• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

"Military-grade missile" received in Abbotsford gun amnesty

CougarKing

Army.ca Fixture
Inactive
Reaction score
Photo of the ordnance at the link:

link

‘I don’t think it’s live, I’ve dropped it a few times,' said Abbotsford man with missile on his lawn chair

Police officers are used to dealing with weapons. But not when those weapons are military-grade missiles.

Abbotsford police got a shock Friday when a resident phoned to report he wanted to surrender a missile to authorities, as part of the B.C. gun amnesty program.

At first, they weren’t sure if it was a hoax.

But on arrival at the man’s house, officers discovered the five-foot weapon was real — apparently a memento belonging to a relative who had returned a decade ago from a tour of duty with the Canadian military.“You think of people going on tours of duty, but not necessarily bringing back a missile,” Const. Ian MacDonald said of the potentially lethal souvenir.

“It’s always more convenient to keep your munitions at someone else’s house I guess,” he said.

When police arrived, they found the homeowner had perched the missile precariously on a lawn chair.

“He tried to reassure us by saying, ‘I don’t think it’s live, I’ve dropped it a few times,” Const. MacDonald said.

The officers were not terribly reassured.

Wary of a possible detonation, police called in Canadian military officials to remove and dispose of the weapon.

It was, safe to say, the most unusual of the more than 40 guns, rifles and other weapons turned in to Abbotsford police in June during the provincewide month-long gun amnesty.

But it was not the first time the force had encountered heavy artillery in the municipality.

In May 2011, a family called police to turn in an M72 rocket launcher dating to the 1970s from the estate of their relative, a collector of military memorabilia.

It was still operational, but thankfully didn’t come equipped with rockets.

“They did the right thing in contacting us,” Const. MacDonald said, stressing the importance of public safety.

“If somebody doesn’t have any experience with firearms and manage to inherit one of these items, it’s best to dispose of it, whether through a private sale or donation to a museum or turning it over to police.”

Abbotsford plans to continue the weapon amnesty service through the year. Anyone who wishes to turn in an unwanted weapon can do so by calling the department at 604-859-5225.

Be thankful it was not a "non-military grade missle".  ;)

Caramon_Majere said:
Could someone please explain to me how his relative smuggled home a missile?

Watched that episode of MASH where Radar mailed home the jeep piece by piece.  :rofl:

Looks like a CRV 7 with a rattle can paint job.

It (M72) was still operational, but thankfully didn’t come equipped with rockets.

So it was a plastic tube?  What is operational about a plastic tube?  It extends and retracts? ???

Robert0288 said:
So it was a plastic tube?  What is operational about a plastic tube?  It extends and retracts? ???

Yep. Just like all the others that you can pick up at the army surplus stores.

Robert0288 said:

Everything like this, to the press, and oft times the police, is hyped to the public.

That's why every rifle with a plastic stock is a "dangerous and deadly AK-47 military assault rifle" even if it's a .22 Cooey.

Kat Stevens said:
Looks like a CRV 7 with a rattle can paint job.

Aren't CRV-7 fins rounded; the ones in the photo look straight. Plus, the rear part of the rocket looks smaller than the upper stage.

Hard to tell from the pic, but those fins do look sprung.  The nose is also wrong for a CRV-7, but in my defence I haven't seen one in almost 30 years...  ;D

Kat Stevens said:
Hard to tell from the pic, but those fins do look sprung.  The nose is also wrong for a CRV-7, but in my defence I haven't seen one in almost 30 years...  ;D

Actually, I think the top portion of the "rocket" is just some metal pole that was used as a marker and happened to have a pointy end and then someone took a fired rocket motor and stuck it in the bottom and voilà you got a "missile."

Any way, sent a email to the Abbotsford PD PIO seeing if they had any luck in identifying it.

Retired AF Guy said:
Actually, I think the top portion of the "rocket" is just some metal pole that was used as a marker and happened to have a pointy end and then someone took a fired rocket motor and stuck it in the bottom and voilà you got a "missile."

Any way, sent a email to the Abbotsford PD PIO seeing if they had any luck in identifying it.

Got a reply back from the PIO and he said that they didn't have a chance to identify the rocket as the military came and took the rocket off their hands.

Sounds like we have the start of a conspiracy. :Tin-Foil-Hat:

>:D

Back