• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Marines

As far as I know, ALL federal enforcement officers have access to sidearms when they need them. I know a fellow who works for Enviroment Canada, as an investigator, he carries one from time to time.

Gents
The Coast Guard has many times the number of ships/boats that the military does because there are CCG and CCGA ( Canadian Coast Guard Auxilliary) rescue vessels all over the place. The majority of them are manned by volunteers who receive CCG training and go on patrol in tiny little 35 foot rescue vessels trying to keep all of the dopey, drunken canadian boaters alive.
Unlike the army reserves they are not paid at all and face situations many times more dangerous than the average police auxilliary or army reservist.
These vessels can be found around Canada on any large body of water.
There is a web site for the CCG/CCGA
www.ccga-gcac.org/home/home_e.asp

:salute: :cdn:

When I hear of rotational command I think of the former airborne and the mess they found themselves in. It can be argued that at the time of the upcoming Somalia mission, the new Vandoo commander was not the "best" choice. It was however, that regiment‘s turn. A better choice at the time would have been the PPCLI‘s candidate (who was later appointed to clean things up, which he did, but it was too late).

I don‘t mind the idea of discussion on the topic of joint operations and postings though. I think it‘s healthy to exchange personnel. Impressions and friendships can be quite useful when politicians and bereaucrats begin to play their games.

Having more access to Yankie toys, sure. Why not eh;)

Originally posted by Enzo:
[qb] It can be argued that at the time of the upcoming Somalia mission, the new Vandoo commander was not the "best" choice. It was however, that regiment‘s turn. [/qb]
Of course it can be argued... The man who took over was the Regt‘s DCO. I believe it is still common practice for the 2ic to take over when the Cmder is away. Was the man himself the good choice ? Maybe not... but then why was he the DCO ???

I‘m sorry buds this combined army stuff isn‘t going to fly. The closest scheme I could see working similar to your own is increased training with one another. Under no circumstances would I ever wear a uniform without the maple leaf on the left shoulder. What your talking about is Canada giving up its identity before long we‘d be recognized as the next state. :cdn:

Jungle - That‘s basically what I meant. The Airborne operated on a rotation of commanders shared between the 3 regiments. It was the Vandoo‘s turn to provide a CO for the regiment around the same time they were departing for Somalia (give or take, it‘s been awhile since I studied these events so I‘m a bit rusty on some of the specifics, but the gist of it is accurate. All are welcome to correct me where I get it blurry). The individual chosen for the task proved to be a poor choice and suspicions were raised before he took command. The PPCLI candidate was the prefered choice, but as it wasn‘t that regiments turn, he was passed over. After the events in Somalia, he was brought in to take over and clean things up.

As for why he was the DCO. That‘s the crux of this thing. Personnel should be promoted/assigned according to their qualifications/merits and experience. You know, the best man (sorry, "person") for the job. Not the next person in line who best fulfills a suitability quotient or political agenda. Appeasement sucks. Careerism sucks. And REMF‘s getting ahead at the expense of those who have earned a slot...

...I‘m tired, going to stop while I‘m ahead :D Just one of those days eh.

Talk about timing...

"The Americans started cropping up on the Atlantic Coast in Quebec, in the Sault Sainte Marie area of Ontario, and in Western Canada. A Canadian Defense Ministries report said the U.S. claimed that under the 1794 Jay Treaty it had the right to recruit Canadian native inhabitants for its military because aboriginal Canadians held dual U.S.-Canadian citizenship."

I was wondering why the US Marines were recruiting from our native populations specifically. Now we know. This has come up before in other threads about the recruitment, but what the **** is the "Jay Treaty?" Read on kids, the links a good place to start eh.

http://www.villagevoice.com/issues/0352/mondo2.php

As if the American military wasn‘t already disproportianately larger then the Canadian Forces already that they have to recruit from inside our borders. Correct me if I‘m wrong but the CF has been actively looking for new troops to fill the growing number of senior troops that are retireing in the Reg force units. The CF needs every able bodied recruit it can get its hands on. I don‘t have any ideas other then to put a stop to this asap. Any ideas? :soldier:

Why stop it? If they want to recruit, fine. But don‘t be hypocrites about it. Open up the borders. If a Yank wants to serve with us, fine. If we want to go there, fine. Citizenship should be separate. And as for the security argument. Get serious. It‘s up the the relevant agencies to perform the security checks as part of the application process. If anything, they should enjoy having the odd undesirable coming to them and being revealed.

If the CF wants to prevent this loss of potential talent to the US, then the Government has to provide the resources to make the committment to the CF competetive with that of our allies. If they do not, then do not be surprised when people choose to opt for a military that appears to provide many of the incentives that they desire over that of their parent nation.

Isn‘t that supposed to be the point, we are all "free" to choose our paths for ourselves?

heres a video of the kind of stuff marines do http://www.informationclearinghouse.info/article5365.htm

Back