• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Marks / Grades: School / GED or PLAR [MERGED]

Well at the momment im trying to join the 56th Fld Regt, the recuiter said to bring him a copy of my high-school transcript. So I went to get it. However I only have 4 Credits. If im correct the requirement is 15.

What I want to know is there a way to join the Army without the credits but get into something so I can earn my credits while im in the Armed Forces? I was dumb back then and never handed anything in so now im paying for it down the road.

Anyone have any tips?

Hey guys i am wondering if you can actually take classes when you get in the army? like night classes or something because I am 17 and i failed a grade so I have to finish grade 10 this year and I would like to graduate but I would rather joint he army...But if i could do both that would be aweosme.

If you are referring to Regular forces, im pretty sure the recruiter wont touch you until you complete grade ten but once you are in, the military will reimburse any money you spend on correspondance fees to upgrade your education.Also when you are posted to your first base after training, there are plenty of local resources offered including night school, french language training etc. that are available to you.

Some highschools have a Militia program where you go live on a base for a full semester.  You do military stuff and school stuff I think.  I believe you earn six credits.  I don't know much about it so your better to check with a teacher/guidance.

In order to do a co-op program with the army you usually have to be in either grade 11 or 12. Since you haven't completed grade 9 yet there isn't a way you can earn credits with the military at this point in time, you must earn your grade 9 and 10 compulsory credits first.

I actually e-mailed a local recruiter about this last week (I'm also 15 and turning 16 on January) and this is part of his response.

"The minimum requirement is age 16 WITH 6 credits of Grade 10 completed and be a Canadian Citizen."

He's talking about recruitment for the reserves. I'm in British Columbia.

CurtisWoodworth said:
I actually e-mailed a local recruiter about this last week (I'm also 15 and turning 16 on January) and this is part of his response.

"The minimum requirement is age 16 WITH 6 credits of Grade 10 completed and be a Canadian Citizen."

He's talking about recruitment for the reserves. I'm in British Columbia.

Its the same for the Reg Force also, only you need to be 17(with consent)

You only need to have completed 6 course in grade 10 (british columbia)....

For the COOP program, you can apply if you have less than 15 credits. HOWEVER, you are not permitted to participate in the program unless you have the 15 credits. So, you can apply if you are expecting to have the 15 credits by the time you are actually enrolled in the CF.

Otherwise, you need to get your GED -- General Education Diploma. This may be the best way for you. I would suggest contacting the local board of education to receive more info on getting the GED.

Check out this site for GED info.

http://www.acenet.edu/clll/ged/gedadmin3-TT.cfm

I finally received my GED. I took it later september and boy that felt good.
If you do not have an opportunity to finish highschool due to exceptional circumstances, the GED will let you get by. I am so very glad I finally got mine, a chapter in my life finally closed.

However I strongly suggest finishing highschool. REGARDLESS of any circumstances. Do whatever it takes to get that last credit you need to get your grade 12. Put on your silly robe, and say you graduated.
It will make a huge difference in your life, more than you can possibly know at age 15 or 16.

Best of luck in your efforts.  :cdn:

Sirukin:
I hear ya. My attendance became an issue in Grade 11. I thought myself too mature to be in highschool. Funny how that works out.
Anyway.. honestly if I could do it over again I would trade all my life experience for 2 more years in school. My life would be so much different right now.

Stay in school kids. There's a reason why everyone says it.

Butters said:
You only need to have completed 6 course in grade 10 (british columbia)....

Anyone know what the number is for Ontario?  Or where I could look/who I could ask to find out?

scm77 said:
Anyone know what the number is for Ontario?   Or where I could look/who I could ask to find out?

to get the OSSC (Ontairo secondary school certificate)(can get this when ya compelete grade 10)
u need 14 credits but im not sure if thats what ur really talkin about, maybe go to the local high school and talk to them maybe they will you or just find the ontairo school board website

Cool, I'll have that by February.  You just made my day. :)

Just for the record, I e-mailed the recruiter last night and they said you need minimum of 15 credits to get in.

So I always was told that the age to get in is 16 (I am 15 btw). My buddy comes back from cadets one day and says that a colonol told him to apply while he was 15. I thought this nonsense but if a colonol said this. I asked him if it was one of these cadet colonols but he asid it was the real deal. I just want to know wether or not I should get my hopes up  for being able to apply early.
I just wanna be in the army!  :warstory:

To get into the reserve, you have to be atleast 16, with parental consent and have a certain amount of grade 10 credits(if you pass all your grade 10 courses, you got the required school credits).

You can probably pick up a application, but I don't know if the recruiters will do anything with it, they may hold it and than as soon as your of age start processing it/sending it off to the CFRC.

Back