• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Life After the Army Experiences

shooked1

Inactive
Reaction score
I have always thought about going in tho the  military (nothing in the civilian world really interest me)  but one of my biggest concerns is what for some reason i could no longer be in the military would i be at a dead end because i only have a highschool diploma ???

Who says when you get out that you will only have a HS diploma?

There are a wide array of opportunities in the CF that will enable you to improve your education or gain technical skills.

Just some food for thought. I would suggest going to a recruiting centre to learn more.

shooked1 said:
I have always thought about going in tho the  military (nothing in the civilian world really interest me)  but one of my biggest concerns is what for some reason i could no longer be in the military would i be at a dead end because i only have a highschool diploma ???

You're familiar with the fact that everybody in the army isn't an infanteer and everybody in the air force isn't a fighter pilot, right?

There are plenty of trades that the military trains people in. You decide which ones you're interested in, with criteria that can include things like how marketable your skills may be in civilian employment as well as how interesting you find the trade. The CF in turn lets you know which ones it's interested in letting you do.

Talk to folks, serving and released, about different trades you might be interested in.

Brasidas said:
You're familiar with the fact that everybody in the army isn't an infanteer and everybody in the air force isn't a fighter pilot, right?

Are you saying a fighter pilot cannot easily transfer his skills in the civy world?

SupersonicMax said:
Are you saying a fighter pilot cannot easily transfer his skills in the civy world?

I'm saying that not everyone in the military is combat arms, and that the military produces tradesmen.

I'm expecting even somebody who doesn't of think of non-infantry or armoured crewmen army trades will at least be smart enough to know that an ex-air force pilot is going to be able to find a job outside the military.

just curious.
for example, an infantry soldier (NCM) gets released after the set period of service, that applicant has only a high school diploma, so what kind of civilian career can that individual start right away? besides becoming a police officer. a well paid career.

Heres the link to the forces web site http://www.forces.ca/html/infantrysoldier_reg_en.aspx

At the bottom of the page it reads " RELATED CIVILIAN OCCUPATIONS
The Infantry Soldier occupation is uniquely military and has no civilian equivalent; however, the experience Infantry Soldiers gain in the use and maintenance of vehicles, communications equipment, weapons and tools of all types is highly applicable to many civilian jobs. More important, an experienced Infantry Soldier has the self-confidence, integrity, loyalty and trustworthiness that good employers want. Infantry leadership skills are also highly desirable to civilian employers."

After I left of the Australian Regular Army one year ago,  I went directly into a civilian engineering firm, was hired on as an armourer ( all was prearranged so I literally went from green to blue from a Friday to the Monday - there was a bit of culture shock), getting paid more then I was a soldier, and to add more cream, I went into the Reserve system here, getting tax free pay at $182.04 for 6 hrs work. Easy money. Reserves get 70 days per year with extensions to 100 days, and can get further extentions at 150 and up to 200 days if needed with the correct justification. Soo add that on, say at least at 70 days, plus tax free field pay, and all the other perks.

As a Defence Contractor, I am still in the military family, and get to do my job, working on M242 chain guns, .50 QCB and the rest of the catalogued family of small arms, I just go home at the end of the day, missing all the BS politics.

The Corps of RAEME has vehicle mechanics, electricians (from everthing like appliances to dental eqpt, armourers, recovery mechanics), to sum if it is an eqpt that needs repaired, RAEME fixes it. So there is plenty of opportunities in the civilain world for former RAEME pers, who are not only trained in their specific trade, but also have the basic soldier and leadership skills which are overly admired on the outside.  There are many other skills too which are civilian accredited, and well sought after like OHS, and management.

Soldiers are generally well disciplined, punctual and professional, and create a sharp image thru dress and bearing. 

So after some good TI, leaving at the rank of SGT (E7), there is plenty of prosperous opportunitiy for former soldiers not only in RAEME but other trades.

Regards,

OWDU

shooked1 said:

Here's a tip I used to give my soldiers:

"The first day of retirement planning is the last day of your QL3."

It makes no sense to wait 20 or 25 years and then lament that you only have a high school diploma. That being said, your military experience can carry a lot of weight, but we're in an era where education is often more important to employers.

In short, what I'm saying is that it's up to you to seek the academic upgrading you will require to enhance your retirement options. There's plenty of time to complete it... provided you start early.

OWDU
Does your company have any positions for a soon to be retired Canadian Forces person?
7 yrs EME Wpns Tech Land
6 yrs EME Fire Control Systems (now Electro/Optical)
7 yrs Aerospace Telecommunications Information Systems Tech
;)

EME cousin,

Your quals would indeed be in demand, but accreditation on an Australian standard thru ALTC in Bandiana Vic would be necessary, especially small arms, one needs the Aust FAMT course, even I had to do that when I first come over 15 yrs ago. BHP, Minimi, MAG 58, .50 are common, but Steyr is in a class of its own, hence the FAMT (Fitter Armament Maintenance Techniques) course, covers this along with other weapons including M203PI. You can get RPL on the other wpns such as the 84mm, and 81 mortar. M4/M16 FOW too

You would also need a visa to work here, and thatis not easy, very costly etc andf there may be restrictions too if you are over 40, best to check this out thru searching immigration on the net.

I must get bck to my Coors lite.

Cheers,

OWDU

You could get a job at AECL (atomic energy canada limited, nuclear reactor) near Petawawa... be one of the guys/gals in the gray suits walking around with guns :)

They get paid well, trust me!

Scan seminars are held a couple of times a year to help you transition from you getting out and your life beyond. You would be advised to sign up before you release.

SCAN is seriously flawed, and as currently constituted, a waste of effort. Here's my view...

SCAN should consist of at least three phases:

1. the young "soldier" who moves from BE to IE gets a seminar and gets introduced to the second career planning cycle. The sessions can include such things as skills and education upgrading, for example;

2. between 10 and 15 years service, a follow-up session is attended. This should allow for members to check their progress, and if necessary, get back on track while there's still time to do so; and

3. SCAN in a format similar to the current one that focuses on transition to civilian life.

I can't overstate my philosophy that retirement planning starts at the beginning of a career, not at the end.

that is the main reason i started this thread. I am thinking a about going in the miitary but I began to think hat if god fobid anything happened to mw what type of options would i have or would i just be at a dead end

Shooked, you're only at a dead end if you choose to be at a dead end. Any trade/career with any workplace is the same way.  For example, I'm a graphic designer by trade... I've worked in the private sector, public sector, education sector, and hope to at some point in the very near soon future, use these skills in the army somewhere. I've had these jobs over a period of 12 years and meanwhile, operated my own business at the same time. I imagine any trade you learn in the forces you can find some kind of application in out-of-army life... most of your success or failure will be determined by you... don't worry about it too much, so much can change in 1 year, five years, twenty years or thirty... don't be naive and stop thinking about it, just don't let it determine whether you join the forces or not. Maybe find another trade that you think would give you more likely opportunities in the future. But personally? I'd go with the trade that makes you happy now....  (just my opinion for what it's worth)

shooked1 said:
Like you, I wanted nothing else than being in the military, so I joined with only a high school diploma. I have never continued my education but that never stopped job offers from civilian companies. I have always turned them down and now I have retired after 32 years of regular force. I am still turning down job offers because now, I want nothing else than full retirement.  The bottom line is, ex-military people are desired in many civilian outfits because of the discipline (and other qualities gained from the CF) we have received in our training and that can't be found in non ex-military.

Hey there Rigger.  I see you were AVN.  Are you getting job offers in the same line of work?
    Heres a new question guys.  What trades in the military would you say is easiest to transfer over to Civillian DND jobs?  The one I see the most is MSE ops retiring and either going MDO drivers or CE groundskeepers.

What about RMS clerks?  Do they roll over into CR3,4,5 jobs easily? I suppose med lab types would be easily transferred.

Back