• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Medical Occupational Transfer - Questions

LittleBear

Inactive
Reaction score
Hello All ,

I have followed Army.ca forum for quite some time and have used it as a reference for many past quandaries I have had regarding military life.
I was hoping someone could help me with some questions I have:

I sustained a head injury earlier this year and as a result I am currently sitting with a laundry list of MELs which are slowly being lifted one by one. However the neurologist who has been following me has stated that it is possible some of the issues I have could be permanent. I completed my QL3 aprox 1 year ago. I am starting to worry I won't be able to work to my fullest capacity because I don't feel as quick as I used to be cognitively OR if I am placed back in my normal role I won't progress because I am not meeting certain benchmarks.

The anxiety is starting to build as the months pass because I am in my first contract and I am not progressing through my trade package because I am not considered to be fit for sea and I need to be sailing and working on a ship in order to complete my package.

Am I completely screwed for when it comes time to sign another contract? Would I even be offered another one? (My logical thinking sees me as a financial loss because I am not doing what I was trained to do)

Some other military members have suggested that I should look into a medical transfer to a  clerk because I have a business administration background. Is this even an option for me at my rank level?

I have read some other threads in the forum but, the other cases seemed to be regarding members who had numerous years of service and there would be more reason for retaining them because more money has been invested in their training and development.

Perhaps these questions seem like I am being overly anxious about my current status however I am thinking I should try and research if there are options for me or what I should expect  so that my fate doesn't come as a surprise. As they say 'Fail to plan , plan to fail'.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

LittleBear said:
Some other military members have suggested that I should look into a medical transfer to a  clerk because I have a business administration background.

For reference, perhaps,

Medical Occupational Transfer - Questions 

will be merged with,

How a medical OT works 
http://army.ca/forums/threads/90255.0;nowap

Medical remuster
http://army.ca/forums/threads/97910.0

Firstly, you need to concentrate on getting well.

I would advise that you do not submit an application for voluntary remuster. Allow the system to determine what your limitations are. If the end result is that you are not to be retained in your occupation, you can make representation through your disclosure package of an alternate option to include reassignment in another occupation. In addition, as far as I can remember, you generally can not request a medical remuster. It is one of the options available to the employer.

The list of possible outcomes, in most to least favourable:

1. retain without restrictions
2. retain with restrictions
3. assignment to another occupation without restrictions
4. assignment to another occupation with restrictions and
5. release.

The assignment to another occupation piece is at the discretion of the gaining occupation.

Back