• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Link to a vid of looting at a walmart

JJ

Inactive
Reaction score
This is a link to a vid from MSNNBC from a New Orlean's Walmat whilst being looted.

http://www.zippyvideos.com/8911023771013466/countdown-looting-in-walmart/

OMG!!

What is going to happen to those police officers that have looted(and been caught on video)??

I personally do not see an problem with "looting" for items of necessity like food and clothing, but stereo's and other electronics??
Geez!!

Thanks for the link JJ...I heard about this event but hadn't seen any "proof" of cops involved with the looting.

Hard to support that what they were doing was, "part of their job".  If they had a specific list of items required for the police (batteries, laundry soap, etc) and were upfront with the reporter...but...

I'd like to hear about any consequences for their actions.

Jeez, it's pretty serious when the police are looting, killing themselves over stress and just plain leaving the force.

Wow, you know if a window is broken in the States everyone jumps through the window and steals. If a window is broken in Canada we get concerned and say " Guys i think we should pick up the glass somebody might get hurt"

Ya I was told that if your car were to brake down in the states take everything not nailed down when you leave it, because when you walk to get help alot of people like to help themselve to the contents of your car

I too have been shocked by the images of the breakdown of law and order in the southern US.  On a positive note, here's a happier story about Americans.  I had a catastrophic transmission failure in a Jeep on the interstate between Washington and Idaho several years ago.  It included a runaway engine and lots of gas, oil and bits and pieces on the road.  Within 3 minutes an American stopped and drove me to a gas station where I could call to get a tow truck and other help.  I really appreciated this fellow's willingness to help someone stuck at the side of the road and I told him that I was amazed that he had stopped and I even said something like "I didn't think you fellows stopped to help people on the side of the freeway down here!"  His response was to the effect of "Well, I heard your engine go and I saw the Canadian flag so I figured that you'd probably be OK!"  He asked for nothing in return and was glad to help.  When I returned to the jeep with the tow truck it was just as I had left it. :tank:

TheShepherd said:
Jeez, it's pretty serious when the police are looting, killing themselves over stress and just plain leaving the force.

Please exercise caution, and compassion, when speaking about the police officers who committed suicide - I read that they'd lost their entire families, or in other words - everything on Earth that they loved ...

Also, the media may have jumped to conclusions and misled or misportrayed reports of resignations - another explanation is that these officers did the "honourable thing" and resigned when faced with a conflict between duty to their family or the job.  A difficult decision, especially if you were a young officer with a young family ...

Police Shoulder The Stress

NEW ORLEANS, Sept. 6, 2005
New Orleans Police Strained

"There's no police department in the history of the world that have gone through what we're going through."
New Orleans Police Chief Edwinn Compass

(CBS) There are few people more angry â “ or more disappointed over the lack of help from the outside â “ than those who had to shoulder the burden alone.

Help finally arrived, but CBS News Correspondent Lee Cowan reports that no one has been under greater stress in New Orleans than the police and firefighters.

"There's no police department in the history of the world that have gone through what we're going through," said New Orleans Police Chief Edwinn Compass. "But guess what? We're still standing and we'll still be here."

But barely. As many as 200 New Orleans police officers have walked off the job â “ mostly the younger ones, we're told.

But there are hundreds more who are missing â “ either stranded or dead â “ and others who have respectfully turned in their badges to deal with personal issues. At least 80 percent of the force lost their homes â “ or worse.

"There are a lot of officers that don't know where their kids are, they don't know where their wives are, their spouses are," said W.J. Riley, asst. superintendent of police.

"I have men who lost their families who are putting criminals in jail," Compass said. "We get in shootouts every night, they're shooting at our cars. They tried to take me hostage!"

The stress is taking its toll. Two of Compass' officers have already committed suicide â “ a breaking blow â “ that brought the chief to his knees.

"Any time you lose a guy who wears a blue shirt, it's hard, especially to that," said New Orleans Police Captain Tim Bayard.

It's hardly better for the city's firefighters.

"My house was two blocks from the break," said one.

Still, they're struggling to keep the city from burning to the ground without any water, electricity, or reliable communication.

"I'm just kinda numb," said Officer Sgt. Chuck Little who took just an hour off duty to check on his home, which was devastated by Katrina. "How do you fix something like that? I ask you?"

Little didn't even have time to answer his own question. Five minute later he was back on the job.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/09/06/eveningnews/main821585.shtml

bossi said:
Please exercise caution, and compassion, when speaking about the police officers who committed suicide - I read that they'd lost their entire families, or in other words - everything on Earth that they loved ...

Also, the media may have jumped to conclusions and misled or misportrayed reports of resignations - another explanation is that these officers did the "honourable thing" and resigned when faced with a conflict between duty to their family or the job.   A difficult decision, especially if you were a young officer with a young family ...

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/09/06/eveningnews/main821585.shtml

I think we all can agree on the isolated cases of the Officers who committed suicide. But what about the Tommies in WWII who had their Homes and Families wiped out in the Blitz?.

Soldiers are required to stand by their guns, if they don't, I don't have to go into detail what would happen to them. As for those Brave Officers and Fire Fighters who did their Duty and stood by their guns, Hats off and three cheers.

Other than geographical or psychical circumstances, there is no acceptable mitigation for not doing their duty.

As LEO's we take a oath to Protect and Serve and Defend the Citizens of our Country and Comunity.

As for the Honorable Resignations, what a crock of B..L Sh..T, by that token I guess you think its alright for the U.S. soldiers coming to Canada to avoid Active Service (for what ever reasons).

As for those three Officer's helping them selves at Wal Mart, for once I am glad there was somebody with a camera. If anybody deserves to be Dismissed and charged, they do.

FastEddy said:
As LEO's we take a oath to Protect and Serve and Defend the Citizens of our Country and Comunity.

As for the Honorable Resignations, what a crock of B..L Sh..T, by that token I guess you think its alright for the U.S. soldiers coming to Canada to avoid Active Service (for what ever reasons).

Glad to see we can count on your compassion ...
And, please turn yourself in for using crack - nothing I said could even be remotely linked to your wild leap of logic (for what ever reasons ... [sic]) - what're you going to call me next, a Nazi?
Grow up (or is that something they didn't teach you at the Wal-Mart of cop-ology?

bossi said:
Glad to see we can count on your compassion ...
And, please turn yourself in for using crack - nothing I said could even be remotely linked to your wild leap of logic (for what ever reasons ... [sic]) - what're you going to call me next, a Nazi?
Grow up (or is that something they didn't teach you at the Wal-Mart of cop-ology?

Compassion, Yes! but I direct it towards the Helpless Victims of this tragedy and certainly not for those who deserted their post and duties.

My comparison to the WWII British Soldiers that they were faced with the same circumstances and more. However they didn't Desert or Kill them selves.

I did not call you anything, I infered that if you could reason and mitigate in the defense for those Officers who deserted their posts you could probably do the same for U.S Army deserters.

As for the teachings at Wal-Mart cop-ology, one thing is for sure was, never desert your post or duties. Whoops! or was that the Army.

2332Piper said:
Someone's never been to Toronto (no offence to anyone in Toronto of course).

Don't start that game, we have our fair share of troublemakers (like people stealing generators and food during the ice storm in '98).

The Toronto thing was after a particular sports event, when criminal elements took advantage of the throng to mask their activities - not the same as post-disaster looting ...

As for Op RECUPERATION (the Ice Storm):   Where and with what unit were you deployed?
2 CMBG?   31, 32 or 33 CBG?   Oh, wait - I forgot - you're just a cadet ...

There were very few instances of generator theft, and the OPP or the local community dealt with them.
Theft of food?   Please explain.
One of the major food chains was giving away free groceries, both as a charitable act and in order to avoid having perishables rot on their shelves ... thus I'm intrigued to hear about theft of free food ...

In other words, looting is more than extremely rare in Canadian society - it verges on being non-existent, even under the most dire circumstances.  This is a fact documented in civilian Emergency Management literature and training.

bossi said:
The Toronto thing was after a particular sports event, when criminal elements took advantage of the throng to mask their activities - not the same as post-disaster looting ...

As for Op RECUPERATION (the Ice Storm):  Where and with what unit were you deployed?
2 CMBG?  31, 32 or 33 CBG?  Oh, wait - I forgot - you're just a cadet ...

There were very few instances of generator theft, and the OPP or the local community dealt with them.
Theft of food?  Please explain.
One of the major food chains was giving away free groceries, both as a charitable act and in order to avoid having perishables rot on their shelves ... thus I'm intrigued to hear about theft of free food ...

In other words, looting is more than extremely rare in Canadian society - it verges on being non-existent, even under the most dire circumstances.  This is a fact documented in civilian Emergency Management literature and training.

Actually, there were more then a "few" instances of generator theft.  My dad spent the ice storm keeping an eye on those generators and Bell had over 80 stolen from remote sites.  Thats a little more then a few in my opinion.

Although the video was funny in a twisted sort of way, (cops pushing around a shopping cart full of goodies claiming they were there to stop looters)  it clearly demonstrates the axiom that, in times of crisis, the true character of an individual surfaces. I hope that those scumbags who happen to be wearing the uniform of a police officer are prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.

"Oh, wait - I forgot - you're just a cadet ..."

Bossi, just because someone is a cadet does not necessarily mean that what they say has any less value or validity.  Like you, I expect that anyone who posts a particular claim should be able to support that claim with verifiable evidence, but it is "argumentum ad annuli"  (argument using one's ring, a version of appeal to authority) to say that someone's opinion or information is of less value because of who they are.  Perhaps 2332Piper should provide more information to back up his comment, but belittling a comment because someone is "...just a cadet..." is, in my opinion not sufficient as a response the comments made.

Methinks thou dost cutteth and pasteth too quickly ...

redleafjumper said:
...   Like you, I expect that anyone who posts a particular claim should be able to support that claim with verifiable evidence, ...  Perhaps 2332Piper should provide more information to back up his comment ...

Perhaps thou didst overlook my pointed question (or perhaps the significance was lost upon you):

bossi said:
As for Op RECUPERATION (the Ice Storm):  Where and with what unit were you deployed?
2 CMBG?  31, 32 or 33 CBG?  Oh, wait - I forgot - you're just a cadet ...

Actually no, Bossi, I reflected on your post for some time.   I was quite surprised at the question posed in your post as the question itself is not relevant to the statement made.   For example, someone who was not in those units, even a civilian, may have first hand knowledge of such happenings and thus be entitled to make a comment about them.   I am not saying that the comment made (regarding theft in the ice storm) was accurate or not - I have no way of knowing.   My concern is with the response to the comment that minimizes its value due to a factor which is apparently irrelevant.   The "just a cadet" crack reminded me of a meeting I was once in where one of the participants took to the not-so-subtle approach of banging his school ring on the table in a blatant attempt to intimidate the rest of us that his point of view was more valid than the rest of ours because of his educational background.  

I believe that it is responsible to call people on questionable posts, but it should not be appropriate to belittle their background.   It is a fair call to ask a question but it is not proper form to "appeal to authority" or use "false authority" (eg. "I was there so I know...") to make an argument as these are what are commonly referred to as logical fallacies.   It seemed to me that the comment made in response to what was a relatively innocuous post was unnecessarily harsh, and surprising to me given your otherwise very good posts in other threads.

So in response to your question, I neither cut and pasted too quickly, nor did I overlook your pointed question.   Fair enough?   :)

Back