• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Little bit of Naval Aweseome (HMCS OTTAWA ships moral badge)

@Underway there be rumours going around that, despite the amount of consultation that went into it, someone made a complaint on some grounds about the OTTAWA morale patch, and it's been kiboshed.
It is my experience- unrelated with this initiative- that it doesn’t matter how many people invested in a project- or how much a community wants something. There is an element of every community- and that includes FN- that will say that any portion of or cooperation with the Canadian government represents colonialism (in the FN lens- other communities have other objections)

Any middle managing federal person (middle and up) will “err on the side of caution” and shut it down.

No matter the positivity or enthusiasm. No amount of negative comments can be allowed, Because a spoonful of shit ruins the barrel of wine.

Maybe that isn’t what happened here- it’s pure speculation. But I wasn’t shocked to see the rumour.

As in elements and meteorological effects? HMCS Storm, Thunderer, Lightning? The RN naturally has already taken up those names over the centuries, but I think they'd be pretty cool too.

Or their FN language equivalents, maybe.

I always liked the ships' names that accurately reflected the interpersonal political environment within the Navy, some of which sparked a poem or two ;)

Just spoke with the RCN historians who sit by me here in Carling. They are the ones who collate the badges in the repository and they state that without a doubt that Ottawa's Moral Patch team did everything right, from design, consultation and approval. They have not heard anything (official or rumint) that the patch is being removed.

Just spoke with the RCN historians who sit by me here in Carling. They are the ones who collate the badges in the repository and they state that without a doubt that Ottawa's Moral Patch team did everything right, from design, consultation and approval. They have not heard anything (official or rumint) that the patch is being removed.
Schrödinger's first rule of communication:

The first confirmation that a rumour is true is when it's initially denied.

Schrödinger's first rule of communication:

The first confirmation that a rumour is true is when it's initially denied.
season 2 GIF

Their instagram page in June they appear to still be using it 🤷‍♀️ as of June 1 at least.

@Underway there be rumours going around that, despite the amount of consultation that went into it, someone made a complaint on some grounds about the OTTAWA morale patch, and it's been kiboshed.
Haven't heard anything. There was some pushback from a member of the FN Advisory council (in Ottawa) that took a while to overcome. And that was likely the complaint that you heard about. It initialy torpedo'd the idea. However, the Sooke nation (who ajoins the base itself) basically said.. "Its our art, we approve. You don't speak for us". The language they used was rougher and less PC. The FNA backed off. Moral patch was implemented.

There was a short while were people were wearing unapproved versions onboard and were told to stow them until we got it approved, so we didn't screw up the process.

Haven't heard anything. There was some pushback from a member of the FN Advisory council (in Ottawa) that took a while to overcome. And that was likely the complaint that you heard about. It initialy torpedo'd the idea. However, the Sooke nation (who ajoins the base itself) basically said.. "Its our art, we approve. You don't speak for us". The language they used was rougher and less PC. The FNA backed off. Moral patch was implemented.

There was a short while were people were wearing unapproved versions onboard and were told to stow them until we got it approved, so we didn't screw up the process.
That's great news, it's good to see some pushback against the institutional standard "no" answer.

Good news that it worked, seemingly in spite of the process, not because of it. Canada's First Nations, like many other collective groups, are not a monolithic bloc.

You may not know this, or be able to share even if you do, but was the member of the FN advisory counsel a FN person who had an unnecessary but perhaps valid complaint/"caution", or was it a non-FN person seeing problems where there was none?

You may not know this, or be able to share even if you do, but was the member of the FN advisory counsel a FN person who had an unnecessary but perhaps valid complaint/"caution", or was it a non-FN person seeing problems where there was none?
It could be a FN or non- FN type that just wanted to swing their dick and stick to "The man". Seen lots of that sort of stuff.

It could be a FN or non- FN type that just wanted to swing their dick and stick to "The man". Seen lots of that sort of stuff.
Well I mean, people take their cue from their leadership. How goes the "Heart of Oak" replacement initiative ?

Angus has tasked D Music to come up with a new march for the RCN.

Now, I don't know what CRCN's meeting schedules are like, but this sounds like "concurrent activity" in the BOTC sense.
Sure, but if I want to do concurrent activities, I am only thinking of things that really matter. At some point that will still create a lot of staff work within the CRCN line, and any more than absolutely none is wasted.

Creating and managing busy work for someone else still takes up time.

Back