- Reaction score
HMCS Tŝilhqot’in (Chilcotin)?Some of us developed a plan along with these sailors (and another) to put forward to the CSC naming committee regarding how to approach resurecting the Tribals. There is certainly an ear for it.
Basically you take the old Tribal class names. You rename them using the accepted language/spelling from the group they were supposed to represent. So like you said, Haudenosaunee instead of Iroquois.
The ship also gets a new crest designed by a Haudenosaunee artist in a traditional style combined with the current naval crest symbolism.
Finally you keep the battle honours of the previous Iroquois, to bring those into the future. Basically the ship is the same, we're just using a new name for it. It also wouldn't be the first time a ship crest was redisigned/updated. The ships motto could be updated as well if necessary. In Iroqouis case Relentless in chase could stay the same or undergo a language modification.
Why It Works:
Ship names generally meet a few criteria:
The proposed plan meets all of the above criteria. (1) is met by the FN communities the ship will be named after, (2) it keeps the battle honours and history of the original Tribal classes, (3) kinda obvious but again Canadian FN communites, (4) goes that extra mile for reconciliation with respect and honour.
- Connects with Canadians/Canadian communities
- Brings forward Canadian Naval Heritage/History
- Be recognizable as Canadian
- No disrespectful or death symbolism (so no the Erebus and Terror are likely not available due to that)
There is an unofficial (5) which is it's got a positive political message. And this would get all party support no mater who was in Gov't.
The previous Tribal Class names (1936):
- Haida (bring it back to active duty, no need to rename the old ship)
Some other ship names from RCN history that could be used and carry on battle honours (originally River class or subs but if the name fits):
- Kootany - I mentioned this name to a CPO2 and he got all teary eyed at the idea that Kootany could be brough back
- Okanogan (Syilx)
- Sioux (Nakota/Dakota)
Some major first nations groups that should have ships named after them:
- Cree (largest of the "nations" in Canada)
HMCS Secwépemc (Shuswap)?