• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

May 5th BMOQ

Yeah I handed in my application I believe mid July.  The aircrew medical took quite awhile and I think I missed the January BMOQ by a few weeks also.  Long wait but glad its finally over. 

How is everyone's training coming along for this?  I really only started doing cardio again a couple of weeks ago, but I've been doing weights and just neglected the cardio.  But I'm hoping I get that improved before I leave but really, I guess if you've been active your whole life it doesn't take long to get your cardio back.  I've noticed improvements really fast.  I'm doing 4-5km per night at a pace of 5:30 or slightly faster.

Also, who all is signing on March 26th in Halifax?

Neil

Neil,

I did the opposite of you, alot of cardio and a little bit of gym. I was running around 35k per week with a average pace a 4m30s. For the next two month, i'll move to the gym. What are you doing like training in gym ?

I based my training on WOD on crossfit.com ! What do you think of this king of training ?

I handed my application in late December and got an offer by mid-February -- way faster than I expected.  My medical lasted like 20 mins if that.

I'm just getting started on the cardio too :-[  I'd rather lift weights -- it's so much more satisfying to reach a certain weight than running more kms.  I agree on getting results quicker with cardio -- I'm running longer each time.  If I could only get results that quick on my squat.

I just got the call yesterday afternoon!

My experience seems to be on the long side compared to most others;  I submitted my application in Mid to Late January 2007.. just over a year ago.  The wait was a blessing though,  it gave me ample opportunity to get most of my PT in order (though still have some work to do on the run to make it more comfortable). If I can find all my notes, Ill post the entire timeline on the appropriate board/thread.

cheers,
bc

Just wanted to ask if anyone starting this may 2008, has been offered a signing bonus, or are bonuses a thing of the past. I am applying as a DEO engineering officer, just wanted to find out from the latest batch of potential officers.

profanity said:
Just wanted to ask if anyone starting this may 2008, has been offered a signing bonus, or are bonuses a thing of the past. I am applying as a DEO engineering officer, just wanted to find out from the latest batch of potential officers.

No signing bonus here.

Someone can correct me, but I've only ever heard of signing bonuses being offered to Medical or Dental officers.

I think benny88 is right. I know Doctors/Dentists are offered signing bonuses, but then again they're red trades.. maybe that's why.

I'm receiving a signing bonus as a SIG ... I was told that all engineering trades are eligible so I urge you to inquire if it applies to you.

tayze said:
There's still time to ask about the bonus!  I can't speak for everyone, but I was glad to hear that I will be receiving one.  I did notice that my initial contract is longer than others who posted here (9 years as opposed to 6 for the CELE above).

tayze said:
I'm receiving a signing bonus as a SIG ... I was told that all engineering trades are eligible so I urge you to inquire if it applies to you.

If that's true, I should inquire about that when I swear in since a signing bonus has yet to be discussed with me. Thanks for the info.

Even if a bonus is offered, I doubt that it will be anywhere near the advertised amount of 40k. Correct me if I'm wrong. Also I think signals officers are in demand, other engineering fields may not be in the same category.

The question is, will it still be "in demand" on the day of the contract (I mean, service agreement) signing?

If it is any consolation, I'll swear in on the very last day of March, which may or may not be later than some of my fellow to-be SIGS O.

profanity said:

I am DEO Sig, slated for the next BMOQ, and I am definitely getting the signing bonus... However, the $40K is split up into two payments:  the first installment of $25K comes after BMOQ (and possibly CAP or Kingston -- I'm not clear on it as my CFRC just says "after initial training" I'll get the first cheque).  The second installment of $15K comes 24 months later.

Keep in mind that the bonus *is* taxable.  Basically, the bonus will just about pay off my student loans (groan!)...

Also, my first contract is NINE YEARS, so that could be a factor in the bonus aspect.

When you were given your official offer, swearing-in date, and BMOQ start, the person who called who you would probably have mentioned the bonus outright, if you are eligible.  I think that it all depends on the "demand" for your particular area.  I am pretty sure that many engineering type officer positions are eligible.  If I were you, I would give your CFRC a call and find out -- before the window closes (which is probably the end of March).

PS  I get sworn in later on this week!!

Jadeen said:
I am DEO Sig O and I am definitely getting the signing bonus... However, the $40K is split up into two payments:  the first installment of $25K comes after BMOQ (and possibly CAP or Kingston -- I'm not clear on it as my CFRC just says "after initial training" I'll get the first cheque).  The second installment of $15K comes 24 months later.

I wasn't going to lay it all out there in case there was some disparity among offers, but mine is structured exactly the same as Jadeen ... also with a 9 year initial contract.  I too am unclear about the "after initial training" aspect, but it's not a huge issue with me; I'll be glad to receive it whenever.

I would assume that the window closes once the papers are signed.  It's hard to ask for a bonus after you've officially accepted an offer that did not include one.

tayze said:
I wasn't going to lay it all out there in case there was some disparity among offers, but mine is structured exactly the same as Jadeen ... also with a 9 year initial contract.  I too am unclear about the "after initial training" aspect, but it's not a huge issue with me; I'll be glad to receive it whenever.

I would assume that the window closes once the papers are signed.  It's hard to ask for a bonus after you've officially accepted an offer that did not include one.

WRT disparity among offers... I know what you mean, but anyone who wants to find out this sort of information can easily do so.  However, many apologies to you if you are displeased with my being so candid about the arrangements.  Since the dollar amount of our bonus is common knowledge, I didn't see any issue with laying out its structure.

I guess I'm the lucky one ;D

I'm SIGS DEO too and I just called my file manager, she told me I'm getting jack nothing. Even IPC is basic... My 1.5 years of work experience as a co-op student in a few jobs in the IT field means nothing for SIGS. SIGS isn't IT, she says... so I'm totally untrained. She didn't believe me when I said other SIGS are getting the recruitment bonus at all.

But then I didn't have a BEng or BSc, but a BBA joint major in Business and Computer Science, and I had to get a letter from the university to convince them that the CS part of my degree would be quite similar to a BSc. But then again I don't think the recruitment bonus is degree specific but MOS specific.

Either way I'm grad to know someone is getting something...

js25 said:
I guess I'm the lucky one ;D

I'm SIGS DEO too and I just called my file manager, she told me I'm getting jack nothing. Even IPC is basic... My 1.5 years of work experience as a co-op student in a few jobs in the IT field means nothing for SIGS. SIGS isn't IT, she says... so I'm totally untrained. She didn't believe me when I said other SIGS are getting the recruitment bonus at all.

But then I didn't have a BEng or BSc, but a BBA joint major in Business and Computer Science, and I had to get a letter from the university to convince them that the CS part of my degree would be quite similar to a BSc. But then again I don't think the recruitment bonus is degree specific but MOS specific.

Either way I'm grad to know someone is getting something...

Wow, sorry to hear about that... if it makes you feel any better, my father (a tax pro) says that one way or another the tax man is going to get almost all of it anyway.  BTW where is your CFRC?  I think that Ottawa makes the decision in any event, and I wonder if a candidate's merit score has anything to do with it.  The fact that you aren't BSc. or BEng. might have lowered your score.  Incidentally, I am BSc (Comp Sci).

According to CFRC Edmonton: Engineering and some science degrees are eligible. I have a Bio degree and i don't qualify, they told me Comp Sci was one of them that would get it.

bbell said:
According to CFRC Edmonton: Engineering and some science degrees are eligible. I have a Bio degree and i don't qualify, they told me Comp Sci was one of them that would get it.

I didn't realize that was the reason but it does make sense; I have a BCSc (Computer Science).

If it makes you feel any better ... I also have a MBA, and that gets me "jack nothing"!

Jadeen said:
Wow, sorry to hear about that... if it makes you feel any better, my father (a tax pro) says that one way or another the tax man is going to get almost all of it anyway.  BTW where is your CFRC?  I think that Ottawa makes the decision in any event, and I wonder if a candidate's merit score has anything to do with it.  The fact that you aren't BSc. or BEng. might have lowered your score.  Incidentally, I am BSc (Comp Sci).

I have a B.E. and a B.Sc. (Comp. Sci.) and no word yet about if I would get a signing bonus. But then again, I've been offered the CELE trade with an initial contract of six years so it may have something to do with the trade and length of contract.

I'll ask about it when I swear in next week. I don't want to bother them now since I've already done that enough over the whole recruiting process.

Back