• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Liberal MP and cabinet minister Scott Brison not seeking re-election

Eye In The Sky

Army.ca Legend
Reaction score
Article Link

Longtime Nova Scotia MP Scott Brison says he won't run for re-election this year and is stepping down from cabinet.

Brison, who sits at the cabinet table as president of the Treasury Board of Canada, made the announcement online Thursday morning.

He first won the Kings—Hants seat in 1997 as a Progressive Conservative before crossing the floor in 2003.

More to come

Oldgateboatdriver said:
Getting set to take the fall for the Norman debacle?  :Tin-Foil-Hat:

Damn you beat me to it.

More on this CTV Article

Longtime MP Scott Brison is resigning from Prime Minister Justin Trudeau’s cabinet and will not be seeing re-election this fall.

Brison is currently President of the Treasury Board, and has been a member of the Liberal caucus since 2003 when he crossed the floor from the Progressive Conservatives.

He has informed Trudeau of his decision, and said he is working to ensure a smooth transition, as his departure will likely trigger a cabinet shuffle to fill his ministerial vacancy.

First elected in June 1997, Brison has represented his Kings-Hants, N.S. riding for 22 years, and now says he wants to spend more time with his family.

“They say life begins at 50, well I’m 51 and ready for new challenges,” Brison said in a video posted to social media.

Brison said it was a “great honour” to represent his community, but is now ready to leave federal politics. He said he is proud of what the government has accomplished under Trudeau.

In a tweet, Trudeau thanked Brison for being a “tireless champion for the people of Nova Scotia and for Canada.”

Brison and his husband Maxime Saint-Pierre are fathers to twin girls Rose and Claire, who are four years old.

Brison said he and his family took stock over the holidays and made the decision together, based on three main reasons: he’s served seven terms, was ready for a change, and wants to spend more time with his family.

“Canada is one of the truly rare places in the world where a life like ours is possible,” Brison said.

Oldgateboatdriver said:
Getting set to take the fall for the Norman debacle?  :Tin-Foil-Hat:

If we are hypnotising, you may not be that far off the mark.  He probably won't be painted in a good light.  Trudeau won't have to fire a minister just before an election campaign season.  I guess they are trying to get ahead of some uncomfortable questions.

Having Mike Duffy (and all of the PMO witnesses) in court during that debacle didn't help Stephen Harper in 2015.  my guess is that they want to try and avoid that scenario.

My tin-foil hat took me initially to the 'VCDS affair' as well, but then I thought that as President of the Treasury Board, he has insight into Canada's pension futures.... and he's hedging his bets elsewhere.    ;D

I can only say "Good". One less senior grit to deal with during the election. That works for the conservatives. I wonder how many more will jump ship before the election, or just wait around to see if they're voted out.

I have met Mr. Brison on a few occasions formal and informal.

I wish him the best. 

If he is involved/responsible for the "Norman Affair"  I hope he gets the justice he deserves.

Back