• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Letters from Canada while on tour

SHELLDRAKE!!

Inactive
Reaction score
This is directed to those going on their first overseas tour as well as those who continue to serve overseas.

At some point you will receive one if not a stack of letters adressed to "A Canadian Soldier" during your time overseas. On my first tour I remember joking around with the boys about writing back to one of these fellow Canadians. Mostly they come from students as a school project and luckily I decided to write back to one particular girl who was in grade three.

To someone at that age receiving mail back from a soldier is like winning the lottery. I ended up on my second tour and realized I still had her adresse and sure enough she wrote back telling me all about what has happened over the years. It was like having an adopted daughter.

Every tour since I have gladly sent off replies to dozens of letters from all over Canada. For every letter I feel maybee some little kid in some remote town is starting to understand we soldiers are "human" just like them and willing to share what happened in our day half a world away.

So since postage is free and god knows you've got a ton of time on your hands anyway, take a minute to put a smile on someones face. :cdn:

I second Shelldrake's recommendation. When I was in Afgh I received a Christmas letter with pictures done by kids from a school in a small town in the interior of BC. It was adressed to "a Canadian Soldier". It was impressive to read the feelings expressed in the letters, and to see the work the kids had put into their cards. I hunted down the school through the BC Board of Education's website, and finally got an e-mail through to the teacher and her class. The reaction was as Shelldrake describes.

If the teachers and children of Canada take the time to write to us, I think we can take a few minutes to write or e-mail them back. We spend alot of time on this site complaining that nobody loves us and that we have no public image; well, here is a simple way to work on both of those things.

Cheers.

What is the address for "a Canadian Soldier"?

My sister-in -law is a Grade 3 teacher, I made a presentation to their class and they would probably come up with some really neat letters.
It's good to let the young know you are human before some "Long hair, Drug Smoking Panzy" influences them without the true facts. :salute:

Write to the Troops:

http://www.forces.gc.ca/site/Community/Messageboard/index_e.asp

I did the same on Roto 13...I'll do it again on this one.

I had the same reaction from the kids in Sussex NB. as SHELLDRAKE had.

Besides....it helps to pass the time and take the mind off of the crap hole you're living inĀ  ;D

Regards

Back