• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Life in the navy

Career change said:
That's your best advice?....lol

What else do you want ?

You want to joint the Navy, you know what trade interests you and you have received various advice and information from people who are/have been in the Navy.

Am i missing something ?

Career change said:
I've been trying to decide between NCI OP and NES OP. But out of the two, I like the sounds of NCI OP.

I hope you see the problem here.

Too many people are looking forward to entering a Trade just because it sounds good/kool/etc.

Find out what they do first.  It may not be as kool as the name.

How Kool is Sanitary Engineer?  Tomorrow is Blue Box Day and I have to put out the garbage, Leaf Bags and Blue Box for them to collect.

I hope you are putting a little more thought into it than that..

Oh Well!  Back to our regularly scheduled programing.

Yes, I agree that just because something sounds "cool" does not mean it is, or is the right career choice. That's why in my original post I asked for more information/advice/opinions. I want to make sure I chose the right trade and don't waste my or any elses time. I've found this site to be a great source of advice so far and I hope to get more as I try and make me choice. So any help would be appreciated.

drunksubmrnr,
  You post garbage like that again what NESOPs and NCIOPs do again and you get a verbal and as garbage it has been deleted.

Milnet.Ca Staff.

Out of the two, I would say that NESOP is a little more exciting as the have more variety in their day to day at sea work. And in those two choises that is inportant.  At least they get to fire the big guns.

Here's what the recruiting web site says for NESOP:

What They Do     

Naval Electronic Sensor Operators (NES OPs) are responsible for the operation of all shipboard ELECTRONIC WARFARE and FIRE CONTROL equipment. You, as a member of the ship’s Combat Team, would be instrumental in detecting, locating and identifying both friendly and enemy ships, aircraft and submarines. You would also perform an integral element in engaging the enemy and defending your ship and those in consort with you. You will then be provided the opportunity to begin to supervise various occupational functions and may advance to supervisory positions where you will direct, guide and lead your Above Water Warfare Team in both offensive and defensive actions.

Specific duties of the NES OP include:

Operate highly advanced radar detection equipment to detect, locate and identify friendly and hostile radars at sea, in the air and those located along the coastlines

Operate radio detection and intercept equipment to analyze and disseminate various communications from other ships, aircraft, submarines and shore bases

Operate gun/missile-firing equipment, used in both defence and offensive operations of your ship against various threats such as ships, aircraft, missiles and shore based units. You as a NES OP are the integral component in the firing and controlling of the ship’s main weapon systems, all close-in weapon systems and the launching of anti-air and anti-surface missiles.

You will be tasked to conduct intelligence and evidence gathering using the equipment listed above as well as specialized photographic equipment. While performing these duties, NES OPs work with classified material and sometimes assist other governmental agencies such as the Department of Transportation, Department of Fisheries and Oceans or various Federal and Local law enforcement agencies.

http://www.forces.ca/v3/engraph/jobs/jobs.aspx?id=276&bhcp=1

Here's the list for NCIOP.

What They Do     

Naval Combat Information Operators (NCI OPs) are responsible for the operation of all shipboard surveillance radars and associated equipment of the Command Control Communications Computers Intelligence Surveillance and Recognizance systems, known as (C4ISR). As NCI OPs progress through the occupation they are given greater responsibility, for example, being accountable for the compilation of the tactical Air, Surface and Underwater pictures, which are provided to Command for tactical decisions. NCI Ops are highly versatile operators who are integral members of the Ship’s Combat Team.

As members of the ship’s Combat Information Organization, Naval Combat Information Operators assist and advise the ship’s Command in Navigation (Anti-Collision), Anti-Air Warfare (AAW), Anti-Surface Warfare (ASuW) and Anti-Submarine Warfare (ASW), utilizing data derived from passive and active systems during operational deployments, taskings and local area exercises

Configure and operate the Combat Control System (CCS), ships Radars, Identification Friend or Foe (IFF) Feature, C4I Systems, Multi data Links, Global Command and Control System, information processing systems, Shipborne Integrated Communication (SHINCOM) equipment and related sub-systems

Analyse equipment and system performance, conductivity and faults on all associated Combat Information (CI) equipment using Built-In, Integrated Test Equipment (BITE) and perform basic on-line fault diagnostic procedures

Collect, correlate, record, analyse, display, and disseminate all tactical information utilizing military databases, e-mail and intelligence in the Operations Room. This information is provided from local, national and international sources

Maintain classified logs and publications, including performing corrections, doing amendments, inserting and removing pages and page mustering corrected publications

http://www.forces.ca/v3/engraph/jobs/jobs.aspx?id=275&bhcp=1

Do you have questions about any of these things?

I've read the recruiting job description, and my questions tend to be about what those jobs are "really like." The level of work, responsibility and the "day-to-day" working life. I'm trying to get a better feel for what I could expect so I make the right choice for me.

I think it's almost impossible for someone to tell you which is going to be better, or more interesting.  Even with answering questions for you, you're not going to get a very good idea of what either job entails. 

I used to be  a NESOP, and there is an incredible amount of down time - especially alongside.  At sea, if you are involved in doing some exercises (Electronic Warfare or Fire Control) the work was great!  The problem is, you don't do them very often, and the rest of your time on watches is really quite boring.  Mind you, that's just my opinion, and what I find boring, you might find exciting. 

I would tend to think that 'overall' NCIOP is more exciting/interesting if you're someone who likes to be more mentally active, and more active in general.  Although they are scope dopes, there is almost always something to look at, track, monitor, etc.  That said, this too can be very boring, if the only thing you are tracking is a freighter in the middle of the ocean. 

Yes, the NESOP's could respond that they could do the same thing on CANEWS, and then do some PTA on the signal, but lets be honest, there is a reason that the maching is called the 'sucker of all that lives'.

At the end of it all, you're going to have to just get in to one of the jobs and see what you like for yourself, and not from what someone writes. 

NESOP's and NCIOP's have their good and bad days, good and bad people.  At the end of the day I think what most enjoy isn't necessarily the job itself (in broad terms), but the people they are working with, and the countries/travelling that you get to see and enjoy - not to mention the moose milk when you come alongside.  I know that when I look back, that's what I miss. 

Just my 2 cents, but if you have a specific question about something related to the NESOP branch, send me a PM.   

Both NES Op and NCI Op are similar in that they are both Naval Combat trades. They both stand watches in the operations room for up to 12 hours a day at sea. (Yes boys and girls, everything else is done in the other 12 hours)

NES OPs are responsible for controlling and firing Weapons and for Electronic Warfare, both detection and countermeasures. They also intelligence gathering and therefore spend many hours learning to identify other Naval vessels and all the weapons, radar and antennae systems and capabilities. At the PO1 level (WO for you Army types) they become a "Director" and stand opposite watches to an Officer with a SWC qualification. Each do the same job on watch in the Ops Room.

NCI Ops are responsible for gathering and maintaining the tactical and strategic picture. They operate search radars and monitor information from Global sources. They are in constant communication with accompanying units and provide tactical support to the Officer of the Watch. At the PO2 level (Sgt), their position in the Ops room is that of Ops Room Supervisor which means you run the Ops room including the NES Ops and Sonar Ops all in support of the Operations Officer. At the PO1 level you will become the Ships IMD (Information management Director) standing opposite watches to the IMD Officer

Along with the jobs described above, there all all the other jobs which require doing on board a ship. You must be able to clean/scrub, fight fires, paint ship, stand as an armed sentry for Force protection etc. You may be part of special parties such as Boarding Party, Ship's Diver etc. There are also the all ship's evolutions such as Jackstays/Replenishment at Sea where you will be a line handler. You will also be part of the upper deck parties for slipping and coming alongside. Oh did I mention duty watches alongside, while away from home, you will be duty on-board one day in four. at home, the watches are better and you are duty one day 15 (give or take a few).

Don't let the above discourage you. After 31 years in the Navy, I always maintain that if Canada had two navies, I would moonlight. It's pretty hard to describe these jobs in any detail in short post, but I hope the above gives a bit of an idea what is in sore for you for either of these jobs.

Back