• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Military Police Assessment Centre (MPAC)

The November serial is a MPAC/MPOAC one, don't get wrapped up about dates, if you're selected to attend, you'll know soon enough.

dancurro said:
(snip)
I am applying primarily to become an MP, I've been told I am a strong applicant. There are openings for MP's but very few, I won't divulge the number. My second choice is to become a vehicle technician (I know there's quite a contrast but I have my reasons).

I am awaiting a call re:MPAC selection, which I'll kill and go to BMQ Feb '13. Does anyone know when the MPAC selection is taking place?
(snip)

Don't get too penis-y man.. A lot of good ''could've been'' MP's I've seen have not been selected past the MPAC process. Especially with the trade as competitive as it is now, you may not ''fail'' MPAC, but you may not just be the right person. Good luck to you though, best wishes on obtaining your Red Beret.

MPMick said:
Don't get too penis-y man.. A lot of good ''could've been'' MP's I've seen have not been selected past the MPAC process. Especially with the trade as competitive as it is now, you may not ''fail'' MPAC, but you may not just be the right person. Good luck to you though, best wishes on obtaining your Red Beret.

Any confident or seemingly errogant response I may have might lead one to think I'm as penis-y as perceived but I'm completely aware how selections work. I estimate my chance of selection for MPAC is about 5% (statistically). It won't break me if I am not selected; I'm very motivated and perseverant. I'm greatful for your words, staying 100% positive because it's who I am.

Thanks MPMick,
-dan

ResMP said:
The next MPACs scheduled are 15-17 Oct and 17-19 Feb 2013

This is excellent information. Thank you for sharing! I haven't seen that on the web or been told. Would you be able to share your sources? And not that I don't buy it. I just want to know where my resources are for information.

-dan

Those are the internally available dates.  Like I said, don't focus on them, you may not even be selected for the Nov one and by the time Feb rolls around, things can change with the dates moving, the MPAC being cancelled etc etc etc...

garb811 said:
The November serial is a MPAC/MPOAC one, don't get wrapped up about dates, if you're selected to attend, you'll know soon enough.

You must understand my level of excitement. It's like a drawn out lottery now.
My family and friends ask me "so you a cop yet?!" And I can't wait to have to have the answer I've been dreaming to have.
I'm 26, going on 27 and as they say "my clock is ticking!" I work security now and I'm eager to get my career started while I'm young, sharp, stupid and strong. Lol

Cheers,
-dan

P.s. never heard anyone use the term 'serial' before. Guess you've been in my shoes before, have you?

dancurro said:
You must understand my level of excitement.

Yes, you are the first guy to ever get excited so nobody can possibly understand, right ?

I'm sure the MPs who have responded to you, who have been where you are now, understand fully and are trying to give you advice you should listen to.

CDN Aviator said:
Yes, you are the first guy to ever get excited so nobody can possibly understand, right ?

I'm sure the MPs who have responded to you, who have been where you are now, understand fully and are trying to give you advice you should listen to.

My entire response was one of gratitude and displaying my excitement. I may have sounded condescending with the statement you quoted but it's not my intention. Your message was sarcastic and seemed a bit condescending (directed to me), have I misinterpreted? I'm new to the forum but it seems presumptuous to forwarn me to listen; as I've shown no sign of being inattentive to their wisdom. Fair enough?

dancurro said:
You must understand my level of excitement. It's like a drawn out lottery now.
My family and friends ask me "so you a cop yet?!" And I can't wait to have to have the answer I've been dreaming to have.
I'm 26, going on 27 and as they say "my clock is ticking!" I work security now and I'm eager to get my career started while I'm young, sharp, stupid and strong. Lol

Cheers,
-dan

P.s. never heard anyone use the term 'serial' before. Guess you've been in my shoes before, have you?
Nope, I'm way too old to have gone through an MPAC.  I have assessed on them though.  If you get in, you'll find out pretty quickly that we use "serial" quite a bit.

I understand your excitement, it's good to see, you just have to temper it with knowing that there are a lot of candidates for a reliatively small number of positions know.  ie.  For the Nov MPAC, as it is a MP/MPOAC one, there are only 24 spots for everyone applying across Canada.  I don't have the split for this one but if it is like some, up to half of those spots are for french speaking applicants and that narrows the odds considerably of getting called for Nov.  That's why I say not to get too wrapped up in the dates and, as hard as it is, to wait for the call.

Dan, Enjoy this period of your (hopefully) career. This wondering and waiting is all apart of the process/game. When you look back it will be a very exciting stage of your tenure as a police officer. Take it all in and have fun with it! Good Luck in the process.

Not a police officer....

A peace officer as designated within section 2(g)(i) of the CCC......

If you get in, you will learn this over and over and over and over.........

Good luck

Are you suggesting that Regular Force Military Police are not Police Officers designated under the CCC???? I am not sure where you are going with this?

ResMP said:
Are you suggesting that Regular Force Military Police are not Police Officers designated under the CCC???? I am not sure where you are going with this?

The criminal code is vague and uses the term Peace Officer, which can include, Police Officers, Police Constables, Mayors, Reeves, etc. etc.  In Ontario for example, who and who is not a Police is set forth in provincial legislation (Police Services Act), mainly for purpose of enforcing provincial laws. 

OK ... I was under the impression that the Regular Force Military Police conducts a variety of Criminal Code investigations, (Impaired driving, Sexual Assault, Drug, Property Crimes etc) It has always been my understanding that they were considered "Police Officers" under any interpretation - hence the name Military Police. To my knowledge Reg Force MP maintains this status across the country despite which province they are serving in.

I am not sure what they might be teaching right now but the term "Police Officer" is used in the courts, on the street, in the media. Is it only in Borden we are not allowed to use this term?

Somebody pull out the hand puppets here for me and tell me what I am missing????

But seriously, if and when you get to the MPAC stage, just relax and have fun.  It is the start of an interesting career.  Lots of sllloooooowwwww times, and lots of the exact opposite.  Dont listen to the negative, get your nose in the regs, get your butt in the patrol seat, and make your career yours.

Good luck

Wow! I am learning something here. I have a number of good friends who have had some fantastic assignments. Embassies, Close Protection, Drug Units, Intel stuff, Air Marshal. It seems that they are always on the road. Despite the slower bases I have heard that there are also busy ones. I have always been very impressed by the investigators in the more specialized areas who have their #$%& wound tight. From the out side looking in it appears that there is no lack of money for the specialized areas. Lots of different postings and assignments available which would make for a long and interesting career.

There are a lot of great cops who wear the Red Beret.

ResMP said:
Wow! I am learning something here. I have a number of good friends who have had some fantastic assignments. Embassies, Close Protection, Drug Units, Intel stuff, Air Marshal. It seems that they are always on the road. Despite the slower bases I have heard that there are also busy ones. I have always been very impressed by the investigators in the more specialized areas who have their #$%& wound tight. From the out side looking in it appears that there is no lack of money for the specialized areas. Lots of different postings and assignments available which would make for a long and interesting career.

There are a lot of great cops who wear the Red Beret.

The aforementioned are few of the reasons I want a career with the CF more than a civilian service. Additionally I enjoy challenges and the forces seem to offer more opportunities for challenge/advancement. As far as I'm concerned military policing vastly trumps civi policing. But if I don't get in with the MPs...and I'm interviewing with a civilian service, I won't tell them I think that.  :nod:

:cdn:

Mon, Dec, 24th/2012 --- An update to this post:

On Dec 21st I was contacted by phone and advised that I am on the pre-selection list for the upcoming MPAC testing which will take place early February. I was emailed a package + form and told the form needs to be submitted in person before Jan.11th.

Thank you garb811 & MPMick your information/responses were accurate and helpful.

To those who will be there February see you soon!

ditchpig041 & Hatchet Man: Regarding whether or not an MP is a peace officer... answer is yes

Criminal Code

R.S.C., 1985, c. C-46

INTERPRETATION

2. In this Act,

“peace officer” includes
(g) officers and non-commissioned members of the Canadian Forces who are
(i) appointed for the purposes of section 156 of the National Defence Act, or
(ii) employed on duties that the Governor in Council, in regulations made under the National Defence Act for the purposes of this paragraph, has prescribed to be of such a kind as to necessitate that the officers and non-commissioned members performing them have the powers of peace officers;

National Defence Act

R.S.C., 1985, c. N-5

Division 3

Arrest and Pre-Trial Custody

Authority to Arrest

156. Officers and non-commissioned members who are appointed as military police under regulations for the purposes of this section may

(a) detain or arrest without a warrant any person who is subject to the Code of Service Discipline, regardless of the person’s rank or status, who has committed, is found committing, is believed on reasonable grounds to be about to commit or to have committed a service offence or who is charged with having committed a service offence; and

(b) exercise such other powers for carrying out the Code of Service Discipline as are prescribed in regulations made by the Governor in Council.

Back