• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

MARS Officers: sea time later in the career...

30 for 30

Inactive
Reaction score
Previous posts have noted that MARS officers spend a great deal of time at sea in their first three or so years on the job (around eight months away each year). This period is followed by a shore posting, which is followed by another duration posted to a ship...

My question is "approximately" how much time per year is spent at sea during the ship postings that occur after the initial, intensive three year tour? Or does a MARS officer spend his or her entire sea career away from shore for eight months of the year?

Thanks for any input,
RNW

Heya...  From what I've learned from this board, for the first 5 years of your career, look at around 6 months away.

Keep in mind, the first few years have shorter excursions away from port.  (days/weeks)  It's not until you're sort of, well, useful that they post you to your first "high readiness" ship.  (I gather about 2 years in)  We'll have the time to be at home for the first 2, but after that, We are in the Navy.  :)

T

Back