• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Locking Forums & Academia Debate

Infanteer,

I agree with you. Forming opinions based on what you read, and then changing those opinions when you read something else is how your argument evolves. I would just be very cautious about how early you let your opinion become your thesis. It could add another form of bias into your paper. Bias is ultimately inevitable, but we should try to do as much as possible to reduce its impact.

MissMolsonIndy, when are we going to get to take a look at some of the questions you plan on asking everyone?

P.

I'm starting to think the dialogue/responses in this thread IS her thesis.

Wrong.

Believe it or not, I can formulate and support my own opinions on a topic.

I will post my paper in a weeks time.

By locking my forum, you've shown that only "right-wing bias" in appropriate on these grounds.

If you would prefer me re-phrase my questions in a more objective manner, then I will.

What I find intriguing is that threads will be locked, and moderators will continue to post snide comments with no ability for rebuttal...  I mean, www.cuteboys.com?  What kind of tripe is that AFTER the threads been locked?  Maturity.  Wow.  However, Mr. Bobbitt's chosen his moderators, and as I'm SURE someone's going to say, "if you don't like it, go somewhere else".  It's kinda fun that way.  ;)

T

QUOTE,
If you would prefer me re-phrase my questions in a more objective manner, then I will.

Humour a poor little grade 9 drop-out and tell me, isn't that what you are supposed to do when trying to gather information?....or is it just when you want info to make you look right?
Screw the truth,I know what I know  or................no that polls not right ,quick take another one.

Take a chill pill. It's reopened. It was originally locked so it wouldn't get out of hand, not for right or left wing reasons. Your implied intent was to have people email you with the answers, if I'm correct. If so, you shouldn't be upset about it being locked, as you may have still gotten responses. IMO, you designed it to play out right here, as it has started to, and I have my personal doubts as to whether the questions constitute the real subject of your paper. However, it's unlocked, hope you have time to keep up.

As the original poster has been answered, this one IS locked.

Bruce:

Sure it is, but, like anyone, I can only be as objective as my views permit me.

I'll say it again, I don't deny that there is bias in my questions, and furthermore, I do recognize that a certain amount of bias is necessary to stimulate debate. I have posed questions based on how I perceive the world, much like you, and others, will respond to the questions based on how you see the world. If you want to "see-saw" on bias, please do: I'm biased, you're biased, we're all biased.

I agree with you that I could have been slightly more objective in the phrasing of my questions, and I apologize if I've caused an uproar.

When it comes down to it, the "truth" is as one sees fit. That being said, doesn't my being here, show that I'm not looking to have my "truths" confirmed?

I responded to the questionnaire â “ quickly and with all my biases on parade, too.   I recommend we all do the same, as private citizens â “ not, for many of you, as members of our armed forces.

Of course her questions are biased, she's human, she has a point of view and she is seeking our opinions, not some sort of official gospel.

I have been asked many more very biased questions by people in very official capacities seeking to strengthen their positions before submitting recommendations to more senior military or political 'management.'   It is the nature of policy and politics for both students and practitioners.

At least she is asking questions and, even better, in an inherently skeptical forum.   Good on her, I say, and good luck, too.

Just a note to assuage Torlyn's feelings of injustice, Moderators have the ability to post on locked forums.   However, the fact that the forum is locked may not be apparent due to the fact that the member went to the forum from the Intro page.

I've responded to posts before and only realized that it was locked later.   So don't feel that there is some conspiracy on the part of the staff to abuse our powers in an effort to push a right wing agenda or something....

BTW, this thread is locked (for good reason), so if anyone wishes to respond to this statement, they can PM me.

Infanteer said:
MissMolsonIndy,

Since you took the time to respond, I'll offer up my rebuttal.

MissMolsonIndy said:
Posing questions on this forum in order to determine readers' opinions with regards to â Å“left-wingâ ? interpretations of Canadian and US Foreign Policy, is equivalent to finding a needle in a haystack. This has been addressed several times already; don't argue for the sake of arguing.

Indeed. These questions are loaded with my own bias, much like any other opinion that I hold. And while I realize, and agree with you, that the majority of these questions should have been re-phrased in a more objective manner, judging by the responses I've received thus far, I have yet to run into an opinion that runs parallel with my own. Which tells me two things: Firstly, the majority of you are very capable of recognizing and pinpointing bias, and secondly, the â Å“insinuationsâ ? and â Å“pejorative statements,â ? ingrained in my questions, have by no means swayed the individuals on this forum, if anything, my ingrained bias has forced them to think more critically about the questions.

I find it hard to accept as true that you believe that you can collect completely â Å“neutralâ ? data, on a subjective issue (not to mention one that the public feels strongly about). The fact of the matter is there's no getting around bias in a situation of the sort. There are certainly measures (some of which I've failed to reproduce) that you can take to help eliminate it, but to completely do away with it is impossible if you are collecting data from human beings, who are cognitive, emotional and who piece together a picture of the world that is comprehensible and workable in their frame of thought from social experience. Even if you have taken all of the necessary measures, what â Å“groupings of society,â ? respond to your questionnaire (with participants chosen at large, and at random) is beyond your control. We see the same patterns in the Canadian Electoral system. If Canada could only achieve a voter-turnout of approximately 60% in the last election, at best, what makes you think that the same doesn't occur in polls and other statistics? Individuals have a predisposition to exclude themselves from issues that tend not to concern them, or similarly issues that they stand â Å“neutralâ ? on.

Old Guy really said it best.   Instead of asking a question that begins with a negative opinion on Missile Defence/Iraq/George W Bush/whatever and then asking the question, why don't you simply ask the question?

eg: instead of:

14. The Vietnam War was launched on "government lies passed on by pliant mass media," where "North Vietnamese torpedo boats launched an "unprovoked attack" against a U.S. destroyer on "routine patrol" in the Tonkin Gulf on Aug. 2 -- and that North Vietnamese PT boats followed up with a "deliberate attack" on a pair of U.S. ships two days later." The Gulf War, was sold to the United States, "the mother of all clients," by a "it bleeds, it leads" story about babies being tossed out of incubators by Iraqi soldiers. As officials and the mass media learned of the witness's blood ties with the Kuwaiti government, the story began to fall apart, and the war was launched on false information/propaganda. The Iraq War was launched by the United States of America on the basis that Iraq was developing and concealing weapons of mass destruction, with no evidence that these weapons of mass destruction even exist, is it viable that government lies and deception have once again "sold a war" to the media and public?

couldn't you just ask:

Do you feel that the media plays a role in legitimizing or presenting a state's justification for war?   If so, what do you think is the nature of this relationship?

MissMolsonIndy said:
Yes, you're right, the question could have and should have been phrased in ways that would have reduced any excess indications of bias. The questions, however, have already been formulated, many responses have already been welcomed, and this issue has been addressed several times over; I have made it clear that I am in agreement with you, so why do you insist on beating a dead horse? You don't make your argument any stronger by reiterating the same point again and again.

If you're still convinced that I have come to this forum (which is, needless to say, predominated by conservatism, and by and large â Å“right-wingâ ? views) in search of having my commonly â Å“left-wingâ ? beliefs confirmed, particularly in the sense that the questions I have posed will 'sway' readers towards responding with more â Å“leftistâ ? ideals, values and supporting information, than they otherwise would, then I honestly don't know what more to say, Infanteer...

I have come here to have the very views and supportive evidence that I accept as â Å“truthâ ? to be challenged by alternative ways of thinking. If that weren't the case, would I not be at the local 'war resisters campaign,' bathing in 'idealist goodness'?

Furthermore, I have been erroneously painted with stripes of â Å“academic with a deficiency of real world experienceâ ?, â Å“leftist-eggheadâ ?, and â Å“idealism.â ? Although I can unearth validity in the ways in which â Å“idealistsâ ? paint the world, my views very much run parallel with the realist perspective. I believe that ideology, â Å“a set of expectations, assumptions, beliefs, values and prescriptions for the organization of society,â ? and the most fundamental ways in which human beings render the complexity of the world into something simplistic and comprehensible, inevitably breeds conflict, and conflict, for the most part, promotes change. I do, however, remain skeptical about the ways in which this particular conflict should be dealt with, be it with diplomacy or â Å“hotâ ? conflict. Therefore to paint me as an â Å“idealist war resister,â ? on the basis that I disagree with the fundamental basis and implementation of the Iraq War (for moreover philosophical reasoning than for aiding the Iraqi populace to live freely from an oppressive dictatorship) runs against the perspective in world politics that I most closely associate myself with: realism. Furthermore, to paint me as such also reveals the narrow line of thought in your ideological framework, because if I'm not entirely â Å“forâ ? the war, then I must be â Å“againstâ ? it. I think our good friend George W. Bush says it best: â Å“If you're not with us, you're with the terrorists!â ?

As per the â Å“attacks on Academia,â ? it is my belief that you lack an understanding of how the Academic World functions: academic institutions don't serve as a breeding-ground for â Å“leftistâ ? ideals, if anything, academic institutions provide grounds upon which one formulates and confirms one's own perspectives on local, national and international affairs. How else would one account for â Å“right-wingâ ? politicians (many of which complete their undergraduate degree within Political Science), Infanteer's generally â Å“right-wingâ ? views (who also studied Political Science at a local University, no less), and a large portion of the population who don't necessarily conform to â Å“left-wingâ ? values and ideals? I've had excellent professors, in every which field I have studied, that have come from â Å“left-wingâ ?, â Å“right-wingâ ?, and everything in between. Again, you wrongly assume that because one doesn't fall as far â Å“rightâ ? as possible on the spectrum, that they automatically fall as far â Å“leftâ ? as possible. I fall somewhere in between the rightist and leftist extremes, and refuse to make the case that the majority of individuals fall far â Å“leftâ ?, or far â Å“rightâ ?, when most of the political parties available do not hold fast to either extreme.

Similarly, on the same basis that you have argued that Academia births â Å“leftist-eggheads,â ? I could argue that military institutions birth â Å“right-wing war mongers.â ? Although I cannot speak for all, I personally refrain from this line of reasoning; I simply wanted to indicate that the coin could be flipped either way.

Lastly, no I have not served in the military, but unless you are suggesting that the military is the only means by which one may acquire real world experience, it does not inhibit my potentiality to gain real world experience, nor does it discount any real world experience that I have previously gained.

Likewise, on what basis can you argue that all military personnel have acquired â Å“real world experienceâ ??

Paint me if you so please, just know that you are colouring me on individual grounds, and not on the basis of my arguments.

What on Earth is this doing in the Canadian Army forum?
Surely it now more properly belongs in Off Topic ... ???

Nope. It started there and got off to a rocky start. It's playing out well at the moment and I don't want to upset the cart.

Back