• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Military Essay - I Need help

paracowboy said:
Tactical Corporal. Do some research on the phrase, and it should arm you for your paper.

I believe that's "Strategic Corporal".

Strategic Corporal
Three block war.....

It is probably worth mentioning - especially in an open-ended subject like philosophy - that the reason your teacher is being so vague is that he really doesn't care about the actual answer, but rather the aim of the exercise is to see if you are capable of forming an opinion about a subject, and then supporting that opinion via a well-written, well-researched essay.

If so, then your focus should be on forming that opinion (whatever it may be) doing the research to pull up supporting facts, and then crafting it all together into a single, cohesive, and compelling whole.

The thing to remember is that an essay is a very specific type of document. It is an argument, in which you are trying to sway someone to your point of view without being physically present. Unlike debate or discussion, there is no back-and-forth in an essay; it (and its argument) must stand on its own merits.

There is a formal structure to an essay: topic sentence and introduction, supporting arguments, each with a cited fact or example (usually best grouped in threes) and a summary and conclusion.That structure is important - it is the bones upon which you flesh out your argument. If you haven't been taught this already, do some reading on the hows and wherefores of essay writing.

The meat of your essay is the supporting arguments and the cited facts that support them in turn. This is where you can get a lot of help here, as you can get leads on potential facts from lots of regular forum members (as you are doing now)

But the start point is to come up with your topic sentence; the point you intend to prove. One might be "While the demands of the battlefield require a more authoritarian approach than is typically found in civiallian life, soldiers are not mindless drones following orders, but rather have considerable leeway to decide their own fate". Another might be "While soldiers are required to surrender certain aspects of their free will during the conduct of their duties, the end result of that surrender, when tied to responsible and moral political leadership, is a net positive for the community as a whole".

Etc.

Good luck!

DG

hmm, I have always heard it referred to as 'Tactical', but 'Strategic' certainly fits the bill better.

And, I'm still pissed that a stupid pole is getting more action than me! Pretty young girls kissin' poles when I'm standing right here, all kissable an' shit...bloody bollocks right there!

Here's one for biased teachers.

I work out with a guy who is a HS teacher.  Recently, BC teachers went on strike about a government bill regarding their bargining status.  The strike was considered illegal by the court but the BCTF refused to go back to work.  However, this guy decides to cross the picket line because he refuses to break the law.  He gets taunted, union bullies show up at his wife's place of work and try to intimidate her, etc, etc.  Anyways, the teachers cave the next week and go back to work.

So, given that the teachers ultimately gave into the demands of the government and the court to return the work, were the other teachers who illegally stayed on the picket line (and screwed the parents who payed their wages over) in the wrong?  Was the action of crossing the picket line by the one guy ultimately the right one to take?

Send that to your teacher.

paracowboy said:
hmm, I have always heard it referred to as 'Tactical', but 'Strategic' certainly fits the bill better.
I mis-remembered (what a wonderful word! Sounds so much better than "I had a senior moment and confused 'Tactical' with 'Strategic', 'cause I'm a dumbass" doesn't it?) I feel shame...

And, I'm still pissed that a stupid pole is getting more action than me! Pretty young girls kissin' poles when I'm standing right here, all kissable an' crap...bloody bollocks right there!
this still applies!

paracowboy said:
And, I'm still pissed that a stupid pole is getting more action than me! Pretty young girls kissin' poles when I'm standing right here, all kissable an' crap...bloody bollocks right there!

To be young again eh?

As a 'teacher' that sometimes assigns interesting topics to students, I have some suggestions. 

First, write down the purpose of the report in one sentence.  Based on the posts so far, your topic sentence does not seem clear. 

Second, make an outline of your essay. The outline is critical to the success of your essay or research report.  Without one you will likely write in a disorganized fashion, get a poor mark, and mistakenly think that you got that mark because the teacher disagreed with you.  Make headings that arise from that outline and use them in your paper to force you to write in a coherent fashion.  If the expectation is that there not be any headings as coherence devices (some essays), then remove them when you have finished writing. 

Third, write an introduction that provides the aim and objectives of the report.  Focus your paper on a particular point of view that is clear from your topic sentence. 

Fourth, present the information that both challenges and supports that view in the body of your paper.  Refute the challenges where possible.  Provide a balanced look at the issue.  Provide sources for the information that you are supplying so that your instructor can see that you are not merely plagiarizing the work of others. 

Finally, write a conclusion that does not contain any new information, but clearly states (summarizes) what you have learned from your research.  If appropriate for the paper make recommendations. 

Regardless of the point of view that your instructor has assigned, realize that the main objective is not for you to parrot what you perceive that the teacher wants to hear, but that you present an argument in a coherent and rational fashion.

Good luck on your paper.

This sounds quite interesting. If you don't mind, could you post your finished product here for the forum to peruse?

Yes I will post the finished product for all of you to critic. Just don't be too harsh ....

Back