• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Liberal Minority Government 2021 - ????

Ugh. They’re both trying to damned hard to be such utter junk lately. It’s like each is trying to outshine the other in pushing the envelope on the garbage they already have bad reputations for.

From Jen Gerson in today’s Globe, probably behind a paywall. The dilapidation of 24 Sussex as a metaphor for the condition of the Canadian state. Sorry for the bad formatting.

Do we really need 24 Sussex?
The PM has the Rideau Cottage and Harrington Lake.
The GG has Rideau Hall
Stornoway for the Official Opposition. Do we need that still?
The Farm for the Speaker of the House
I thought the Chief Justice of the Supreme Court had a residence as well?

The PM should have a suitable working home that reflects his station in society, but it doesn’t need to be a grand palace like the White House.
The White House though is far more than just a grand palace. It is basically a residence. A working office for the administration and all support staff. It is also the ceremonial/protocol place that the GGs residence in Canada currently does. The White House fills many more roles that fits the US model.

I agree that we do not necessarily need that sort of model. In my mind the PMs residence should be reflective of of role yes, with a capacity to host people of equal station but also provide the permanent security bubble the PM requires.

Do we really need 24 Sussex?
The PM has the Rideau Cottage and Harrington Lake.
The GG has Rideau Hall
Stornoway for the Official Opposition. Do we need that still?
The Farm for the Speaker of the House
I thought the Chief Justice of the Supreme Court had a residence as well?

Neither Rideau Cottage nor Harrington Lake is a proper residence for a head of government for a G7 country. One is an afterthought on someone else’s official grounds, the other is a beat up old country house. 24 should be properly restored and modernized, and it should be done without partisan bullshit attaching itself to the process.

We should have a dorm in which the GG, PM, and Leader of the Opposition reside together. Separate bedrooms, shared common use areas. Promote unity in the compassionate Canadian way of coming together as a community.

We should have a dorm in which the GG, PM, and Leader of the Opposition reside together. Separate bedrooms, shared common use areas. Promote unity in the compassionate Canadian way of coming together as a community.
Just send them all to live in the Big Brother house.

What we should do is disassemble, not demolish 24 Sussex, and rebuild it using as much of the original material as possible. The cost may be more than a new build, but that's a price we should pay.

Disagree. Sometimes we need to put health, safety and modernization first. As Ren said in the Last Jedi. "It's time to let old things die."

Ugh. They’re both trying to damned hard to be such utter junk lately. It’s like each is trying to outshine the other in pushing the envelope on the garbage they already have bad reputations for.

Yeah I know, right? I just can't believe all of those scandals, mismanagement and ethical lapses PP has done. I mean I can't decide which is the icing on the cake; knowingly hiding CCP election interference because it benefits your party, or the unaccounted for billions of dollars?

Yeah I know, right? I just can't believe all of those scandals, mismanagement and ethical lapses PP has done. I mean I can't decide which is the icing on the cake; knowingly hiding CCP election interference because it benefits your party, or the unaccounted for billions of dollars?
Both suck, both are wholly impressive in what they’re doing or saying they would do, neither has convinced me they’re worthy of me supporting their party or, in PP’s case, his individual candidacy in the next election.

This is the most disillusioned I’ve ever been with both the LPC and the CPC. Normally I can see one option that clearly sucks less. At present I cannot because both are so unimpressive that the relative difference on one issue or another is not enough to matter to me.

Both suck, both are wholly impressive in what they’re doing or saying they would do, neither has convinced me they’re worthy of me supporting their party or, in PP’s case, his individual candidacy in the next election.

This is the most disillusioned I’ve ever been with both the LPC and the CPC. Normally I can see one option that clearly sucks less. At present I cannot because both are so unimpressive that the relative difference on one issue or another is not enough to matter to me.

It's crystal clear what Trudeau's faults are. What is on your list of comparative faults for PP?

Maybe this is something for Political Fantasy Island. Come election time, if I had a choice in the matter Trudeau’s party would go down to a humiliating defeat with JT giving into pressure and resigning. I’m not a PP fan but in my scenario he would not quite have a majority government but would have to get support from some other party to survive. Hopefully it would help temper some of his more hard-core inclinations, which I’m still not sure are his true beliefs or he’s catering to some of the more fringe elements to get elected. If he goes way too far to the right he risks getting defeated. Basically, a slightly right-of-centre government is what I feel the country needs most right now and that the LPC party has taken the country much too far to the left. I say, let the electorate knock the stuffing out of the LPC and force them to re-think their existence and what the country really needs. I know, I know…wishful thinking.

It should be possible to elect a government that is as emphatically conservative as the current government is emphatically progressive. "Protecting the most recent progressive legislation" isn't conservativism. It's obvious that we are living beyond our means and some things need to be struck off.

Oh, Rona , Rona! Where art thee?

Neither Rideau Cottage nor Harrington Lake is a proper residence for a head of government for a G7 country. One is an afterthought on someone else’s official grounds, the other is a beat up old country house. 24 should be properly restored and modernized, and it should be done without partisan bullshit attaching itself to the process.
You may be right. I find myself unable to judge what is necessary,suitable, or required for the PM

Harrington Lake

In addition to the 16 room main cottage with its view over the lake, the Harrington estate includes the following structures:
  • staff cottage
  • upper guest cottage
  • lower guest cottage
  • boat house and paddleboat dock
  • long dock (located the northeast of the retreat)

"Since 2018, the NCC has invested $8.7 million in the rehabilitation of the property. This work, completed in June 2021, improved the overall condition of the property, improving the condition of the farmhouse from critical to good, and the main cottage, from critical to fair."

Rideau Cottage

Is a 10,000 sqft, 22 room building last renovated in 2013(?)

Rideau Hall itself contains about 175 rooms, covering about 8,825 square metres (95,000 square feet).
Rideau Hall is in fair condition, and needs over $100 million in work. Specifically, the main residence needs $31 million in maintenance.

My view is that if the Tories kept O’Toole, the next election would be the Tories’ to lose. Tru-Anon would be disillusioned and stay home, NDP’ers will vote NDP and swing voters would give the Tories a chance. The only question would be how big the Tory majority would be.

With PP, he can’t seem to help himself but run for Opposition Leader. He keeps talking about how he’s running for prime minister but he’s not acting like it. He’ll have a few weeks where he talks about affordability and inflation, but just when people start to warm up to him, he has to go full culture war. That may juice up the support among his most ardent supporters, but it also galvanizes the anti-Tories.

So now I’m betting that Tru-Anon and other softer Liberals will crawl over broken glass to vote, and NDP’ers will hold their noses again and vote for Trudeau. Swing voters will say “a pox on all your houses” and stay home. Unless PP smartens up and decides he wants to be PM instead.

Back