• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Military Attaches

ReadyAyeReady

Inactive
Reaction score
How does the military attache system work?  Are attaches appointed or do they apply for the position?  If so what are the eligibility requirements?  Just curious, its something I never really hear much about, but I imagine it would be an exciting job to be one.

Good question and one I'd like to know more about myself.  Something tells me pbi is gonna know.  That guy's been around.  Chime in?

Is it something colonel or above receives as an appointment to serve as Cdn mil attache in a foreign nation?  Security arrangements?  Anyone have any experience?

Mr. Ted

Ex-Wing Commander of Moose Jaw was posted to India to the be the Military Attache for the Canadian Government.  He is a full Colonel with plenty of boxes checked in his C.V. - He and his family were moved out with a palatial house provided in which to reside (with servants et al).  Definately a job that is reserved for Senior Officers of merit.

PBI may well have some more info, but I can add what I know, having worked with a couple of MAs overseas.

Generally, you're picked for the job.  The competition can be fierce, especially for the better postings.  Then comes a year (or two) of language training in Borden if required.  Most MAs (not all) are at the full Col level and they usually have a very small staff (a clerk, etc).  Canada doesn't appoint an attache to every nation.  Instead, MAs may be accredited to several different countries at once.  For instance, the MA to Saudi Arabia also covered off Bahrein, Qatar, the UAE (although this has since changed), Oman and (I believe) Kuwait.  The work can be interesting, but I gather (speaking extensively to our Saudi MA) that the diplomatic circuit wears a bit thin after a while.  Money's good, though, and it would certainly be a good go for one posting.

No doubt others have more info, but hope this helps...

TR

Well I managed to scrounge up some info after a little detective work on the DND website.  Under the DCDS there is the Department of Protocol and Foreign Liason (DPFL).  The DPFL is responsible for the attche system and there is a downloadable document detailing the system for anyone interested.

I've posted the link below.  On the left hand side of the page click on DPFL 2...the click on the CDA's link and it will take you to 2 downloadable word documents describing the attache system.

Seems like a great job to me.  Embassy parties, palatial homes with servants...

http://www.forces.gc.ca/dcds/units/dpfl/default_e.asp

Teddy and Ready have answered it better than I could have. As far as asking versus selection goes, I think it's like any other posting in the Army: you can ask all you want, but in the end the military will decide. One thing I've noticed is that the guys I've known (four...) who've done Military Attache duty were good, steady and experienced officers, but not "fast movers".

Cheers

Attaches are busy all the time hosting parties, going to parties and collecting intel on various military and political issues. A few weeks ago I was at our military attaches residence in downtown Paris. It's a pretty nice place in an upscale part of the city. It's situated on a top floor, with a balcony and a fairly nice view. In the same area are military attaches residences of various other countries.

A couple of corrections an clairifications to the good info already provided:

Language trg is conducted at the NCR Coy of the CF Language School, at the Asticou Ctr in Hull. Depending on the language it's 10 months to two years. As well there may be additional Attache training which includes a number of other skills that I won't go into here. Most of that is geared for what are referred to as "Hard" posts.

With only a few exceptions a CDA (Canadian Defence Attache) office is a two-person shop: the CDA himself (normally a Col) and the Admin assitant (usually an RMS clerk Sgt, in some posts an Int Op Sgt). Many of the less popular posts have LCols in them, some as WSE Col (depending on the Host Nation).

While competition for the AA positions is pretty-well universally fierce, that is not so for the CDA. A number of the less high profile CDA slots end up being manned by dead-ended LCols (sounds bad, let me elabourate). This does not always mean officers that are failures, it just often means those who are not high-flyers. They will often choose the CDA route especially if they have lots of FS points racked up, and can earn more than they would as a full Col. Some LCols become "professional CDAs" and go from post to post.

Finally, the "palatial" accomodations can often be somewhat less than they appear. Conditions can involve pollution beyond anything you can imagine (try Dehli or Cairo), and things we usually take for granted like clean electricity and water are non-existant, or very irregular. At first blush it seems quite luxurious, but the little inconveniences can get waering over a two to three year posting. Top that with security concerns in some places (i.e. Islamabad was, and may still be, an unaccompanied post due to high risk) including having one's family in location (picture having your kids attending the French School in Cote d'Ivoire) and the stress can mount quickly.

Some postings are pretty posh, but not all. And after the first month of attending receptions and dinners it gets wearing. They earn their pay, believe me.

Acorn

Acorn:  perfect.  On the lang trg, I stand corrected.  It used to be Borden, as far as I know.

This does not always mean officers that are failures, it just often means those who are not high-flyers. They will often choose the CDA route especially if they have lots of FS points racked up, and can earn more than they would as a full Col.

Acorn, I rather prefer PBI's comments, than yours ;D, but then again the CDA positions, unlike the CDAA don't usual result in promotion.  It just highlights the differences between the officer career stream and the NCO's.  I would like to think we don't put any failures in a diplomatic post regardless of rank, but I am also not naive enough to think it doesn't happen.  Regardless, the "glamorous life" is not always so glamorous.  If family can come to the post, always the aspect of being "asked to leave at short notice" can result in the very least, the lose of anything you bring overseas, and of course we know what the worst case scenario would be.  As PBI knows I am not a CDA, but I believe the military is well served by both the non-high flying officers and the streaming NCOs, it makes for a nice balance IMHO. Cheers

Good topic   LOL

Yup, it's a 2 person post in most cases.   From the outside it looks rather posh, but when it comes down to it, it takes a certain type of person to do the job.   Dinners and receptions do wear thin after awhile along with the more official duties.   Definitely not your 8-4 job and not 5 days a week either!!!   The CDA is "lucky" if he has 1-2 evenings free a week for him and his family and that is not even taking into consideration the amount of travel he has to do if there are other countries involved.   The CDA AA is at his/her own pace, depending on how active they want to become in the Diplomatic/Business Circles or Community.   If the AA is not careful, they too can end up spending many evenings/weekends involved in community activities.

It takes "alot" of adjustment and patience, especially on the part of your spouse.   There are no other military people around to talk your frustrations out with and it can get lonely, especially if you don't branch out and make friends.

Selection for the CDA is done by DSA (Director Senior Appointments).   The Col's/LCol's are very experienced and usually take the job due to time in and the slim aspect of future promotion.   CDA AA's are selected by the CM's who refer the files to DPFL, who interview and make the selection.   After that is a year or two of foreign language training in Ottawa (Asticou) before going to post.

For some it is a good position and for others, well, they just don't like it for what ever the reason.   If your doing it for the money or travel, that's the wrong reasons and you could be in for a shock.

All in all, there is never a dull moment and when there is, it usually means the calm before the storm!

Excellent wealth of information as always - this board enjoys true breadth of experience from its members.

What about reserve L.Col/Col?  What if their chosen destination was, say Mexico for family reasons and they already spoke the language fluently and had lived there previously?  Would that in any way assist in their selection?

May be hard to answer but out of curiosity...

Mr. Ted

Mr Ted,

The problem would be, as always, funding for a Cl C position (and I guess that the host country may be offended by getting "just" a Reservist...)

Dave
Hoping to be a CDA someday.

DAA is obviously the expert here, but makes a good point that partially answers Mr Ted's question.  CDAs are very experienced because they have to be - most deal with a huge array of issues and must be familiar with all three services.  A lot of what they do (again deferring to DAA) is quite sensitive and they need the background to advise both the Mission and Canada.  PPCLI Guy has two good points too.

The long and short:  I doubt many Reservists have the experience necessary - unless they're "retread" Reg F.  Just my opinion.

TR

The military attache posting is a "plum" job and I can't say I have ever heard of a shortage of volunteers to fill the vacancies that would require a Reservist to fill the job. 

CDAs most definitely have been around. I haven't heard of an example of a reservist filling a slot. Normally a LCol will fill the position (they are all remar Col) sometimes with a WSE promotion if the host country is offended by having a "junior" officer as a military representative.

DAA, how is your boss (G.S.) looking fwd to his posting back to Canada this summer?

Acorn

I will try to answer most of the questions starting from my original post down.

A Reserve LCol/Col as a CDA?  Could be possible, here the Americans do it believe it or not and so do the Germans.  Speaking a foreign language and subsequent selection to that country is not a guarantee that a LCol/Col could be sent there.  It would only mean they would be language tested and then possibly have the training waived.  As far as the host nation being offended, that could be entirely true, especially when there is only 1 CDA at the mission.  You never know what the response will be until you try it.

Military Attaché posting is a "plum" job?  You would tend to think so, seeing as they have a strong social/diplomatic ccommitmentwhich looks enticing.  The CDA starts work at 0730-0800 hrs and goes until 1630-1700 hrs.  Goes home, changes into uniform and maybe, just maybe has a quick snack because he has a reception at 1900 hrs, then back home to change from uniform to suit and a dinner party at 2030 hrs and lucky to be home by 2400 hrs.  The work week here is Sun-Thurs, but the CDA's evenings are typically what you see above.  This is a recurring cycle of no less than 4 days a week.  For the first month I was slightly envious of the CDA, but after awhile of maintaining his schedule for him I was just amazed that they can do this sort of thing day in and day out.  I like my time at home to relax or maybe play sports, for the CDA and his family, such a thing is a luxury!  So if you like 16 hour days/5-7 days a week, welcome to the fold.

All CDA positions are hard Col's.  But yet, there are LCol's filling some of these positions, which to me says there are not enough to go around.  As to whether a LCol can fill the position, that is a diplomatic question and at the ddiscretionof the host nation whether they will "accept" a lower rank.

Once you have been in the position for a few months and had the chance to observe the CDA in his environment you can see the actual meaning of "Diplomat Soldier".  Some of the CDA's enjoy there time and the work so much that they ask to continue with the program.  But the larger percentage of them I think just couldn't spend more than 3 years at it.  If they don't have grey hair when they arrive, they sure will before they leave!

So on the social/work aspects for the AA, well here is a sample!  I am in to the office this morning at 0700 hrs, we have an Embassy Function at 1600 hrs this afternoon, which of course I have to plan because if the Military doesn't do it, it won't get done.  After that is over, I have a dinner to attend at 1930 hrs.  Fri morning I have to meet with the CDA (he's away now) and then I have a fund raising B.B.Q. in the afternoon (got sucked into that one).  Sat I leave Cairo at 0530 hrs to travel south with a couple of Embassy pers and will be gone the entire day and probably not back until night fall.  Then Sun morning the work week starts over again.  So as you can see, my weekend (Fri-Sat) is not for relaxing  again!  Friday night is free, but I am sure my phone will ring and it will be another local AA hosting something.

Every mission is different and no two jobs are the same.  I enjoy my work here, but if I went to another mission the circumstances could very well be different.

So if you want to become a CDA or an AA, make sure you take the job for the right reasons.

For Acorn - I think the boss is looking forward to his return to Canada after two tours as a CDA.  It will be a sad day when he leaves as I thoroughly enjoy working for him.  But when he leaves, I have to train a new LCol!  ;D

Military Attaché posting is a "plum" job?  You would tend to think so, seeing as they have a strong social/diplomatic ccommitmentwhich looks enticing.  The CDA starts work at 0730-0800 hrs and goes until 1630-1700 hrs.  Goes home, changes into uniform and maybe, just maybe has a quick snack because he has a reception at 1900 hrs, then back home to change from uniform to suit and a dinner party at 2030 hrs and lucky to be home by 2400 hrs.  The work week here is Sun-Thurs, but the CDA's evenings are typically what you see above.  This is a recurring cycle of no less than 4 days a week.  For the first month I was slightly envious of the CDA, but after awhile of maintaining his schedule for him I was just amazed that they can do this sort of thing day in and day out.  I like my time at home to relax or maybe play sports, for the CDA and his family, such a thing is a luxury!  So if you like 16 hour days/5-7 days a week, welcome to the fold.

DAA - Military attache postings are a plum job.  I have never heard any complaints mate!  Cheers

Back