• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

MedTech is thinking about trying a cigar! Any suggestions?

medaid

Army.ca Veteran
Inactive
Reaction score
Okay, for those of you that know me, I neither drink, smoke or quite obviously do drugs. I am however going to try smoking cigars. I don't know, its definetly something that i've been wandering about, and wouldn't mind giving a shot before saying that it sucks. So, any experienced cigar smokers out there would like to give me some pointers and advice/suggestions as to what type of cigars I should try first?

Cheers!

Oh yes! I was staring, or rather ooogling at some Romeo and Juliets, but they carry a hefty price tag.

If your going to start, start with Quality and quality cost, once you have a good bench mark you can work your way down the price ladder to find the one more economical. I smoke one maybe once a month and at $22 or so a pop I don't think they are too bad.

MedTech said:
Okay, for those of you that know me, I neither drink, smoke or quite obviously do drugs. I am however going to try smoking cigars. I don't know, its definetly something that i've been wandering about, and wouldn't mind giving a shot before saying that it sucks. So, any experienced cigar smokers out there would like to give me some pointers and advice/suggestions as to what type of cigars I should try first?

Cheers!

For the record:  I am a smoker, and I do indulge in a cigar occasionally - then again I'm a spineless addict (but I'm workin' on it).

For MedTech:  WHY??  Why would you want to do this?  If you are a non-smoker, you should NOT inhale cigar smoke, it will quite literally make you ill.  Don't waste your time on this.  Find some OTHER risky venture to indulge in.

Roy

True enough! Thanks for suggesting that brand! I will add it to my list of must tries  :)

Roy Harding said:
For the record:  I am a smoker, and I do indulge in a cigar occasionally - then again I'm a spineless addict (but I'm workin' on it).

For MedTech:  WHY??  Why would you want to do this?  If you are a non-smoker, you should NOT inhale cigar smoke, it will quite literally make you ill.  Don't waste your time on this.  Find some OTHER risky venture to indulge in.

Roy

Hahaha I thought you're not supposed to INHALE cigar smoke anyways?  ;). Well I want to try it because I want to be able to say to myself that I have tried everything that I have ever wanted to do. Cigar smoking is one of them. Besides I've planned to be on either 3-08, 1-09 or 2-09, I think that's a risky enough venture as it is don't you?  ;D. But thanks for your warning though Roy, I will keep that deligently in my mind when I take that first puff.

Cohibas are nice, expense though. One of the best cigars I ever had was in mexico at the resort I was at they had a small cigar shop that once a week had a guy sit out front and hand roll cigars very nice. If your just looking to try something inexpensive look for Pom Poms or Captain Blacks.

I would also recommend adding some 'occasion' to the experience, I had my first cigar after a bastard of a long hike in Algonquin park; and man was it amazing!

Montecristo  -'Edmundo' or 'No. 2' (again pricey but its worth it)

MedTech said:
Hahaha I thought you're not supposed to INHALE cigar smoke anyways?  ;). Well I want to try it because I want to be able to say to myself that I have tried everything that I have ever wanted to do. Cigar smoking is one of them. Besides I've planned to be on either 3-08, 1-09 or 2-09, I think that's a risky enough venture as it is don't you?  ;D. But thanks for your warning though Roy, I will keep that deligently in my mind when I take that first puff.

Fair 'nuff.

As far as decent cigars go - the other folks here have made some very fine suggestions.

Walk softly - a small story, if you will.

In 00/01 I was serving in Banja Luka.  My very good friend was the Camp RSM (he was a Canadian in a British position - I was on the HQ MND(SW) staff).  We managed to get R&R together - and we went to Zagreb, stayed at the Hotel Esplanade, generally had a good time.  The first night we were there, we decided to just sit and relax in the hotel bar, drink brandy, and smoke cigars.  So we did.  We had a very good time - we didn't get loaded, but spent the entire evening setting the world straight, and called the waiter over once in a while for fresh cigars.  At the end of the night, upon receipt of the tab, we both got seriously sober in a nano-second.  The tab exceeded what BOTH of us had on us in cash (and we were both loaded with cash) - we had to put it on my Visa.  GOOD cigars are EXPENSIVE!  I don't recall what the final bill was (we were dealing in DM then), but it was OUTRAGEOUS - it wasn't the brandy that cost us - it was the cigars.

Good times - but EXPENSIVE times!

Roy

Roy Harding said:
If you are a non-smoker, you should NOT inhale cigar smoke, it will quite literally make you ill.

The big problem isn't so much the smoke (although inhaling isn't good) but the tarry (and generally chemical-filled) saliva, if you swallow too much of it, that will irritate your stomach. As much as I hate spitting, this is one occasion where it's somewhat okay.

Frederik G said:
The big problem isn't so much the smoke (although inhaling isn't good) but the tarry (and generally chemical-filled) saliva, if you swallow too much of it, that will irritate your stomach. As much as I hate spitting, this is one occasion where it's somewhat okay.

Good point - it's similar to smoking a pipe - your saliva glands work overtime - and if you swallow, you're "lost", so to speak.

Roy

When you are alone on the patio and its warm and sunny, get a Capt. Black cigar and enjoy it with a Capt. Morgan. :)

http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/44658/post-424652.html#msg424652

Why not just go all out and try Export 'A' green death. Don't start smoking anything, its a disgusting and addictive habbit.

Medtech,

If you go back to the thread that MichaelO. highlighted a couple of msgs back, you'll see my story in there somewhere.  I used to do cigars "now and then" as a victory dance and I am now severely hooked.  I'm trying to get off of them because they are:

a)  Bad for your health;
b)  Expensive;
c)  Bad for your health;
d)  Expensive;
e)  Bad for your health;
f)  Expensive;
g)  Bad for your health: and
h)  Expensive.

Are you noticing a trend? My wind is gone when I do anything strenuous, my throat tickles all the time, I have a bad smoker's cough...this is not some reformed smoker going all holier-than-thou type self-righteous on you.  This is a guy who didn't smoke until he was 47 years old, and started having cigars, "just for the experience", and is finding the experience has gone on too long and isn't fun anymore.

Give your head a shake.  Your handle is Medtech...'nuff said.

I have quit cigs, but still smoke the occasional cigar.  With the level of chemical that I am getting with each one, I doubt that it will lower my lifespan.  I don't inhale them, never have, and don't suggest it to anyone.

Thomas Hinds used to have a shop in Kitchener, closed for a few years now.  I buy all of my cigars there, as I am very partial to their house brands.  The quality has always been hgh, and the price tag is somewhat lower that the R&J or Cohiba.

I would reccomend a short, 5ish" and from 35 to 39 gauge for your first.  Not too long that you will get sick of it before you're done.

One good way is to go into your local cigar shop and just shoot the sh!# with the guy, and have him recommend something to you. More often than not, the guys working there are VERY knowledgable, and have FNG smokers in all the time. One of the great things about cigars is that there are so many brands, sizes, and flavors, that you can constantly be trying new things. I had the guy at the shop recommend a Rafael Gonzalez smoke to me not too long ago, it was their pantella line, and it was fantastic. Within a week of smoking it I went back and bought the remainder of his box to put in my humidor. These are priced around $5 a pop, and might be a good solution if you're worried about prices.

And don't worry so much about price, you can get some fantastic smokes in the 3-6 buck range. (And I agree with the above poster saying to stick to smaller ring guages, but to each his own)

Steer clear of those captain black/century same/backwoods type of cigars that you can grab at the gas station. They will generally leave you with a bad experience, basically saying "yup, its a cigar, no big deal" rather than "wow that tasted great".

Storage is very important with cigars. When you buy it, toss it in a tuberwear container or zip lock bag with a damp paper towel or something in their for moister (make sure they don't touch). Before I got my humidor, I'd use tuberware for the cigar, then put the damp towel in a zip lock bag and toss it in, but not sealing the bag. Depending on who you ask, this method is good for anywhere from a day to few weeks. I've used this method for one or two weeks at a time personally, and had no issues (you're probably only going a few days I assume?).

HitOrMiss, I've got a R&J No 2 and a No 3 in my humidor that my sister gave me for xmas. You've talked me into trying the No 2 the next time I get an hour to sit down.

Ummm is it me or did this thread move from what type of cigar should I try, to lets tell this guy what not to do.....

Come on here clearly MedTech is an adult and can decide for himself what he will and wont do, I think people here are a weee bit over reacting thinking of trying one Cigar isn't going to really haveany adverse long term effects on his health. Now if was saying "So I think I might give crack a go what do you all think?" then yeah I see how the reaction might be the way it is LMAO

MedTech you have that cigar and I hope you enjoy (not too much or you'll start smoking all the time and then I'll look a right perfect a**) And like I said earlier For your first go all out try that Romeo & Julietta #2 or the Montecristo or even the Cohiba (though I am not a fan) Have a nice glass of Scotch with it ( I enjoy JD neat with a twist of sprinkle of lemon juice I fine the cherry flavor of my R&J comes out nice and the sour mash just a wee bit more tart in the drink) and just enjoy the whole experience.

Darnit now I want to have a Cigar, see what you did MedTech!  ;)

Back