• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Maxpedition Cocoon Pouch

kyleg

Inactive
Reaction score
http://maxpedition.com/product/product_cocoon.htm

Anyone used this pouch? Being a C9 gunner in my section I figured I might replace the bayonet frog with this on the front of my vest (keeping the frog in my ruck of course, just in case). I figure I can keep a flashlight, a marker or two, and my spork in there. And I'm sure I'd find something else to stuff it with.

Anyways, I'm just wondering if any of you have any experience with this, and whether you would recommend it or not. I've heard good things about Maxpedition's quality.

Cheers,
Pinky

I've got one that I'm reasonably satisfied with.
However, you should know that the MALICE-straps don't go all the way to the ends of the pouch.
This could be cumbersome if in a prone position, as it could catch on... whatever's out there :)
Another thing is Maxpeditions claim of there being "Loops thoughout for tie-downs, key rings, SlikClips, or detachable 1" quick release buckles."
... There's only one attachment point that's strong enough for military use, and that's placed on the backside.
Those webbing loops seen on each end of it are made of a thinner/weaker kind of webbing that I wouldn't trust at all!
And by the way: "Loops throughout" -in my understanding- should mean that there also are some on the inside. There aren't!

Otherwise I'm all in favour of their products!

Regards
Troels

Ask yourself, bro, do you really think you need it?  If you need a flashlight holder, get one and you can fit your spork in there (hail the power of the spork).  All it really is, is a two dollar, Wal-Mart pencil holder with molle on the back.  IMO having it hanging off your vest would look kinda' goofy anyways, and I'm all for whatever it is you're doing, to look good while doing it...  ;)

It looks like a peice of shit in my opinion, , its gonna piss u off to put it where ur bayonette is anyways, no one likes havin a bayonette there when in the prone, and that will come out even further, and snag and pull on shit. most c9 gunners  put shit like markers and flashlight in  mag pockets, as well as your spork.

I ve been living with a maxpedition tube shealth for a couple weeks now. It carries my inova T3 very nicely, even with a streamlight flip front lens filter. What surprised me was how thick and sturdy the construction was, the thing feels like you could drag it down the road and it would still be in one piece. Up until then i never realy considered any maxpedition gear, now id give a bigger piece a try as i looked at some waist packs and larger packs and they seem to be constructed equally aswell. My shealth cost me 15$ a crap nylon noname cost me 9$ for the extra 6 $ i wish i would have waited and got another maxpedition. 

Wow, I wasn't expecting so many responses so fast.

Patroels: thanks for the heads-up on the lower-quality webbing loop

Kal: You're right, I really don't need one. What kind of flashlight pouch would you suggest (I've got an Inova X1)?

Kevins: I hadn't thought about the snagging and sticking out. Good point.

gottyfunk: Is $12US plus shipping really worth it for a 4" tube sheath for my Inova? I'm inclined to say no, but if you insist I'll consider it. Maybe I could ask Santa to toss it in my stocking ;)

The thing is, I'd like something a little more "general purpose" than, say, a flashlight pouch. I was thinking about the M-1 (also at Maxpedition), but I prefer not to have things on my belt (civy or military). Do any of you know of any other pouches that might suit this need (well, want, really)?

Cheers,
Pinky

I was looking over the dimensions of the X1 and figured it was small enough that it really doesn't need it's own pouch.  Does it not it in the Maglite pocket on your vest?  Really, bro, it's small enough to be put just about anywear. 

Pinky, check out www.specopsbrand.com

They offer 2 different types of light pouches. I bought the multilight pouch with the open top, and mounted it to the molle webbing on the front of the vest, fits my surefire G2 no problem.

Hmmm... that Multi-Light sheath is pretty spiffy lookin. Like I said above though, I'm looking for something a little more multi-purpose. I figured the cocoon would be great for all the long, somewhat skinny things (like chocolate bars, meat sticks, chem lights, flashlight, spork, markers...). Ideally I'd like something smallish, quick to access, and dependable (yes, I realize these are neither original nor unique needs).

I like a lot of compartmentalization (is that a word?) in my gear, to keep things organized and therefore easier to find/access. What I really need is some way of making my kit grow and shed pockets instantly that are perfectly sized for whatever I need to carry, all controlled by my mind ;D

Ok, enough of the crazy talk. I'm sure that somewhere out there there is a pouch that does exactly what I want. If anyone knows of a company that makes pouches similar to Maxpedition's M-series waist pouches I'd love to know about it. They are the closest to what I'm looking for that I've seen so far.

EDIT: WOW, I think spec-ops is the answer... any other suggestions are still welcome though

Cheers,
Pinky

"What I really need is some way of making my kit grow and shed pockets instantly that are perfectly sized for whatever I need to carry, all controlled by my mind ;D"

Its called molle ;)

Pinky, if you want a better way of adding non-issued pouches to your vest, check out drop zone tacticals "Pouch Pals", they are a panel that can replace your C9 pouch/water bottle area and make it completely molle/PALS compatible.  

Personally I like my tactical tailor MAV better tho   ;D

Lol, even molle doesn't fulfill all my wishes. When I say a pocket/pouch for everything, I mean everything. Every pen, pencil, marker, chem light, flashlight, ration... EVERYTHING. But it seems that spec-ops has a few designs just for people like me (pocket-whores, that is). The Pack-rat looks like something I could use, as well as the mini pocket organizer.

Cheers,
Pinky

Back