/her Standard First Aid as part of the application requirements.   More to follow.   Cheers.

I can almost force myself to see the reasoning behind a swim test, but in reality I have had very little cause to swim anywhere with cbt's on.

Having applicants get their standard first aid prior to enrolment is a waste of time.  Does your local St John's ambulance teach the treating Pneumothorax in MOPP high and or any other trauma first-aid?  Are there really that many viable applicants coming in the door that CFRC has to add more prerequisites to enrolment?

c4th said:
I can almost force myself to see the reasoning behind a swim test, but in reality I have had very little cause to swim anywhere with cbt's on.

Having applicants get their standard first aid prior to enrolment is a waste of time.   Does your local St John's ambulance teach the treating Pneumothorax in MOPP high and or any other trauma first-aid?   Are there really that many viable applicants coming in the door that CFRC has to add more prerequisites to enrolment?

The issues arise from CFLRS (St Jean) where they want the recruit better prepared for BMQ.  They feel that if the recruit has some of the basics when they arrive then they can provide more detailed training at the BMQ level and thus producing a better prepared service person for future training.

thanks alot, guys, but back to the swimming question:  what if you sink during the SQ then?  Do you get as many chances as you want until you make it or do you fail?  And I was also wandering whether different branches of service expect different swimming standard.  If nobody really cares as long as I pass the test during the SQ, then I wouldn't worry.  But I've been thinking that some units (like reconnaisance or infantry) regiments would expect more swimming skills than arty or armoured since they have to do river crossing and stuff? 

Scaddie said:
Generally you will do a swim test during your SQ. All it involves is treading water for two minutes, swimming 25 meters in combats (minus boots),   then doing another 25 metres with a PFD.   It's not very hard if you're   a strong swimmer, though I've seen my share of sinkers.

I agree! I was one of those sinkers.LOL   I used this quote to give a perspective from the other side of the coin.

At BMQ,   I have never swam with clothes on before and after treading water for 2 min, then try and swim the 25 meters. It's not an easy task. I didn't make it on the first portion but made the 25 meters with a PFD.   Although, if you fail one thing, you have to redo the whole thing. I was confident and was deeply dissappointed that I didn't make.

For round 2 it wasn't hard because I knew what to expect and had proper coaching to do so.   And the feeling regained after doing something failed was very empowering within.   If you pass the first time.   Remember that there are those that haven't swam before or aren't strong and if it's easy for you...it's a big b#tch for them. LOL

As for instructions on what it is you have to do....just listen to the staff and he/she will tell you what you need to do.

cheers!!
-Buzz

I wouldn't worry about the swim test, there are always a few on the course who cant swim and fail it, but the all make it through basic, just make sure that you wear a belt when you do your test.  When I did my swim test I didn't wear my belt, and in the middle of treading water my combat pants fell off, thank god you wear a bathingsuit under your combats.  I had to finish treadding water, then dive to the bottom of the pool to get my pants.  That 9 years ago, and to this day when ever I talk to the guys I went through basic with they laugh their a$$es off at me.  Remember belts are needed because the pants get ALOT bigger when they are wet. lol

c4th said:

I believe the swim test with Combats on is a throwback to the troopship/amphibious landing days - need to be able to swim with your combats on when the ship or carrier goes down. Doesn't have much relevancy these days with no troopships or amphibious capability, but still helps to instill confidence into new recruits that they can in fact do it if they put their minds to it.

Does your local St John's ambulance teach the treating Pneumothorax in MOPP high and or any other trauma first-aid?  

Sorry, cannot agree on this one. I don't recall having done any kind of pneumothorax treatment in MOPP anything on a military first aid course. I don't necessarily agree that enough is covered on the Mil FA course, but I do think every single soldier should be qualified to the TCCC standard or BTLS. Although, the last complete Mil FA course I did a month ago did include some trauma first aid, but nothing anywhere near the BTLS course I attended in 2004.

c4th - I've had a great need for swimming abilities in the infantry
1) Assault boat flipped x2
2) Water x-ing of a stream moving a little too fast (swept downstream)
3) co2 cartridges not firing in stupid army flotation device on a water jump (happened to another guy)
4) boat flipping on adventure trg in BC
5) RHIB insertions/extractions
6) Helo casting

I think the ability to swim is part of the basic skills we should cultivate, in addition to this, it is a nice change from running 5x a week. On top of that - we already own the facilities and instructors!

GO!!! said:
I think the ability to swim is part of the basic skills we should cultivate,

I agree 100% that swimming should be incorporated into training for all the reasons you stated.  I obviously support annual swim tests at the unit level in order that training that you mentioned can be conducted with some degree of safety. 

I don't agree that it should be a prescreen requirement in the recruiting process.  IMO the recruiting process is long and onerous at best, and before more hoops are placed on the path to enrollment I think it would be better to take weak and non-swimmers faster and teach them to swim at the facilities we man and own.

hello mates, i got few questions about the swimming in the BMQ

1. How far do I need to swim for?
2. I am not going to swim with boots on right?
3. Does it matter which style I swim in?

1.  I had to do just once around the pool..  also gotta stay tread water for 2 minutes
2.  Nope no boots
3.  Any style you want no time limit

This test is basicly to seperate the rocks from the soldiers.  The only way to fail is to not follow instructions, give up, or drown

Search page - http://forums.army.ca/forums/index.php?action=search;advanced

Search words - "swim test"

First hit - http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/31580.0.html

Answer - Reply #5

Scaddie said:
Generally you will do a swim test during your SQ. All it involves is treading water for two minutes, swimming 25 meters in combats (minus boots),  then doing another 25 metres with a PFD.  It's not very hard if you're  a strong swimmer, though I've seen my share of sinkers.

Finding the information you seek all by yourself - priceless

Thread locked.

I'm gonna have my swim test next weekend. My question is, does it matter if we swim underwater or not? I ask because I am a lot faster underwater, and I am pretty sure I look lame when I swim above water because I'm all over the place.

If it's the same combat swim test?
It's in combat's and do 1 or 2 length's of the pool.
Just do your breast stroke and you will pass.

Back