• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Media Bias [Merged]

jollyjacktar said:
Hmmmm, the pressfortruth link won't work for me... :Tin-Foil-Hat:  something's fishy...  he's been, erased perhaps...
Slight change in address
http://www.pressfortruth.ca/top-stories/massive-joint-military-training-excercise-niagara-region-ontario/
Warning:  14 minutes you'll never get back.
Troops from both England AND Scotland taking part, too!

Another great example of a journalist who didn't take his time to fact check anything before he rolled film. This time though, I really enjoyed the paranoid slant. Hopefully we get another episode.

To be fair, I would take anything from something called "press for truth" with a heaping mound of salt.

A big question here: Did the local MSM take this seriously.

What I mean is that, whenever we train off base in realistic scenarios like this EX (especially very large ones), the medias are usually warned weeks in advance and on numerous occasions and the releases are quite clear as to the extent to which soldiers or people in uniform, with guns and combat vehicles are expected to be in the public eyes.

The military is counting on the MSM to advise the population so it doesn't come as a surprise to them (sure , you will always have some uninformed people out there that don't pay attention, but …).

It seems to me that in the present case, we didn't hear much from the MSM before the EX.

Oldgateboatdriver said:

What I mean is that, whenever we train off base in realistic scenarios like this EX (especially very large ones), the medias are usually warned weeks in advance and on numerous occasions and the releases are quite clear as to the extent to which soldiers or people in uniform, with guns and combat vehicles are expected to be in the public eyes.

The military is counting on the MSM to advise the population so it doesn't come as a surprise to them (sure , you will always have some uninformed people out there that don't pay attention, but …).

It seems to me that in the present case, we didn't hear much from the MSM before the EX.

Having been involved in "Land Clearance" for a large scale Exercise in Eastern Ontario, there should be little surprise to an Locals of military personnel and vehicles being present.  If there is, it is due to the local municipalities not passing down the word to the lower levels.  I had to visit every Municipal Office in the area of the Exercise to get permission to use Public Lands, every Police Detachment to give them the heads up that we would be in the area, and also any Provincial and National Park Service that may have lands that could possibly be used.  "Land Clearance" is quite extensively done months prior to an Exercise of this sort.  At the same time the local media is notified well in advance, and notices are printed in local newspapers and announced on local radio and TV stations.  If anyone is ill-informed about military activities in the area, it is because they don't pay attention to the 'news'.  I am sure that this 'reporter' had warning well in advance to prepare for his sojourn into reporting these activities, coming prepared with a cameraman.

Oldgateboatdriver said:

From what I've seen here and talking to some higher level friends that are on the Ex, units were rolling out from their home locations and still didn't have a plan or know what was going on. Basically ' Be at this location, at this time, with as many people and vehicles as you can bring. More orders to follow'.

If the training audience had no idea what was going on, why would the MSM?

There was lot of coordination done, and a most if not all folks I came across knew we were here and that we were coming. The Press for Truth dude had an agenda and the dude complaining about having guns pointed at him wanted his camera time.

Oldgateboatdriver said:
To be fair, keep in mind there may have been a fair bit of local media coverage that others living elsewhere may not have seen/read/heard.

George Wallace said:
....  the local media is notified well in advance, and notices are printed in local newspapers and announced on local radio and TV stations.  If anyone is ill-informed about military activities in the area, it is because they don't pay attention to the 'news'.
:nod:  As a former "guy with a face suited for radio" type myself, I can confirm that even if something makes it onto the airwaves, people may only be half-listening/watching, so no guarantees of "message sent = message received".

recceguy said:
If the training audience had no idea what was going on, why would the MSM?
:nod:  It certainly helps knowing what's going to be going on before telling media what's going to be going on.

P.S. - moving the media bits over to the media thread.  Milnet.ca Staff

A lot of people will disagree, but I suspect Terence Corocoran is, in this article which is reproduced under the fair Dealing provisions of the Copyright Act from the National Post,  closer to right than I am (I advocate selling all of CBC TV, Englsih and French, and filling the public broadcasting mandate, found in the Broadcasting Act §3.d. through a combination of commercial free (100% taxpayer funded) radio broadcast - mosly over the air but also with an internet component - in three service: English, French and International):

http://linkis.com/natpo.st/Ye3JE
logonplarge.gif

Get the CBC out of the free market

Terence Corcoran | September 19, 2014

On Tuesday night, millions of Canadians gathered round their televisions and other devices tuned in to CBC Television’s flagship news report, The National. In a rare moment of national unity, viewers took in the public broadcaster’s latest contribution to creating a “shared national consciousness and identity” by providing a “distinctively Canadian” interview with Barbra Streisand.

As they say down in the States: This is CNN.

How a fawning show-biz interview with Ms. Streisand, an American global mega-star who is merely flogging her latest CD, came to be promoted as a “Canadian exclusive” on The National must boggle the minds of many Canadian nationalists. The interview was conducted by Jian Gomeshi, CBC Radio’s star celebrity interviewer, with his usual skill. But even the Friends of Canadian Broadcasting, which floods the country with alarming junk mail on how the Harper Tories are out to kill the CBC, must wonder who’s doing the most to assassinate their cherished institution.

On the other hand, the CBC thrives on the contradictions embedded in its corporate mandate, which is to make its services available “throughout Canada by the most appropriate and efficient means and as resources become available for the purpose.” Over the years, the government broadcaster has been able to parlay its public and private funding regimes into a hybrid dual-engine machine fuelled by billions in direct subsidy from federal taxpayers and billions more in advertising dollars out of the private broadcasting industry.

So skilled is the CBC at this great game that its absurd grand pronouncements about broadcast policy go unchallenged. CBC President Hubert Lacroix, appearing before the CRTC’s Let’s Talk TV hearings last week, declared that “in our view” the new Canadian policy for broadcasting “must support” what he called “market-based solutions to issues rather than regulatory intervention.”

With $1.2-billion in direct government subsidies (2013) and $330-million in declining advertising revenue, the CBC is as far from being a “market-based” enterprise as an enterprise can get. As the corporation’s annual report makes clear, the CBC’s self-described “business model” is “not profit oriented and all sources of funds are used to fulfill its public broadcasting mandate.”

But the great non-profit shell game is coming to an end. Even CBC executives concede there’s trouble ahead. In TV and radio, the old CBC is struggling to recalibrate its strategy. “Conventional television still remains at the heart of the broadcasting system, but its business model is dying,” said Mr. Lacroix at the Let’s Talk TV hearings, which end this week in Ottawa.

The great flux in the broadcasting industry does not mean, however, that the CBC is about to abandon its core business strategy, which is capitalizing on its inherent contradictions and shifting its arguments as the world turns around it. Not too long ago, CBC said its Radio 2 network’s business model (free cash from taxpayers) was busted, so it decided to begin accepting commercials. As a result, Radio 2, once defended by CBC as an ideologically pure commercial-free disseminator of essential Canadian music and other public affairs, now rakes in revenue from a host of advertisers.

Local CBC television stations, meanwhile, cannot attract enough advertisers. One solution, said Mr. Lacroix, is to force television subscribers to pay for CBC content directly on their cable and satellite bills. The business model is broken, advertisers won’t support content, government subsidies are shrinking, so let’s ding consumers directly with a no-choice option. Never mind “pick and pay” TV. The CBC wants “we pick, you pay” TV.

The CBC is a giant non-profit that plays at being a business, taking viewers/listeners and advertising dollars away from private broadcasters. Beyond its television operation and its new FM radio commercial venture, the corporation is spending millions of taxpayer dollars on assorted new Internet services, sucking in subscribers and ad dollars in competition with newspapers, broadcasters and other media. It offers free online music services, supported by advertising, that distribute mostly U.S. pop, rock and jazz. Do we need a national public-interest broadcaster that devotes parts of its Web site to rock, soul and Ray Charles?

Where does subsidized U.S. popular music — one of the world’s most successful entertainment industries — fit within the CBC’s vaunted tell-Canadians-stories-about-themselves mandate? The only reason the CBC is expanding into the Internet space is because they have free government money.

It is surely time to demolish the lumbering CBC corporate machine. Created almost a century ago, before television even existed and when there were few broadcast choices available due to technological limits, the CBC today operates in a world that has ceased to provide a reason for its existence. Its current hybrid public-private enterprise model is at best an anachronism.

What should be done? Some say the CBC should be fully commercialized and its subsidy eliminated. Others promote direct payment for CBC services by viewers and listeners. There is some support for privatization.

But none of the above will solve the problems. Above all, Canadians seem to want a public broadcaster, especially Canadians who like their public affairs and news served up from the liberal left. That being the case, the prime objective should be to remove the CBC from the commercial space it has invaded over the years. It should stop competing for viewers and advertising dollars.

In other words, re-nationalize the CBC as a totally publicly funded non-commercial government service. Let the left have its dedicated media outlet. TV content, including The National, would be carried free by cable and satellite companies. Forcing individual consumers to pay for content they do not want is unfair and deprives them of their economic freedom.

If the CBC is to exist as a national public broadcaster, it should be funded by all taxpayers out of general revenues. If necessary, charitable status could be established for Canadians who might want to support a national institution.

None of this will sit well with libertarians and conservatives, but it is the best option. As the broadcaster’s Web site notes, the CBC was created in the 1920s “when the need arose for a Canadian presence on the radio — to counter the American influence and protect Canadian culture.” If that need is seen to exist as a public policy, let the CBC pursue it as a fully funded government agency.

Barbra is a great music star, Jian is the best music-star interviewer in North America. But it’s not really public broadcasting. Even CNN would not have turned a Streisand interview into a national news event.

National Post

I, personally, think that TV is unnecessary to meet either of the letter or the spirit of the Broadcasting Act; radio (audio) and internet audio ought to be sufficient, but I understand that 99% of Canadians likely disagree.

Mr Corcoran's solution is workable and can be managed within a tight ($1.3 Billion) budget, but all you CBC TV viewers get a boatload of Little Mosque on the Prairie reruns.

E.R. Campbell said:
I, personally, think that TV is unnecessary to meet either of the letter or the spirit of the Broadcasting Act; radio (audio) and internet audio ought to be sufficient, but I understand that 99% of Canadians likely disagree.

Mr Corcoran's solution is workable and can be managed within a tight ($1.3 Billion) budget, but all you CBC TV viewers get a boatload of Little Mosque on the Prairie reruns.

But ERC you obviously grew up building your own crystal set.....

With respect to the CBC getting nothing but government funding I am torn between two analogies:

The government will end up subsidizing the world's last wagon wheel maker
The government will end up subsiding the last state church even when the pews are empty.

Traditional TV is under as much attack as traditional print media.  Both of them are going to have to find a way to work through the internet and connect with those people that want what they want to sell.

If they want to sell liberal left views then they need to first of all figure out how to connect with liberal left surfers.  If they want to convert conservative right surfer to the liberal left philosophy they are going to have to do things a lot differently.  Either way it is unlikely to involve Father Peter serving up a benediction at 10:30.

Kirkhill said:
But ERC you obviously grew up building your own crystal set.....

With respect to the CBC getting nothing but government funding I am torn between two analogies:

The government will end up subsidizing the world's last wagon wheel maker
The government will end up subsiding the last state church even when the pews are empty.

Traditional TV is under as much attack as traditional print media.  Both of them are going to have to find a way to work through the internet and connect with those people that want what they want to sell.

If they want to sell liberal left views then they need to first of all figure out how to connect with liberal left surfers.  If they want to convert conservative right surfer to the liberal left philosophy they are going to have to do things a lot differently.  Either way it is unlikely to involve Father Peter serving up a benediction at 10:30.

That's actually true ... didn't everyone?

Mine (built in the late 1940s or very early 1950s) looked a little like this (an advert from a Sears catalogue):

sears-crystal-set.gif

I think my Grandfather bought it from the local hardware/general store, probably - almost certainly, I would think, for less than $10.00. (He wasn't given to spending money.)

It looked something like this ... not nearly as neatly made, I was only seven or eight!

Crystal2.jpg

In the 1920s and '30s crystal sets were in common use for radio reception; by the 1940s and '50s, they were for kids to play with ... and maybe learn a bit of something.

Over in the Election 2015 thread, I posted this:

E.R. Campbell said:
Quote from: E.R. Campbell on 2014-09-20, 13:56:57
For the record, regarding Hiva Mohammad Alizadeh, an Iranian born Canadian citizen who was sentenced to 24 years in prison for acts a judge described as being akin to treason ...

Justin Trudeau's (non) response ... (two revealing video clips)

Now Ezra Levant gave what I would guess, I have not watched it, a typically Ezra Levant rant about Justin Trudeau ~ that is to say, bombastic, edging on being libelous, in poor taste, with scant respect for accuracy, etc ~ in his commentary programme. That's what Ezra Levant is: a commentator. he is not a journalist in the way that, say, David Akin or Mercedes Stephenson (both of whom are known to members this site) are journalists, he doesn't report the 'news;' he is not even a 'journalist' in the way that, say, the Globe and Mail's Jeffrey Simpson or Lawrence Martin, both highly opinionated, are journalists, he doesn't address big, national issues; he is of a newer, shriller, highly partisan variety that originated in the UK tabloids but has been transformed by US TV.

But M. Trudeau's campaign team has decided to boycott all of Sun Media, "until the company [Québécor Inc.] resolves the matter." Here is the text of the message sent out by M. Trudeau’s spokesperson Kate Purchase"

“On Monday of last week (September 15th 2014), a segment on Sun News Network program ‘The Source’ crossed the line by airing a personal attack on the Trudeau family that was offensive and breached
            any reasonable measure of editorial integrity.

“We have raised this issue with the appropriate people at Québécor Inc., the owners and operators of Sun News Network, and have asked that they consider an appropriate response.

“Until the company resolves the matter, the Leader of the Liberal Party of Canada, Justin Trudeau will continue to not engage with Sun Media.”

The Twitterverse is all aflutter; the media, generally, dislikes Ezra Levant and his style of journalism, but they also respect his right to express his views and most of the journalists' tweets that I have seen, regardless of their views pro or con, begin with the fact that M. Trudeau was, already, ignoring Sun Media ... see above.

An important point is that Québécor Inc. is the largest media company in Canada, and is especially strong in Quebec. I wonder how M. Trudeau's team will square that circle.

Edited to add:

Here, reproduced under the Fair Dealing provisions of the Copyright Act from from Sun News is the company's response:

QMI AGENCY

OTTAWA - Federal Liberal Leader Justin Trudeau says he will continue to snub English-language Sun Media reporters in protest of an opinion piece broadcast by Ezra Levant on his Sun News Network program, The Source.

And Trudeau has filed a complaint with Quebecor Inc., the Montreal-based company that owns Sun Media and Sun News Network.

Sun News Network is a news and opinion cable channel while Sun Media owns dozens of newspapers across the country including the largest French-language newspaper in the country, Le Journal de Montreal, the tabloid Sun newspapers, and several broadsheet daily papers such as the London Free Press and the Kingston Whig-Standard.

Trudeau's office said Levant, in a segment broadcast on Sept. 15, engaged in a personal attack that "was offensive and breached any reasonable measure of editorial integrity" and vowed that until Quebecor resolves the matter, Trudeau will "continue to not engage" with English-language Sun Media reporters or outlets.

For the last several months, Sun Media reporters have literally had to chase after Trudeau if they wanted to get the Liberal leader's thoughts on everything from climate change to fighting terrorists - and, in any event, Trudeau would often ignore them.

Glenn Garnett, Sun Media's editorial vice-president, says his organization is just the latest to be shut out by politicians who don't like the line of questioning from their reporters or the positions taken by their commentators.

Levant is not a reporter but writes an opinion column for the newspaper chain in addition to hosting a one-hour television show Monday-to-Friday.

"Ours is a large national organization reaching millions of Canadians through web, print and broadcast, so I think trying to punish us with silence may not be the best strategy. We'll go on doing our jobs," Garnett said.

Now, Prof Emmett Macfarlane (Waterloo University) gives a considered opinion on the issue in this blog post which is reproduced under the Fair Dealing provisions of the Copyright Act from Policy Options:

http://policyoptions.irpp.org/2014/09/24/politicians-and-media-boycotts/
irpp_po_logo_EN.png

Politicians and media boycotts

Emmett Macfarlane

Blog post, September 24, 2014

The decision by Justin Trudeau to refuse to answer questions from Sun Media reporters – in the aftermath of a lame, offensive diatribe by one of their television personalities – sparks an interesting debate about the media and its relationship with our elected representatives.

On the one side, you have people worrying about the principle of a politician effectively blacklisting certain members of the press. Some reporters argue this is a slippery slope that might damage freedom of the press. On that point, I’m not sure press freedom is actually at stake here. No one is required to answer anyone’s questions. Freedom of the press is about making sure the government doesn’t restrict journalists; it doesn’t guarantee that reporters land interviews. The suggestion this is “censorship” also misunderstands the concept of censorship.

Other reporters argue politicians do not get to choose which reporters ask questions in a scrum. I suppose the notion that the Parliamentary Press Gallery (PPG) gets to choose who asks questions is a fair organizing principle, but I’m not sure that means a politician is required to submit to it, at least in the sense of being compelled to answer a question. Indeed, when it comes to attending press conferences and scrums, our current prime minister is a notable delinquent, and outside of the scrum context politicians routinely get to choose to accept interview requests, or not.

Nevertheless, on its face, a decision by a politician to boycott an entire news organization instantly runs the risk of looking petty, unprincipled and perhaps even cowardly. For one thing, it doesn’t seem fair to the many reporters who work for Sun Media and who are actually trying to do the legitimate work of reporting. Hell, many of these Sun reporters likely despise having to deal with the reputation their organization earns when it broadcasts or publishes utter garbage that lacks all credibility. They just can’t say so, because they have jobs in journalism, which, like unicorns, are hard to find and even harder to keep.

The boycott strategy also raises the risk of giving the low-rated Sun TV attention it so desperately wants. So even just from the perspective of Mr. Trudeau’s self-interest, I’m not sure this is the best strategy.

That said, surely there is a certain point at which we would all draw the line. Mr. Trudeau drew his at a hit job that called his deceased father a “slut”. And I hope my reporter friends would at least acknowledge there’s a certain amount of self-interest in touting the broad principle that politicians be expected – nay, required – to address questions from anyone accredited by the PPG, as if there is no correlative duty (even from an organizational rather than individual perspective) to come within several football fields of basic decency or fairness.

But therein lies the fundamental problem: every politician thinks certain media outlets are “biased” or “partisan”. Every media outlet likes to think it is “balanced” and “objective”. It would be a bit of a dangerous game if politicians routinely segregated the media on their own terms. We should want, indeed demand, that our elected leaders face the most challenging, even the most adversarial, line of questions. Answering to a free press is a fundamental feature of basic democracy.

So when all is said and done, I’m not entirely sure where I stand on Trudeau’s decision, other than to raise the following questions: How disreputable does a “news” organization have to be before a politician’s decision to boycott would be palatable? Indeed, at what point is a news organization not actually a news organization? If we expect politicians to answer adversarial, even unfair, questions, do we expect them to do so from only PPG accredited reporters, or from anyone who calls themselves a journalist?

If the former, I think that raises another interesting debate about what organizations/individuals receive accreditation; if the latter, I doubt many would expect Trudeau to be compelled to answer questions from your average Internet troll.

So where is that line? It is ultimately the public who gets to decide who crossed it: Sun Media for disseminating garbage or Trudeau for boycotting reporters who aren’t responsible for it.

I agree with Prof Macfarlane, it is us, the reading/listening/viewing public, who will decide who crossed what line.

My opinion:

1. Ezra Levant is a bombastic buffoon who did, indeed, cross a line ~ a "good manners" line, at least. But he need not apologize, he is an entertainer, a clown, he's supposed to be a bombastic
        buffoon, it's his role. But someone, and I suggest The Right Honourable Brian Mulroney, P.C., C.C., LL.D, Chairman of the Board of Québécor should offer a corp[ortae apology to M. Trudeau for Ezra Levant's
        bad manners ~ not for speaking out, but for simple bad manners; and

2. I think Justin Trudeau, personally, and his campaign team, professionally, also crossed a line. First, M. Trudeau ignores questions which he finds inconvenient or uncomfortable (in my opinion he
        ignores questions for which he does not have a scripted answer, he's an intellectual lightweight who cannot think on his feet and is going to be a weak, poor prime minister). Second his team have made a strategic blunder:
        they have made M. Trudeau look weak and petty ~ I think he is weak but I do not believe he is petty.

All Levant did was update news from the 60s and 70s about PET's appetites.  None of it was lies, bad manners, yup.  Me thinks the young fellow is typical of his generation, thinned skinned and over indulged.  It is a good excuse not to answer those tough questions and will appease the voting base precepetions of Sun News.  The Liberals know for a fact that CTV or CBC will never ask those nasty questions about the Liberal Hug-A-Terrorist, Get-A-Minority-Vote strategy.  Beats kissing smelly babies I guess!  Going to be an awful mess to clean up in 2020!  I am more interested in his views on taking passports away from Terrorists than Daddy Chairman's STDs but we will never know those views. 

E.R. Campbell said:
....Trudeau's campaign team has decided to boycott all of Sun Media....
  :tempertantrum:

Great.  Another sleepless night  -- not

Journeyman said:
  :tempertantrum:

Great.  Another sleepless night  -- not

Young Mr. Trudeau was at the Canadian Army run, mugging for the cameras with  some of the Soldier On troops. He was largely ignored.

Back