• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Military Relocation / Posting Policy-Moves [MERGED]

Shamrock said:
If your troop is seeking for contingency or compassionate reasons, DAOD 5003-6 is the relevant reference.

However, these are not without ramifiaction as the troop is essentially saying that, unless his circumstances change, he cannot achieve universality in terms of service.

Compassionate, yes. Contingency Cost Move, no. CCM does not prevent deployment, coursing, etc. like a compassionate posting does nor does it pause a member's career progression.

Joe crack.
You can rent a PMQ and move your wife in. Or she can stay at the condo and you can live in the shacks. You will be paying for rations while in the shacks. $565 a month for food at the mess. your call.

joecrack said:
I have a fiance and we own a condo. We were thinking of renting it out while I'm at borden, with her moving down to borden with me.

Unless the CF has authorized you a funded relocation, I definitely wouldn't be doing that.

http://www.forces.gc.ca/en/about-policies-standards-benefits-relocation/2014-directive-ch8.page#art-08-02-02

Ill add to this thread to not make a new one.

Does it matter when you take your relocation leave? To start my leave I have one day for travel (thur), a day for losing unit relocation (fri), a weekend, then Canada Day week, then Im starting my annual leave. Can I lump in my gaining unit relocation leave at the end of my annual leave? And Im assuming in this scenario Im pooched for the second relocation leave day of my losing unit?

Would seem like it acts like other special leave, I've had annual up against special (from taskings). Maybe its just a matter of resubmitting the leave pass so the special relocation is first, and annual after?

Looking at the leave manual, it appears that on posting a member is entitled to 5 days leave from losing unit, and 5 days leave from gaining unit? (3 pers admin, 2 HG&E). That seems generous, but I won't look a gift horse in the mouth if its true. One of our fantastic RMS SMEs be able to help out?

On relocation, your travel days aren't leave days. They are duty days. That is an important distinction -- you are on duty when you travel between losing unit and gaining unit. And you take losing unit relocation leave prior to travel, gaining unit relocation leave after travel. Normal procedure is clear out of unit, relocation leave pass from losing unit until the day before travel, travel on duty status, report to new unit, receive leave pass from gaining unit, go on relocation leave while you unpack.

You didn't mention if you are moving your stuff (what the leave policy manual calls HG&E). If you are moving your stuff through a moving company then some of your days must be taken in conjunction with pack and load/unload and unpack.

Taking annual leave in conjunction with a move can be done, but it can get very complicated very quickly. Make sure you read and understand the references. You don't want a moving truck to be in front of your home trying to unload while you are on leave in Vegas.

http://www.forces.gc.ca/en/caf-community-benefits/leave-policy.page#chap5

For members moving on a restricted or prohibited posting (no authority to ship HG&E) the maximum granted is 2 days at each end.
For members moving on a posting with HG&E, it is 3 days for Admin, 2 days for HG&E at each end.

As stated, leave is taken before the travel day(s) begin, and if it can't be done, it is lost.

The intent is to use the Special leave at the locations of the losing and gaining units. A CO would not likely sign off on a leave pass that does not have the place of leave as the new or old place of duty. Therefore, it would be recommended that two separate leave passes be submitted if you aren't taking your annual leave in the geographical area of either duty location.

captloadie said:
For members moving on a restricted or prohibited posting (no authority to ship HG&E) the maximum granted is 2 days at each end.
For members moving on a posting with HG&E, it is 3 days for Admin, 2 days for HG&E at each end.

Always loved that discrepancy.  I understand that someone posted IR will not have HG&E moved (although they can ship stuff through CMTT) and they may or may not require "admin" time at their old location as far as getting cable, internet, etc disconnected, but they more than likely will require that time to set up services at their new location.

So my question is, why only 2 days for a restricted member when the breakdown is 3 for "admin" and 2 for HG&E?  Does someone think it's a different process for one person to get cable, internet etc as opposed to a family?

It probably lies in the fact you don't need to also shuttle family members around and get their admin done as well, thus taking overall less time?

captloadie said:
It probably lies in the fact you don't need to also shuttle family members around and get their admin done as well, thus taking overall less time?

By that reasoning, single people should only get four days relocation leave.  Two for HG&E and two for admin.

It's not the amount of leave that is the issue, it's the wording of the breakdown, IMO.

Back before we had Special Leave - Relocation, I was lucky in that all the bosses I had always treated moving as a tasking and/or part or your job.  In other words, when I was home with the packers/movers I was not required to take leave.  Nor was I required to take leave to change licenses, open new bank accounts, etc.  Sadly, not all bosses were this intelligent and I certainly had friends tell me horror stories of having to take annual leave in order to do these things.  Because of those idiot "leaders" the system had to write a new policy and create a new form of leave.

One of the best bosses I ever had* put it simply - "Take all the time you need to get your family sorted out because once that is done, you can put all your effort into learning your new job."  Looking after your people is always a good investment.  Not only is it actually more efficient and cost-effective, it generates loyalty.

*The only man to whom I've ever given a bottle of scotch in thanks for getting me promoted.

PMedMoe said:
Always loved that discrepancy.  I understand that someone posted IR will not have HG&E moved (although they can ship stuff through CMTT) and they may or may not require "admin" time at their old location as far as getting cable, internet, etc disconnected, but they more than likely will require that time to set up services at their new location.

So my question is, why only 2 days for a restricted member when the breakdown is 3 for "admin" and 2 for HG&E?  Does someone think it's a different process for one person to get cable, internet etc as opposed to a family?

Same with why does a single member get half a months pay and a family person (0 kids or 10 kids) get full months?

Most systems hate on single people.

The whole "month's pay" is another oddity that needs to be revisited; why does a married Doctor LCol with no kids get $20K in relocation, while a Cpl with 5 kids only gets $5K?

Hey, if we start asking two many questions, someone may just look and go, why are they getting extra anything  >:D

First, thanks to all the replies. It has helped clear up my leave pass.

Second, since we are all b****ing about something I will throw my gripe in. Hopefully people who dont know will read this and realize that relocation leave can only be revoked by the Formation Commander and with cause. And it is not up to the whim of your local Pl/Tp WO to give out as he or she sees fit.

Still peeved about that. But as I was a trusting Cpl to a new trade and didnt want to make waves, I didnt push any buttons. Wont make that mistake again.

Thanks to Eye in the Sky for this post:

http://www.cmp-cpm.forces.gc.ca/dgcb-dgras/pd/lea-con/cflpm-mprcfc-eng.asp#chap5

Section 5.11 Special Leave (Relocation)

5.11.04 Withholding or limiting leave

Special Leave (Relocation) in consideration of a compulsory relocation on posting or attached-posting may be denied, withheld or limited but only because of exigencies of the service such as time constraints in the event of a rapid deployment or operational reasons beyond the control of the CO. The authority that withholds or limits Special Leave (Relocation) in these situations shall be no lower than the Formation Commander or, in consideration of deployments to an international operation overseas, the force employing operational commander.

ixium said:
Same with why does a single member get half a months pay and a family person (0 kids or 10 kids) get full months?

Most systems hate on single people.

There actually is a logic behind it, the explanation of which has been lost in the transition from QR&O/CFAO to CBI.  The first thing to note is that Posting Allowance was originally designed as compensation for the disruption caused by relocation (e.g. the move itself, changing of schools, new community, new bank accounts, etc).  It was never intended as reimbursement for expenses of any kind.  In other words, it's extra money because we've made your life temporarily miserable.  Furthermore, the old CFAO used to describe Posting Allowance as having two parts, each equal to one half month's pay.  The first part was the member's portion (i.e. for the disruption caused to him/her).  The second part was for the dependents (i.e. for the disruption caused to them).  If there are no dependents, then no dependents have been disrupted; therefore, logic dictates that there is nothing to be compensated in that case.

Whether this is still appropriate today is another argument, but this is the reasoning behind the half month versus whole month differential.

Pusser said:
There actually is a logic behind it, the explanation of which has been lost in the transition from QR&O/CFAO to CBI.  The first thing to note is that Posting Allowance was originally designed as compensation for the disruption caused by relocation (e.g. the move itself, changing of schools, new community, new bank accounts, etc).  It was never intended as reimbursement for expenses of any kind.  In other words, it's extra money because we've made your life temporarily miserable.  Furthermore, the old CFAO used to describe Posting Allowance as having two parts, each equal to one half month's pay.  The first part was the member's portion (i.e. for the disruption caused to him/her).  The second part was for the dependents (i.e. for the disruption caused to them).  If there are no dependents, then no dependents have been disrupted; therefore, logic dictates that there is nothing to be compensated in that case.

Whether this is still appropriate today is another argument, but this is the reasoning behind the half month versus whole month differential.

;D

Dependents still need food and shelter during that period; not to mention transportation (How many families today are still one car families?).

dapaterson said:
The whole "month's pay" is another oddity that needs to be revisited; why does a married Doctor LCol with no kids get $20K in relocation, while a Cpl with 5 kids only gets $5K?

Why should the LCol be punished for his success to make it easier for the Cpl?  I say this as a lowly Cpl...

CombatMacguyver said:
Why should the LCol be punished for his success to make it easier for the Cpl?  I say this as a lowly Cpl...

The question is why do we pay different amounts based on rank?  Is the disruption to a Col greater than the disruption to a Cpl? Or is this a relic of the dates when truly, RHIP?

I note that Reservists who are relocated are paid a flat rate regardless of rank.  Why is that model acceptable for one group and not others?  Alternatively, public servants relocated at crown expense recieve two weeks salary. Why is one group of personnel paid by the Crown receiving 1/12 of their annual pay when moved, while another receives 1/26?

"Because we've always done it that way" is not, in and of itself, a valid reason.

Pusser said:

That actually makes some sense at why it was there in the first place...I don't fully agree with it as a person with just a spouse(that only paid $150 for a marriage certificate 5 days before posting) and a person with multiple kids are still getting the same, but who knows, somewhere it made sense.

Back