• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Living Quarters and Free Time

Hoxtongue said:
493 a month!?! Are you kidding me? I could eat for a month for far less buying food
I am not going to fight that deal. Not a chance. You wont either paying for your girlfriends airfare. Then again Im used to paying rent over 1.5X that plus food, and cooking if I dont eat out.

Klinkaroo said:
There is a program now called LTA (Leave Travel Assistance)

It has been around, and called that for at least 20 years.

Yeah but oddly enough I have always wanted to learn how to cook. Not anything too crazy but it would be good to learn. So to save money I should live in the shared/single rooms and get the rations. That doesnt sound bad at all. and my living expenses will be 650 ish a month. Thats not too bad really. Any tips on saving money anyone?

Hoxtongue said:
Yeah but oddly enough I have always wanted to learn how to cook. Not anything too crazy but it would be good to learn. So to save money I should live in the shared/single rooms and get the rations. That doesnt sound bad at all. and my living expenses will be 650 ish a month. Thats not too bad really. Any tips on saving money anyone?

Search found; http://Forums.Army.ca/forums/threads/26093.0.html

Dont buy things you dont need. Best way to save. Being single saves a boatload too.

That link wasnt too helpful. I'm looking for ways to keep cost of living low. That link was talking about investments and rrsp's. Just any tips. One was dont drink your face off on weekends, another was the rations, just anything like that.

You're correct, investments and overall financial management and planning isn't helpful. Took me days to finish the 10 pages in that ,you're good.

I'm almost 19 and pay rent, car insurance, cell bills and for the most part buy food. I obviously cannot know what military life entails yet. I rarely drink and am for the most part fairly responsible. I am not asking for common sense. What you invest in or put into RRSP's are money that you have left over after the cost of living. The drinking thing was a stretch but what I'm looking for is saying "Well living in this housing is the best and having this ration plan is the best". I just want to know what I'm getting into. So from what I understand to save the most money I should be staying in either shared or single quarters and the ration plan is cheaper then me buying and making my own food. That's what I'm looking for. Thanks...

Hoxtongue said:
I'm almost 19 and pay rent, car insurance, cell bills and for the most part buy food. I obviously cannot know what military life entails yet. I rarely drink and am for the most part fairly responsible. I am not asking for common sense. What you invest in or put into RRSP's are money that you have left over after the cost of living. The drinking thing was a stretch but what I'm looking for is saying "Well living in this housing is the best and having this ration plan is the best". I just want to know what I'm getting into. So from what I understand to save the most money I should be staying in either shared or single quarters and the ration plan is cheaper then me buying and making my own food. That's what I'm looking for. Thanks...

Some bases, actually I think it's nationwide now, require you to be on rations if you live in the shacks (single quarters). This makes sense since SQ's don't have any real kitchen facilities where you can make proper meals. When I lived in SQ's this wasn't yet implemented and I saved a butt-load of money only paying for quarters($70month). I payed per meal when I ate at the mess, usually only for supper because I ate breakfast in the shacks and brought something in to work for lunch. I didn't really add it up but I was under $200/month for food for sure.

Your situation is kinda tricky. You can either A: stay in the shacks and live on rations that you probably won't get all of...ei not eat the cost of rations per month or B: Try to rent a place in the area or get a PMQ and make your own food. This one can be more expensive because the cost of rent and PMQ's are very high in generally every base you go to. When you get posted to your base you need to evaluate your situation and come up with the most logical and economical decision. I know for myself, I could live in the shacks and pay rations but there is no point since I travel a lot and everything is paid for. I don't want to deal with having to deduct the days I'm not home from my monthly ration bill......if that is even possible. There is also leave, do you really want to pay full months rations when you are only there for a week out of the month?

I personally liked it better when rations was optional and you could just walk into the mess and pay for what you ate. I can see why they changed it though, people living in the shacks wouldn't go to the mess and eat really poorly.

Thank you everyone you've been so helpful. From what I gather almost every single decision can't be made until you're posted to a base. One last question. Is there anyone on each base to help with these decisions once I'm posted? I have a feeling I'll be back on the forums when its all settled out and I am posted but talking to someone in person is a little easier. 

Hoxtongue said:
That link wasnt too helpful. I'm looking for ways to keep cost of living low. That link was talking about investments and rrsp's. Just any tips. One was dont drink your face off on weekends, another was the rations, just anything like that.

If you are seeking general advice on living more frugally (which does not necessarily mean "cheaply"), try finding and subscribing to relevant on-line newsletters. You certainly don't have to follow all the advice they give, and much won't apply to your situation anyway, but you can pick and choose the advice that does fit, and it helps you create a mindset around how you spend your money and how to change the habits you don't like.  Small changes can help make the difference, freeing up that small portion of your income to save for the things you want to achieve.

For example:

The Simple Dollar - click the "get via email" in the header to receive the blog posts as a daily -mail, it saves you from remembering to surf to the site, and reading them only takes a few minutes of your day (then delete, or save the ones that really hit home).

My DH only lived in the "shacks" on base for a very short time. He joined the forces at 18 and bought a house before he was 21. Once he was sure that his posting was going to be for over a year we went ahead and bought a little house. I paid for 1/2 of the down payment and we went to a lawyer to make sure that my investment would be protected if we broke up, since I wasn't living in the house. I was still at University and I didn't live in the house, since I was in Peterboro. This  house was in Petawawa. He got 2 other guys from the shacks to move in with him. These were guys he had known since Basic.  His mortgage was paid by the 2 other guys and he paid heat, insurance, hydro and any fix ups.  They split cable and phone.  They all learned to cook and shared meals.

They all lived there for about 2 years, until I married DH and moved in.  Once I had a job we renovated the house (it was icky and out dated!).

We sold the house after owning it for 7 years, upon being posted out of Pet. We made a lot of cash and were able to buy a fantastic place at our new posting.  Since then we have bought, fixed and sold several houses (one per posting), making money every time and are living on waterfront property today!  We now have lots of equity. The armed forces helps you pay the costs to move/buy/sell.  Look for threads about this on the forum.

So my advice to you is to buy if you can, find some roomies and do some renos. I

People have to understand with regards to rations. It is covering the cost a yes Food (up to your entitlement, so for supper example you are paying to get a bowl of soup, a 6" plate of from the salad bar, a main course, a desert, 3 snacks and two glasses of something to drink and a coffee. Add up all that, it get's pricey quick, and that is just one supper, not counting lunch or breakfast but if you cook at home and make one chicken breast and a cup of rice and one glass of juice, yeah it's going to be cheaper.You are also paying for the cooks to make the food for you, the cost of heating the area that you eat in, the kitchen staff to clean your dishes for you, the cost of electricity to eat the water to clean your dishes.

Personally I like it, I just walk in and I'm out within 30 minutes, no dishes, no grocery shopping, no trying to figure out what I am going to cook tonight, or getting home late and not wanting to put in the effort ect...

Thanks. I see alot about buying houses on base. From what I see I'm thinking I'm going to be moved around fairly often. I will be going into basically the construction trades. Electrical specifically but everyone says I'll learn a basic amount about all of them. What would be you opinions on buying a house if there for a short time, using my own skills and possibly those of others on base to flip a house while there. It wouldn't be too hard, just a bit every night if I'm there for months and really, I'll be away from my Girlfriend so I don't know that I'll be doing too much in my time off. From what I see the single quarters and such mean I'll have a decent amount of money left over and I see this as a more involved method of investing my money. Any opinions?

Klinkaroo said:
People have to understand with regards to rations. It is covering the cost a yes Food (up to your entitlement, so for supper example you are paying to get a bowl of soup, a 6" plate of from the salad bar, a main course, a desert, 3 snacks and two glasses of something to drink and a coffee. Add up all that, it get's pricey quick, and that is just one supper, not counting lunch or breakfast but if you cook at home and make one chicken breast and a cup of rice and one glass of juice, yeah it's going to be cheaper.You are also paying for the cooks to make the food for you, the cost of heating the area that you eat in, the kitchen staff to clean your dishes for you, the cost of electricity to eat the water to clean your dishes.

Personally I like it, I just walk in and I'm out within 30 minutes, no dishes, no grocery shopping, no trying to figure out what I am going to cook tonight, or getting home late and not wanting to put in the effort ect...

A friend of mine just finished Basic Training at St Jean and he told me that the ration fee of almost 500 bucks per month seems expensive, but it is rather cheap considering that the food quality is good, no dishes to do, no cooking or shopping, and all you can eat (if you have time)  ::).  He mentioned something that the recruit is at "ration strength" which he finally understands because of  how much he and his fellow recruits should eat to have enough energy to make it through the training.  Obviously chicken fingers, fries, and orange juice won't be enough. Mind you that in his case, he lost weight even though he said he ate considerably more than his usual habit. 

If I may, I suggest that you also look up WiseBread for tips on living frugally.

http://www.wisebread.com/

liams mom said:
So my advice to you is to buy if you can, find some roomies and do some renos. I

thanks for information...i will definitely look into it...much appreciated!

Hoxtongue said:

Buy a hair trimmer and cut your own hair or get a buddy to do it since you'll be getting a haircut often. Smuggle food out of the mess back to the shacks to get your money's worth. Things like fruit, bread, and some deserts are great to fit in your pocket. Split cabs or take the bus if possible when going downtown. Don't lose any of your kit or you'll have to pay for it. Don't buy any extra "Gucci kit" from civilian stores unless you really need to, like for boots if you just can't stand the military ones. Carry your military ID with you everywhere and ask if there is a "government discount," for example at hotels. Really keep an eye on your pay statements since I know practically everyone has gotten screwed by the computer or the clerks before. But if you catch the mistake then they'll correct it no problem. Movie theatres on base are pretty cheap, like $2 a ticket.

Comrade said:
Buy a hair trimmer and cut your own hair or get a buddy to do it since you'll be getting a haircut often. Smuggle food out of the mess back to the shacks to get your money's worth. Things like fruit, bread, and some deserts are great to fit in your pocket.

I would advise against this advice; most CSM's do not like barrack room haircuts so unless you can actually cut hair don't do it.  With regards to the food almost all messs halls have a policy against removing food from the mess, and if you do you are breaking regulations.  Just something to think about.

Comrade said:
Buy a hair trimmer and cut your own hair or get a buddy to do it since you'll be getting a haircut often. Smuggle food out of the mess back to the shacks to get your money's worth. Things like fruit, bread, and some deserts are great to fit in your pocket.

I also have an issue with both of these suggestions from a public health point of view.

If you trim your own hair, fine.  Do not let a "buddy" give you a barrack room haircut.  Common use trimmers are notorious for passing on communicable diseases like lice, etc.

As far as the food goes, you'll be sorry when there are insects and mice in your room.

If you can save money for a downpayment on a house, look to see what community you are buying into. My husband and I purchased a house near Petawawa four years ago. We paid $127K for it and put maybe $5K into it over the years. Today we can get almost $200K for it, whenever we sell it. It depends where you are. Petawawa for example, is full of houses for sale at high prices for not-very-much house. (Why we bought just outside of town, tons more house for our $$)  If you can manage to find a house that's been on the market awhile, you may be able to find a deal. A lot of the older houses in that area for example, have knob and tube electrics so most buyers won't touch it with a ten-foot pole. But, if you are an electrician and can re-do it during your free time, then you may snag a deal. Also, find some roomies which isn't a problem down that way. I'm pretty certain in most military communities you will find an abundance of roommates who can't really afford a house of their own but don't want to live on base housing.

If you're uncertain, find a cheap place to stay for your first posting --- save up  and learn your trade --- and then your next posting, do the splurge for the house putting down a nice chunk of cash on your mortgage.

Back