• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Lebanon (Superthread)

How hard is it to pilot a UAV into a ship during daylight that is most likely not at its top cruising speed?

Shouldn't the ship be able to defend from a UAV coming in towards it since they most definately know it is hostile?

It would be interesting to know more details about what happened. But I doubt that will happen, certainly not as long as the violence and tension remain as they are.

It is concerning that Hezbolla was able to damage the ship, but, apparently, they only have 7 or 8 of the drones.

But that is history, and is not the topic of discussion here. From what it looks like, the radar should have picked up the drone, but I don't see no small gun mount, like a  Oerlikon autocannon or even a machine gun mount. I see that the specs state that the CIWS and the 3" gun are interchangeable, and cannot be carried at the same time. Perhaps the Israelis are now rethinking the problem (lack of a close in defense system when the 3" gun is fitted) this attack has shown

Have you Armymatters ever used a radar? If you had then you would know that picking a small target like a UAV is no guarantee. Stay in you lane!. Also the SAAR 5 class corvette is also fitted with Barak 1 SAMs and 25mm Sea Vulcans in addition to the interchangeable mounting of the 76mm/57mm and the Vulcan 20mm.

PM inbound!

The Israelis think the corvette was hit by an Iranian/Chinese C-802 Silkworm missile. The missile is very difficult to jam and the Barak system either didnt pick it up or missed it. The Israeli Navy is very vulnerable to this missile and may have to adjust their tactics.

1184.jpg

I'm calling BS on the C-802 claim.  As I recall, it is something like the size of Mig-17, requires extensive shore battery equipment and has a 1000lb warhead.  If the SAAR corvette took a hit from something that big, there would be nothing but a smoking hole in the water. 

Just my (semi) educated opinion.

Two missiles were launched at the Ahi Hanit one was aimed for a strike amidships  with a top down attack.The missile missed and exploded in the water. The second was rigged to skim the water and hit the helicopter deck.The explosion caused the ship to begin to burn the crew is credited with heroic damage control efforts which kept the ship from sinking.

I think the weapon is misnamed. The 802 is an upgraded 801 which is an exocet copy with a turbojet. If a silkworm had hit the corvette it would have sunk.

Two missiles were launched at the Ahi Hanit one was aimed for a strike amidships  with a top down attack.The missile missed and exploded in the water. The second was rigged to skim the water and hit the helicopter deck.The explosion caused the ship to begin to burn the crew is credited with heroic damage control efforts which kept the ship from sinking.

Very interesting... can you point me to a URL to do some reading of my own?  A top attack missile is not something one whips up in their basement.  If this is true, some government is directly arming Hezbollah...again in my semi educated humble opinion only...

tomahawk6 said:
I think the weapon is misnamed. The 802 is an upgraded 801 which is an exocet copy with a turbojet. If a silkworm had hit the corvette it would have sunk.

I've gotten lost here. Was it confirmed that it was a missile (801-2 ? ) or was it a UAV that was crashed into the ship?
Question (with blank stare), how big of a UAV would be needed to damage that size of ship? Out of my lane, but that ship looks like it could take a lot of punishment and keep on  ticking.

It would depend on where they hit the ship and how much explosives were packed into the UAV. Another factor to consider would be what damage control consition the ship was in (for example how much of her water tight bulkheads were shut). Personally I have never exercised with the Israeli's so am not sure if they are lax in this or not.

Was that the ship that was in fact struck??

The coverage on television yesterday showed that the vessel just of the coast of Beirut which had been bombarding the Hezbollah offices  was a different class altogether.

It has an odd cofiguration with a phalanx close in system on the bow and a large 76mm Oto Melara cannon (as on our destroyers) on the stern. The stern cannon was the weapon being used to bombard the Hezbollah positions.

It looked like this vessel:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saar_4.5_class_missile_boat

Yes but the media has identified APCs as tanks in the past so I don't expect them to realized the difference between the SAAR 4.5 and the SAAR 5. If they release the name of the ship, then the class identity is easy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saar_5_class_missile_boat

Geez Wilkpedia is fast. hull number#503 Hanit was the ship apparently hit by a UAV.

Yes it looks like it was the Hanit.

CNN was making it look like the images they were showing were in fact the very ship that had been struck.

CanadaPhil said:
Was that the ship that was in fact struck??
It has an odd cofiguration with a phalanx close in system on the bow and a large 76mm Oto Melara cannon (as on our destroyers) on the stern. The stern cannon was the weapon being used to bombard the Hezbollah positions.

In Wikipedia I think it's the second line is
designed based on lessons learnt from the Sa'ar 4.5 class ships.

That was probably the second and LAST line the reporter read.

Current buzz is that it was a Iranian Revolutionary Gurad unit using the missles...

Sorry no link  ;)

SeaKingTacco said:
Very interesting... can you point me to a URL to do some reading of my own?  A top attack missile is not something one whips up in their basement.  If this is true, some government is directly arming Hezbollah...again in my semi educated humble opinion only...

Well I was going to post something but I was having problems with the hyperlinks and in the mean time I was beaten to the punch  ;D The Jerusalem Post is saying that the Iranians are involved and that Hezbollah (with Iranian) helped used an anti-ship missile it hit the Israeli ship. JP is saying that the ship hit was about 10 years old and the newest ship in the Israeli navy. Checking out Globalsecurity would indicate that the Sa'ar 5 as being the best candidate. Some speculation is that the C-802 as the missile used, however, this a big missile over 21 feet in length. A better candidate would be the C-701 (Iranian designation Kosar) since its a lot smaller (slightly over eight feet. This link http://www.softwar.net/c801.html has info on the two missiles, which are both of Chinese manufacture.

Infidel-6 said:
Current buzz is that it was a Iranian Revolutionary Gurad unit using the missles...
Sorry no link  ;)

Iranian troops helped Hezbollah attack warship:Israeli intelligence
Associated Press - Globe & Mail
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20060715.wisraeliship0715/BNStory/Front

JERUSALEM — A missile fired by Hezbollah, not an unmanned drone laden with explosives, damaged an Israeli warship off Lebanon, the army said Saturday. Elite Iranian troops helped fire the missile, a senior Israeli intelligence official said.

One sailor was killed and three were missing.

The intelligence official, who spoke on condition of anonymity because of the sensitive nature of the information, said about 100 Iranian soldiers are in Lebanon and helped fire the Iranian-made, radar-guided C-102 at the ship late Friday.

The official added that the troops involved in firing the missile are from the Iranian Revolutionary Guard, an elite corps of more than 200,000 fighters that is independent of the regular armed forces and controlled directly by supreme leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei.

Initial information indicated the guerrillas had used a drone for the first time to attack Israeli forces. But the army's investigation showed that Hezbollah had fired an Iranian-made missile at the vessel from the shores of Lebanon, said Brig. Gen. Ido Nehushtan.
More on link

Back