• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Marines

D

dowierj

I am intrested in joining the marines. A recruiter in Spokane, Washington told me I could and to come down to begin testing. Being a 18 hour drive from where I live, I tried to locate another recruiter and the one in North Dakota said they did not accept Canadians. Does anyone know what the truth is and if it is possible for a Canadian to join the Marines? I am not a Native A :soldier: merican nor do I have a green card.

Well, here‘s what ya do. Go on the internet chatrooms. Meet a lonely american girl and play her till she thinks you are inlove with her. Cross the border and marry her. Then you can join up. After a few months you can get the marriage annuled (however you spell it).

I believe the rule is that you cannot move to the US with the sole goal of becoming a soldier. You need another reason to go to the country first, then you can become a soldier thereof.

There was a time, I believe, when you could join and automatically get citizenship, but I believe that time has passed.

What I heard, anyway. Perhaps Maj. Sherwood can provide more information, what with him actually *being* American and all...

Kurrgan - If you marry an American Citizen, there are indeed avenues to immigrate to the US. If you split or divorce your spouse within the first 3 years, you will be deported. If they don‘t know about it, you are here illegally, having voided the conditions of your entry. At least this was the case when I married a US Citizen.

I know that. My buddy did that though and was in 10th Mtn in Bosnia when they finally found out he split with her. So when he got back he was discharged and deported. He made it up to E5 Sgt in about 3 years. Sniper course and Ranger course. Was about to transfer to the 101st before he was kicked out.

The Royal Marines recruit from the commonwealth, and I believe Canada is a member of the commonwealth providing you are a Canadian citizen you could look into the Royal Marines.

Right on, instead of joining the US Marines, if you are ready to join a foreign army, go for the Brits.

It‘s all a mess. I don‘t understand it at all. On the one hand, I‘ve been told that you have to be in the US for 3 years until to can qualify to apply to the US Military. Then again, the US Marines have actively been recruiting Native Canadians from the east coast in communities near the border for years. How does that work? If you marry, then what are the rules there? And what of the changes to those rules now the that US Military is taking losses and seeking new personnel? I‘ve heard that changes are coming?

Commonwealth isn‘t much better. Amount of time in the country, age restrictions, etc...

Seems the French Foreign Legion is willing to take anyone at any time. If you‘re prepared to sacrifice on the level that they ask and that you can pass the entry requirements.

I don‘t get any of these immigration issues. If I‘m prepared to commit to a foreign government (UK/US/AUS) then do a security/background check and carry on. What‘s the difference who fights for you?

Machiavelli‘s "The Prince"
http://www.bartleby.com/36/1/13.html

While I know Machiavelli is not the be-all and know-all of warfare, his argument on why foreign soldiers should not fight for you makes an excellent point.

For reference, just in case, the auxiliary soldier is a foreign soldier that fights for you.

To join the Royal Marine‘s or any Brit Force I believe you must have resided in the U.K. for at least 6 month‘s and some other hurdle‘s.
Contact the closest Brit. Consular Service and they will help.

The Royal Marine‘s are a harder bunch than the U.S.M.C. as they are the R.N. version of S.A.S.,Para.‘s,Infantry,Engineer‘s all thrown in to one called a Royal Marine Commando.

Tuff nut‘s the lot of em!
Here‘s the link for the Royal Engineer,Royal Marine‘s pre training before going onto the Royal Marine Training.
Note the 30‘ rope climb in full fighting order!

http://www.army.mod.uk/royalengineers/org/59sqn/training.htm

Old School they‘s got‘s lot‘s of money and shiny toy‘s and sh!@##y food but at least we got good food Eh? LOL

Regarding joining the brits, do you need to join the british regular army first or do you join and train to be a royal marine.

If you whant to be a Marine you join the Royal Marine‘s.

But to be a Engineer you must join the Army first then go through all your Engineer training then apply for the Marine‘s from your home Unit.Then you go through Pre.selection then Marine training and if you pass all then you get posted to 59 Indep Cdo Sqn.

The link I posted can answer all your question‘s about the R.E. Commando‘s.

Hope this help‘s.

Good luck if you go for it!

My understanding is that you can join the US forces, any branch, provided you have a green card, meaning gainfully employed for an American employer, again from my understanding. The catch is that you can‘t get any clearances above the most basic one if you aren‘t an American citizen. So this means you could join the USMC or the Army to become up to a paratrooper. But until you get citizenship, no highspeed stuff like Ranger battalion, Army Special Forces, Force Recon(Recon Bns as well I think), or Navy SEALs. Thing is, by serving in the military down there, you can fasttrack your citizen application, having to wait only 3 years, vice the normal five years. Since the usual enlistment down there is a four year contract, before you finish out your enlistment, if you worked it right, you can become a citzen, become eligable for clearance, and be in the zone where you re-up for a second enlistment, plus be fairly experienced in your service and MOS of choice, thus being somewhat attractive to the big boys assuming you are a physical stud, know your job down cold, and have you head and your life wired pretty tight. Not an altogether bad proposition, if you ask me. The only thing I haven‘t been able to find out yet is how being engaged/married affects the process, but that may not apply to you.

An intersting (to me) point, there seems to be the sentiment that you should "keep it in the Commonwealth" so to speak, rather than joining up with the Evil American Juggernaut. But, if you look at Iraq, the Brits, Aussies, and Kiwis are all there playing the game alongside the Yanks. And the SAS was in A-stan in the early stages alongside the US Marines and SF troops kicking a## and taking names. It seems to me that joining up with the Americans would be an even tighter fit than going to the Brits or Aussies. I have much more in common with the Yanks I know than the Brits I‘ve met (besides being a "subject" of HRH). America is fighting for the interests of Canada, no matter how the pinkos in the country want to spin it. What keeps America free and prosperous is what keeps Canada the same way. Besides, whenever libs scream that Canada doesn‘t need armed forces because the States will take care of us, isn‘t that proving my point? Anyway, I just found that bemusing.

Marauder,
the only reason I posted about the Royal Marine‘s
is because as a Canadian it‘s easier to join up than it is trying to get into the U.S. Force‘s not because of as you stated "keep it in the Commonwealth".

6 month‘s residency vs 1yr+ waiting for a green card if your lucky these day‘s!

Ok, here‘s my beef. What if you aren‘t interested in either UK or US citizenship? I would be open to serving in either country, but I have no desire to give up my citizenship.

I just don‘t understand all of this nonsense. If someone wants to serve, why all of these hassles?

Back