• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Military Essay - I Need help

Freerider

Inactive
Reaction score
Believe me I don't like this probably as much as all of you will. I am in my last year of highschool and in a university philosophy class. For my major essay my teacher asked if I would do the topic Authoritarianism in the Military. Its a pretty broad topic which I am almost thankful for. If anyone knows any information that may help me support my thesis that paraphrased basically is 'Soldiers who disobey a direct order than intern had a positive affect in community don't deserve to be punished for their actions' don't worry its not that poorly written. My teacher selected the topic and the point of view I had to take.

My sources must be recent and examples no earlier than 1939. I am looking at the Canadian Military specifically. Thanks for your time.

You may want to search on the term "illegal order" as a start to consider instances where a soldier is justified in disobeying an issued order.

Other aspects that come to mind that may need better definition to situate your thesis include:

- whose viewpoint is used to define "positive effect in community"?
- define that community (the military unit, the township or other jurisdiction within which the military operations take place, .... etc.)
- what would be the "acceptable" loss in unit cohesion/discipline/etc at the cost of an external "positve effect"; and who gets to decide that balance?

You teacher seems to have prejudged the case, without a clear understanding of the military social environment to start with.

It would appear that he/she would decide that a mutiny that makes a unit incapable of launching an attack in which collateral damage might include non-combatants would be an acceptable action because it prevented those deaths at the cost of the operation and its resultant effects. Yet, conversely, the damage to the military community could be devastating.

Please define positive affect in community and how it relates to refusal to follow order, lawful order unlawful?
Tought teacher!

"It would appear that he/she would decide that a mutiny that makes a unit incapable of launching an attack in which collateral damage might include non-combatants would be an acceptable action because it prevented those deaths at the cost of the operation and its resultant effects. Yet, conversely, the damage to the military community could be devastating."

Notwithstanding the fact that, mutiny during combat ops would usually have the effect of drastic measures being taken to restore order.... in jail forever if you are unlucky - or a quick death if you aren't :|

Freerider said:
Believe me I don't like this probably as much as all of you will. I am in my last year of highschool and in a university philosophy class. For my major essay my teacher asked if I would do the topic Authoritarianism in the Military. Its a pretty broad topic which I am almost thankful for. If anyone knows any information that may help me support my thesis that paraphrased basically is 'Soldiers who disobey a direct order than intern had a positive affect in community don't deserve to be punished for their actions' don't worry its not that poorly written. My teacher selected the topic and the point of view I had to take.

My sources must be recent and examples no earlier than 1939. I am looking at the Canadian Military specifically. Thanks for your time.

You should write an essay on shitty teachers and the shity essay's they make their students write, you can title it "Authoritarianism in Teaching: Masking Bias in the Classroom..."  Philosphy my ass.
Philosphy is about thinking not propoganda. 

The topic is passing strange to me and probably reflects a bias on the part of your teacher. However, there were at least two occasions in the campaign in North West Europe where brigade and/or battalion commanders refused to continue an attack because they had lost confidence in their superior officer. The better known took place during Operation Spring circa 25 July 1944 in Normandy when the commander of 9 Canadian Infantry Brigade and two of his battalion commanders took this extreme step. They were relieved but escaped further disciplinary action, perhaps because the divisional commander was in danger of being canned himself for his poor performance.

To do so is a drastic step and a group of soldiers that tried something along those lines would likely not get as sympathetic a hearing. One could argue that they took the right, if not the militarily correct, step.

I would suggest you write an article on helicopter pilot WO Hugh Thompson, who when witnessing the Mai Lai Massacre, placed his aircraft between the American soldiers and the Viet villagers. He then ordered his crew to shot any Americans that continued to kill civilians.

To give American Soldiers to shot their own would at the outset of any argument would appear to be wrong. However, if the order was used to stop an atrocity and is justifiable then it is correct and legal. I have copy a small part of an editorial and provided the link.

Personal, the framing of the teachers thesis seems to appear somewhat slanted and anti- military in context, however, I wish you luck in showing her/him that Soldiers more times then not do the right think and represent the very best values a nation can provide. :salute:

http://www.renewamerica.us/columns/mostert/040518

"While even today nearly everyone knows the name of Lt. William Calley, who was court-martialed for the Mai Lai massacre, few today know the name of Hugh Thompson, the helicopter pilot who stopped the massacre and promptly reported it to his commander. According to Chief My Lai prosecutor William Eckhardt, when Thompson realized what was happening "He put his helicopter down, put his guns on Americans, and said he would shoot them if they shot another Vietnamese. He then had his people wade in the ditch in gore to their knees, to their hips, took out children, took them to the hospital...flew back [to headquarters], standing in front of people, tears rolling down his cheeks, pounding on the table saying, 'Notice, notice, notice'...then had the courage to testify time after time after time.""

UberCree said:
You should write an essay on shitty teachers and the shity essay's they make their students write, you can title it "Authoritarianism in Teaching: Masking Bias in the Classroom..."   Philosphy my ***.
Philosphy is about thinking not propoganda.

Do this one.  Well, do your essay, let me write this one, and hand it in as well.

Old Sweat said:
The topic is passing strange to me and probably reflects a bias on the part of your teacher. However, there were at least two occasions in the campaign in North West Europe where brigade and/or battalion commanders refused to continue an attack because they had lost confidence in their superior officer. The better known took place during Operation Spring circa 25 July 1944 in Normandy when the commander of 9 Canadian Infantry Brigade and two of his battalion commanders took this extreme step. They were relieved but escaped further disciplinary action, perhaps because the divisional commander was in danger of being canned himself for his poor performance.

To do so is a drastic step and a group of soldiers that tried something along those lines would likely not get as sympathetic a hearing. One could argue that they took the right, if not the militarily correct, step.

a former CO of my 1st unit was a Bde commander that was bumped down for refusing an order that was proven to be wrong.... he lost his Bde, was brought back down to LCol and uhhh.... never saw another command.... but I take my hat off to him.

Such good ideas an examples. Thanks a lot everyone. believe me my teacher is very strange in matters like this. He is very unclear about what he expects out of this writing. If there's anything else that anyone can think of it would be greatly appreciated. Oh and by the way, if anyone feels like writing this for me feel free. Ha ha I am just kidding around.

I just have one last thing. I remember a long time ago, a Warrant told me about a sergeant in Bosnia who witnessed the murder and torture of villagers by opposing forces and were ordered not to interfere but the next night when it happened again he and his men attacked to try and save the people. He faced punishment or something for his actions though they seemed lawful. Anyone else hear about this or was the warrant just telling stories?

sounds a little fishy to me, but stranger things have happened I suppose.

Have you considered delivering a throat-punch to your butt-munch teacher? (Hey, that could be worked into a rhyme!)

And, what's up with you and the pole in your picture, there?

Some how I don't think that would work so well with me trying to get into university. After all I need a good mark in this class. Sucks eh?

As for the pole and I. My friends and I had a competition at Loon New Hampshire and we had a little to much to drink, made a scavenger hunt, one of the things was make out with a pole, so I did it and that's the picture.

"Authoritarian (autocratic)
This style is used when the leader tells her employees what she wants done and how she wants it done, without getting the advice of her followers. Some of the appropriate conditions to use it is when you have all the information to solve the problem, you are short on time, and your employees are well motivated.
Some people tend to think of this style as a vehicle for yelling, using demeaning language, and leading by threats and abusing their power. This is not the authoritarian style...rather it is an abusive, unprofessional style called bossing people around. it has no place in a leaders repertoire.

The authoritarian style should normally only be used on rare occasions. If you have the time and want to gain more commitment and motivation from your employees, then you should use the participative "

-style.http://www.nwlink.com/~donclark/leader/leadstl.html

A start.  Keep it broad.  So much happens so fast, that authoritarian is needed to avoid useles carnage.  Indeed, authoritarian SAVES more deaths than it causes.  Imagine the stored violence of a military unit out of control suddenly unleashed wihout direction.  There is a good case to be made here for  dynamic leaders surgically applying ALL types of leadership.  Make it.

Nice to have a chance to educate a teacher, isnt it?

Tom

Free Rider,

Good luck and yes there are incidents that have a similar ring to them as your warrant described, I know of a few such situations. Watch the movie Op Tango (3 hour mini series) it depicts a very waterdown version of a similar event. Watered down so it would withstand normal Canadian TV.

Perhaps some anecdotal evidence will help, a bit.

Many, many decades back, when I was a young soldier, I used to make known my concerns about various and sundry things such as polishing the backs of our buttons and the insteps of our boots.  These little requirements were imposed upon us, now and again, in a totally autocratic manner by corporals and sergeants who were, in turn, responding to warrant officers and officers.

Once, having said my piece, whilst earnestly painting a rock or, more likely, applying thin strips of blue, gold and black paint to a curb, I found myself in a 'conversation' with an NCO - an NCO with, inter alia, an MM on his chest - leading a fair 'rack' of service medals and campaign stars.  Having satisfied himself that I was not a bit of pond scum too many miles from shore he explained: "big and busy and crowded as the battlefield is, lad, you are often - way too often for comfort - all by your lonesome.  There is no one to tell you what to do or how to do it now; you have to decide for yourself.  It's a very confusing, frightening place, not just the first time, either, and it's hard to think things through and remember battle-drills and procedures so we all need to do the right thing the first time, instinctively.  The way we do that is by overcoming our fear; what helps us to overcome our fear is our sure and certain knowledge that there are 'right things' to do and 'right ways' to do them.  No one will tell you, you have to know, all this BS, the shining and painting and polishing and playing at toy soldiers on parade is designed to provide you with tools to overcome your fear and to do the right thing, the right way, right now.  We do all this to you in the comfort of a peacetime camp because you have to do it for yourself when it really counts."

So yes, there is autocracy but, very often, the individual soldier is on his own - perhaps part of a small team - and (s)he/they must dig deep to overcome their natural, human fear and then do whatever is necessary.  The autocracy of military discipline and training helps to 'stiffen' them.

(Call me the confused philosopher ???)

The way I see things there is only one type of discipline that counts - SELF discipline. A superior can attempt to impose discipline, but the individual must be willing to accept it Yes, someone who disobeys a direct order can be punished, but if the punishment does not change the ways of the individual, then there is no discipline.  Some people willingly accept imposed discipline, and some will never accept "being told what to do". In between the extremes are most people - willing to do what they have been told to do, but little else (usually avoids volunteering for extra tasks, for example) and those who "seek and accept responsibility" (Where have I heard that before?). To do the tasks without being told shows a higher level of self discipline than those who "go along, get along". To do a task that involves great personal sacrifice, and to do it without hesitation shows great self discipline. To motivate others by your example of self discipline is a part of LEADERSHIP.
Sorry for the rambling, need to go to bed earlier...

Edward.... ergo the term "drill".... battle drills or ceremonial drills, out to do the same thing.... do things in a continuous manner till it becomes second nature. Eventualy, when you are out on your lonesome with no one to give you orders or instructions... you push instinct (and pucker factor) to the side and follow your drills.

Okay, I have decided to take a different turn in my essay just to play against what my teacher is kind of stating because he obviously feels the millitary is nothing more than one guy telling us all what to do and that's wrong. I however can not write an essay on what I don't believe so I am turning my ideas around and saying that we need set regulations in the army to prevent idiots with weapons in their hands from doing something stupid and possibly harming a civilian or another soldier. I can still use some good examples because the ones I have are basically the My Lai Massacre and the the March 4th 1993 incident in Africa. If anyone else has any additional information that would help me I would love to hear about it. If anyone has a statement to make then please post it here along with your information so I can include in my text.

I better get a 90 on this paper.

freeride,
The army does not want a bunch of drones. We train our troops to work and make decisions at the section level (our lowest level).... The rifle section even has "it" broken down into fire & movement teams.... certainly receiving orders from up above but provided with the training and resources to operate independently.

Members of engineer sections are all trained in small party tasks, they are expected to think for themselves, analyse problems and with their "mates" solve the problem.

There was a time when the Soviet (conscript) army would train only it's officers in mapreading and other essential military skills. The troops were expected to OBEY.

If your teacher is looking for drones... he's looking in the wrong woodpile IMHO

geo said:
freeride,
The army does not want a bunch of drones. We train our troops to work and make decisions at the section level (our lowest level).... The rifle section even has "it" broken down into fire & movement teams.... certainly receiving orders from up above but provided with the training and resources to operate independently.
Tactical Corporal. Do some research on the phrase, and it should arm you for your paper.

Back