• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

List of Canadian Army Ambulance vehicles?

GINge!

Reaction score
The Ambulance replacement thread got me wondering what vehicles have served as ambulances in the CF. I think I'm OK on the post-war list, but I'm sure there are gaps in the pre-1945 era.

Current:
Bison
G-wagon (not sure?)
LSVW
MLVV (as a dental SEV)

Post WW2:
Iltis
M-113A1 / A2
5/4 ton (not sure what the CF or M-## was?)
Dodge M-43 (based on M-37 chassis)

WW2:
Dodge WC-54
Jeep
Ford F-30 ?
Chevy 15 cwt ?

GINge! said:
Current:
Bison
G-wagon (not sure?)
LSVW
MLVV (as a dental SEV)

Bison Amb variant
LSVW
Ford F450

MLVW SEV (Dental and Medical kit) is not an amb...more like mobile DO/MO working space. I would not want to try to carry a patient in either.

Post ww2: 3/4 ton SMP (Lord - that was actually on my 404s) - it's been so long, I cannot remember the nomenclature, though

Also: I saw a Dodge 350 Powerwagon in Shilo in 1978 with a soft shell on it and a red cross... Maybe someone from 3 Horse can tell me if I am dreaming, or recalling incorrectly

pronto said:
Also: I saw a Dodge 350 Powerwagon in Shilo in 1978 with a soft shell on it and a red cross... Maybe someone from 3 Horse can tell me if I am dreaming, or recalling incorrectly

Are you thinking of the M-886 Power Wagon Ambs?
Check the middle photo here:
http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/48912/post-429561.html#msg429561

Old Medic: Yes, yes yes!!! I was not nuts. That is the Beastie. I even had an unfortunate ride in the back of one... (Dam* German Battleruns)

Thanks!
Pronto

Some jeep ambs were still around in the '80s until the Iltis ambs replaced them.

White halftracks were used in wwii Motor battalions as well - international Harvester models were not widely used by Canadians. Designated M3 in the US forces. Also ued in armoured regiments as armoured ambulances

Just dug up some other Amb's for those who may be interested:

WW2:

C-8 HUA

C-15 AA (I think CWM may have one on display, based on 15 cwt Chevy CMP chassis).

Kangaroo (A Sherman / Ram tank with the turret removed, used by 4 & 5 Armd Div)

Universal Carrier (aka Bren Gun Carrier)

It appears the WC-54 was not used in WW2, but we may have used US versions in Korea. Also, I believe the M3/M5 Halftrack amb was also used in Korea.

Back