• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

methadone

Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel like I have received a lot of good information, whether it is good or bad (for my situation).  I would like to thank everyone. I could have talked to a recruiter on my own but I did want to know what others thought regarding the subject because there is nowhere else I was able to find guidance aside from the direct source.  Thank you for being straightforward with me no matter how much the truth hurts.

Bruce Monkhouse said:
I'm going to guess about half the addicts we get now started with Oxy's............"I  mean how bad can they be? My Doctor gives them out."

Any *cough* Doctor who prescribes these should be thrown in jail.....................

I don't know how serious you are about this subject but I can tell you I knew many people who knew doctors who made a living out of "prescribing oxycodone like it was candy".  I am not here to judge or throw anyone under the bus but I do not know if you are joking or not but I kind of agree with you.  I do know from personal experience that i tried to stop methadone very abruptly but I was told it was a long process and I would suffer horribly if I didn't take at least a year to complete the process.  Even during the last part of the process I had to be very vigilant to even get off methadone.  They would tell me that I would not be able to make it in life without it. This compounds the stigma and embarrassment, but  I can tell you that the doctor who "took care of me" has told me that I do not belong in his office and that I am different from the other people there and I need to get out asap.
Edit: to clarify I dealt with multiple doctors

Bruce Monkhouse said:
I'm going to guess about half the addicts we get now started with Oxy's............"I  mean how bad can they be? My Doctor gives them out."

Any *cough* Doctor who prescribes these should be thrown in jail.....................

You know Bruce now that you mention it you're right.
I had a friend who asked me for advice. She went to see a doctor about a problem and got prescribed 2 months of Oxycotin. She told me that she told the doctor that she was recovering from a substance abuse problem with pain killers and shouldn't be given that many pills at once but she was given the prescription anyways. She got it filled but then decided she didn't want them and didn't know what to do with them.

throwawayuser said:
Sorry Loachman, I didn't mean it like that.

I have no idea why you're apologizing, or what "like that" means.

Stop beating yourself up so much. You made a mistake. People do that. You're correcting yours, which is far more than many do, and I find that to be commendable.

What I meant was that I did not mean to be wanting negative responses.  I was basically expecting everyone to tell me that I am wasting my time even trying and it was a surprise to me.  Thank you, and everyone else for taking the time to respond to me.

You've got lots of support here.  Your next message back here should be letting us know how you made out at the recruiting center.

Best of luck.  :)

I actually thought about this thread on the way to work today and how much everyone here has helped me.  I also thought about the exact same thing you just mentioned.  I am already a regular lurker on this forum, I have tried to help others because I have done a ridiculous amount of research but under a different user name.  Then it hit me, even though I read so much about drug usage and criminal history (I have no criminal history), and every single possible thing, after becoming so infatuated with the idea of finally realizing my dream that I might have shot myself in the foot.  In the sense that maybe I am not the type of person who is qualified to be in the reserves based on my past and this is what scared me. There are many others out there who have a 100 percent clean past.  I thought about it and came to the understanding I would have to divulge most of the ugly parts of my life (something that is not required with most employers).  I would not be able to live with myself to not be honest, but this is the way I have always lived my life.  For a bit of additional information, I have really only had 3 employers since I was 17 and I am 26.  The only reason I left the second employer is they could not provide me with enough hours to get by (government sub contract ministry of _______).  The third job I continue to hold for 5 years is with a company every person in Canada would know if I told them.  I guarantee I will not only thank everyone, I will divulge my normal user name and donate money to this forum.  It is not just this thread that has helped me, thousands of people use this forum as a resource. In fact, it is the only proper resource for people in Canada to get answers about the forces.  Even if I am told I am barred from the forces I will probably still post what happened and donate, and divulge my real user name. Besides, the mods/any recruiters reading can find out about me anyways and I really don't have much to hide unless you are trying to publicize my problems to hurt me in some way which I highly doubt anyone here is out to do.  I will be in touch but I have to wait until I receive the phone call before April some time. You have my word I will update everyone.

..and we'll re-open this when you have something for us.
Bruce
Staff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back