• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Messed up and want to go again

wwarlockk

Inactive
Reaction score
I went to talk with an infantry reserve regiment back in Nov. During the interview I was nervous and messed it up...This is going to sound stupid, but I wasn't able to answer his questions the way I practiced it. I was stuttering and I felt I wasn't breathing right. He sent me away with an info package and told me to contact him once I've thought long and hard about it.

Now in February, I really want to go try again and apply. However I'm not sure how i go about doing it.

Do I just call the recruiter again and say, "I came in Nov for information, and would like to join up". What im trying to say is, how do i go about contacting the recruiter again and tell him I've been thinking and now want to join without it being awkward. There is even a chance he forgot who i am, if that's the case should I even mention coming in before?

:yellow:  Thanks :)

Worrying about things being awkward makes you sound like a dork.

Call the recruiter tell him that you were in in November and during the interview the recruiter said give it a couple months to think things over and call back when you're ready.
You're ready now and would like another interview.

don't practice the interview again.

Grimaldus said:
Worrying about things being awkward makes you sound like a dork.

No it doesn't, it makes you sound like you need to work on your confidence.  Which not everyone is born with - some of us have to develop it.
However, calling back as Grimaldus has suggested is the correct way to go.

Further, if you really want to practice, then do some actual interviews for some actual jobs.  You don't have to accept the job offers, but it doesn't hurt you to go and do some actual interviews.  It will help you get the confidence you need.  Good luck.

Thanks for the answers. I just don't want to go and mess it up again. But I guess, I won't know unless i try. :D

The first thing you should take away from your first attempt is a sense of pride. Perhaps you didn't make the ideal impression. Most likely you made a typical impression. None the less, you took that step. For this you should be proud.
Many young people, including myself when I was younger, find it hard to make a long term commitment to something. You have seen the potential and set your sights on a goal. Now comes the test of character. Now you have to decide what you want and stick with it. Regardless of your past or your not so successful future attempts, view them as simple stepping stones or building blocks necessary for the foundation of success. It is so easy to type, or even say, but as anyone will attest it is most hard to practice. However, with every successful thing you have done in life until now you have applied this principle, even if subconsciously. So make no more excuses for past failures. Accept no further consolation for future attempts. Decide what you want and make it happen. The person who can do this, is the type of person the Canadian Forces needs. Is this you? Perhaps!

RDJP said:
Further, if you really want to practice, then do some actual interviews for some actual jobs.  You don't have to accept the job offers, but it doesn't hurt you to go and do some actual interviews.  It will help you get the confidence you need.  Good luck.

If you want to try something a little more immediate than actual job interviews, you can stage and videotape mock interviews. This can be on your own or with friends/coworkers/family/etc. The co-operative program I was involved with in university had mandatory mock interviews, which we then had to watch with our coordinators for critique.  It may sound a little silly, but it can be really helpful in terms of confidence building and also in recognizing your nervous habits (beyond stuttering). 

Back