• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

MGen PJ Devlin, the Army's next CLS

pbi, couldn't agree more with your comments. I had the good fortune to serve with Gen Devlin in 97/98 when he was the 1 RCR Battle Group CO and he was an outstanding Commanding Officer, certainly among the best I've worked for (as a Gunner complimenting a Royal hurts a little...).  A real quiet professional, not at all focused on flash or self aggrandizment but extremely capable at getting the job done and getting folks to work together as a team.  He also took the time to really get to know his soldiers and officers in the Battle Group and had a genuine and obvious concern for their welfare. 

It is both amazing and deserving that Peter Devlin has leap-frogged over so many (disgruntled no doubt) people from Bde Comd Col to LGen CLS in 8 years (or less) is no small feat.  LGen Leslie has served well.  As for 1 CMBG - treated like a forgotten step-child - more like the unwanted orphan.  :-*

1 CMBG's old nickname was "The Flintstone Brigade" was it not???

In a related matter:
APPOINTMENT OF LGEN A.B. LESLIE AS THE CANADIAN FORCES CHIEF OF TRANSFORMATION... WILL ASSUME HIS NEW RESPONSIBILITIES ON 22 JUN 10
New CANFORGEN just came out

GAP said:
There goes D.R. of Congo....

Hi Gap,

Sorry but I'm not really sure of what you mean by that?
Would you explain?

Alea

LGen Leslie was rumoured to take over the UN Mission in Congo. Without him taking that position, its less likely we'd send Canadian peacekeepers into an operation that has had a lot of problems with its leadership.

I don't think choosing who a potential leader of a mission may be has any bearing whatsoever in the country's decision to send its forces somewhere.

It's not like Gen Leslie was the only man available to lead a task force.

Canada decides what it wants its foreign policy will be with no names in mind, and then the CDS gets the ball rolling as to who will lead the mission.

The thought that someone on Parliament Hill would say "Well now that the CF has done that to Gen Leslie, I guess we can't go to Congo anymore" is a bit of a stretch.

+1 are not allowed on the site, but I have to agree with Petamocto's post.

LGen Leslie may be the most ideal fit for leading a task force to the Congo, but if developing leaders has been a key tool, then MGen Devlin, or anyone assigned to lead a potential mission in the Congo will have been trained and have the needed resources.

Back