• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

MedTech is thinking about trying a cigar! Any suggestions?

First one i smoked was the biggest Churchill the guy at the store had  ;D
All or nothing right?  :blotto:

smileyRegular.gif

HitorMiss said:
Darnit now I want to have a Cigar, see what you did MedTech!  ;)

hahaha I am innocent! :D Thanks for your suggestions though. I think I'll go and pick one up today, a R&J #2. Funny thing was I was thinking about having a glass of scotch while I was at it  ;D

Okey dokey

We’ve now had the legions of non smokers point out it’s bad, but he’s a grown up ( one presumes) and therefore if he wishes to engage in a activity/vice that is most likely dangerous to his health and seen by some persons these days as anti social, well that’s his choice.

I smoke cigars and have since 1993-94. Not many and not as many these days as I did say ten years ago. That’s mainly due to the fact I don’t go out for a beer as much as I did five years ago (I can only beg and plead with the D9er so many times a month) and the lack of places to indulge at least here in Big Brother Ontario.

For the record I had my last cigarette in 1979 and as far as I can recall have only had cravings for a ciggie twice since 1979, both times in the field when I was cold wet and miserable.

Now that Patio season and army.ca meet and greet seasons have both started I will probably enjoy more than a few hand rolled cigars in the upcoming weeks. Last night on a patio I enjoyed both a small Filippino cigar and later an R&J Churchill. They were the first cigars I’ve had since Feb when during a week in the DR I went through a good 3-5 a day various sizes and makes.

Now that I’ve established my somewhat credentials as an SME on to the topic at hand, as both Oakley Boy and Roy said its an expensive habit. Then again so are many other hobbies or past times, such as Golf.

Personal favourites for me are Cohiba both Esplendidos and/or Lanceros both noted are expensive here in Canada with the former coming in at $60.00-80.00 a pop and the later only slightly less. I refuse to pay that and usually grab a box or two in Havana whenever I’m down there.

Price isn’t everything though I often enjoy the local Peso cigar as well. As the name implies they cost on e Cuba Peso each with and exchange rate of some $25.00 Cdn to the Cuban Peso a bundle of 25 costs me a buck. at 4 cents each they're still a decent smoke.

Dominican, Honduran, Filipinio, Mexican, Nicarauguan, Spanish, Dutch and even Colombian cigars of all shapes sizes and price tags have found their way into my humidor over the years. Almost all have been enjoyed.

Roy also hit on the other main aspect of this past time. It’s a total experience. I have fond memories of sitting in heavy leather chair in a Havana bar listerning to a good jazz band, enjoying a 10 year old Havana club and indulging in a nice Lancero just relishing the moment. Watching the sunset over the South China Sea with a cheap cigar bought at the local store for a few cents was also memorable, as was breaking bread with friends and colleagues over a nice cigar and drink including Tess and a few others here. The cigar itself is often not as important as the atmosphere and the company.

Come to think of it last time I saw him, I gave Oakley boy a decent smoke to enjoy when he had time to after going to play in the sandbox, because we didn't have time to enjoy one together that night. One hopes he had time to do so.

I’d suggest finding a good cigar store where you live and paying a visit. Explain to the owner/staff why you’re there and have him/her make recommendations. Listen as they take you into the walk in humidor and explain the virtues of the different types and makes. Be honest with your price limits too.

A little search onj the net can help too. I used to write cigar reviews for a site once. There are planty of places out there. Google Cuban Cigars, or Cohiba etc and see what comes up. Journals like Cigar Afficienado are also worth a look into, although I often find their ratiings biased towards Domincan products that coincidentally have full page ads in the same issue. 8)

After making your selection, and receiving some lessons on the proper manner of lighting and smoking. , choose when and where you intend to enjoy it. The upcoming M&G on the wet coast may be a good time.

HitorMiss said:
Ummm is it me or did this thread move from what type of cigar should I try, to lets tell this guy what not to do.....

Come on here clearly MedTech is an adult and can decide for himself what he will and wont do, I think people here are a weee bit over reacting thinking of trying one Cigar isn't going to really haveany adverse long term effects on his health.

Danjanou said:
Okey dokey

We’ve now had the legions of non smokers point out it’s bad, but he’s a grown up ( one presumes) and therefore if he wishes to engage in a activity/vice that is most likely dangerous to his health and seen by some persons these days as anti social, well that’s his choice.

So, would either of you say this is a healthy lifestyle choice, of that reminding him that all tobacco products can have bad effects on one's health was an improper response?  He didn't after all, specify that he was going to try one cigar, and only once, just to see what it tastes like.

It would hardly be balanced and objective response from the forum if only the cigar-smokers weighed in.

Well without wanting to hijack the thread further into healthy vs unhealthy habits, to which I freely admit that any kind of tobacco product is unhealthy (I smoke cigars and dip from time to time) I think the nature of the question was more geared to those of use with some knowledge of cigars and which were good. As to saying wether or not the non smokers should or should not give an opinion I think that it would be a different thread or a rewording of the question would have been in order, Had the question been "I am thinking of taking up Cigar smoking and wonder what the effect are?" then absolutely the health risk's should have be discussed.

And on a side note anyone under the age of majority needs to know that any tobacco product though may seem cool is  just getting in the short line to Saint Peter's gate. And if your thinking of doing this job then you need to know that in this day and age our line is short enough without removing some of the wait,

Smoking/Chewing is Bad HmmmmKay

PS: Danjanou Cigar smoked Sept 2nd the eve of the Direct contact portion of Medusa

The cigar brand is pretty important but let's not forget the size either. As a beginner smoker you may not want  (or be able ) to smoke for an extended period of time. So buy a cigar you know you can finish. Also take your time, don't start sucking the life out of the cigar or you'll overheat it and thus ruin the cigar. Start with a smaller size, such as the Corona. Avoiding buying  an expensive premium cigar for your first time. As well avoid buying the cheapies, yes you know them; colts, swishers, captian blacks. There are plenty of decent cigars available for reasonable prices. Start with mild flavoured cigars and do some searches on the net so you will be aquainted with the proper smoking techniques and popular brands. Hope that helps! Enjoy ;D

HitorMiss said:
Well without wanting to hijack the thread further into healthy vs unhealthy habits, to which I freely admit that any kind of tobacco product is unhealthy (I smoke cigars and dip from time to time) I think the nature of the question was more geared to those of use with some knowledge of cigars and which were good. As to saying wether or not the non smokers should or should not give an opinion I think that it would be a different thread or a rewording of the question would have been in order, Had the question been "I am thinking of taking up Cigar smoking and wonder what the effect are?" then absolutely the health risk's should have be discussed.

And on a side note anyone under the age of majority needs to know that any tobacco product though may seem cool is  just getting in the short line to Saint Peter's gate. And if your thinking of doing this job then you need to know that in this day and age our line is short enough without removing some of the wait,

Smoking/Chewing is Bad HmmmmKay

PS: Danjanou Cigar smoked Sept 2nd the eve of the Direct contact portion of Medusa

Odd that a thread about smoking should be guarded against hijacking.

I would think one of the least welcome personal habits threads we could have here is one on smoking that didn't clearly show that even those who do partake understand the hazards, and support rthe recommendation to younger members and curious young guests that smoking/chewing IS bad.  I imagine that we shouldn't want any threads that come across as purely pro smoking for the kids to find when loking for ways to be "just like soldiers."

Think of it as a public service message buried inside the "what cigar should I kick of my addiction with?" discussion.

HitorMiss said:
Ummm is it me or did this thread move from what type of cigar should I try, to lets tell this guy what not to do.....

Come on here clearly MedTech is an adult and can decide for himself what he will and wont do, I think people here are a weee bit over reacting thinking of trying one Cigar isn't going to really haveany adverse long term effects on his health. Now if was saying "So I think I might give crack a go what do you all think?" then yeah I see how the reaction might be the way it is LMAO

MedTech you have that cigar and I hope you enjoy (not too much or you'll start smoking all the time and then I'll look a right perfect a**) And like I said earlier For your first go all out try that Romeo & Julietta #2 or the Montecristo or even the Cohiba (though I am not a fan) Have a nice glass of Scotch with it ( I enjoy JD neat with a twist of sprinkle of lemon juice I fine the cherry flavor of my R&J comes out nice and the sour mash just a wee bit more tart in the drink) and just enjoy the whole experience.

Darnit now I want to have a Cigar, see what you did MedTech!  ;)

I have never tried a Cigar myself (and probably won't)  :) I understand that everyone is just trying to look out for you, but HoM is right..... and he's also made the whole experience of trying a cigar sound so nice, it almost sounds tempting now ...  8)

Cheers ~ Rebecca

For the record it was not my intention to make it tempting.....

But oh man that cigar and the smell of the smoke with a nice little sip of your drink of choice.....MMMmmm pure heaven  >:D

EDIT: To and an N thanks Big Foot, oh and someday you'll be old enough to smoke too  ;)

Pure heave, eh? ;) Didn't imagine you'd be heaving with a good cigar and a good drink. lol

I miss cigars greatly; so soothing and flavourful. Sadly I gave up the habit for obvious reasons; but that doesn't mean I wont enjoy a victory smoke when I graduate from my 3s.

[rant] Oh for heavens sake, Med tech if you want to start a smoking habit go look it up on your own.  There are plenty of web sites devoted to cigar and tobacco products as well as magazines and books.

If you are a non-smoker at the moment, no matter what cigar you purchase to experiment with, you are going to cough your fool head off and even if it is a 30 buck cigar, you won't be able to tell the difference. (and in my opinion a bloody waste of a decent cigar) It won't matter if you are 12, 18 or 30 if you have never smoked before, and your first attempt is a cigar, you'll only manage to succeed in replicating decades of little boys down in the furnace room trying their first smoke and all turning green.  If you try and smoke it with any brand of scotch, it's going to cloud the bouquet of the scotch so you might as well be drinking moonshine (and again, in my opinion a waste of a decent scotch).

If you get used to it, welcome to the world of being addicted to tobacco.  [/rant]

Back