• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Leave Policy – Annual (time off, after hours, ect...) [Merged]

For us Annual is in addition to weekend and stat holidays. Some units only allow you to take leave during whats called Block Leave and you taking leave is always dependant on operational commitments. BTW unless you have a good reason you can no longer save your leave and let it accumulate like we could at one time.

BTW its for the first 5 yrs service...

Basically, you can apply for annual leave anytime, but more often then not, you'll be told when to take it. Most Summer blocks are 10 - 15 annual days long, Christmas usually 6-9 annual days, remainder taken during March, but all must be gone by 31 Mar of any given fiscal yr.

We also may get 2 days short leave a month upon with unit CO approval. For the couple days here/there, thats what its for (good for taking family to appts etc).

This is in addition to weekends, stat holidays and shift days off, if your not on duty.

What about sick days? or would that fall under the 2 days short leave Armymedic mentioned?

Sick Leave is a category of its own and can only be authorized by a MO, Dentist etc.

As a reservist, make sure that they do an audit of your leave entitlements when they do your pay audit on transfer as your service will bring the date you are entitled to 25 days closer.

You don't get sick days per se, in that you can't just call in and say you're not going to be there because you're sick. If you're going to miss work for medical reasons, you better have a chit from the MIR. If the MIR deems that you need 3 days off sick leave, then you get that with no effect towards your short leave for the month (if authorized) or annual leave for the year. I'm getting my wisdom teeth out in Apr, I get the Wed off for the operation, Thurs and Fri for sick leave and I show up Mon morn at the MIR to get ungrounded for flying duties. If I need more time off, they'll give it to me then.

There's lots of other reasons for leave, there's compasionate leave so you can travel to a funeral, there's special leave which falls into many categories such as relocation leave prior to or after a posting, and there's a few other cases, all at the discretion of the CO.

20 days (working days that is) for starters, then 25 days once you start your 5th consecutive year of service and then 30 days once you start your 28th year of service.  Time off is at the descretion of your supervisor and subject to op committments.  So you just can come into work Friday morning and tell your supr you are taking next week off.  Every unit has a different policy for administering leave.  Same for the sick leave.  Where I used to work, I could just pick up the phone and call in sick for up to 48 hours consecutive, after that I "had" to go to the MIR if I wanted more time.  Could it be abused, sure, but was it, NO.  People are generally pretty responsible in areas such as this.

CFAO 16-1 will give you all the info you need.

DAA said:
20 days (working days that is) for starters, then 25 days once you start your 5th consecutive year of service

Actually, it's the end of the 5th year, not the start, I just got my extra 5 days this past June. I enrolled in June 1999, the end of my 5th year was June 2004.

scm77 said:
What about sick days? or would that fall under the 2 days short leave Armymedic mentioned?

There are no "sick days" by the civilian definition. By CO direction, your chain of command may allow you to not come to work due to illness or injury but that is not an official CF policy. More like something along the lines of giving days off for doing extra work or as a reward.

If you are ill or injured the medical staff can give you medical restrictions that may include excused duties or sick in quarters which allow you to leave your workplace to be not well elsewhere. Generally, if you are to be away for more then 3 days, sick leave is given. Sick leave can only be recommended by an MO, and be on sick leave by the MO for up to 30 days. With Area Surg approval you may be on sick leave for up to 180 days, but that is very unusual. BTW if you're admitted to a hosp, that is considered to be on duty (not on leave) for regular force pers.

Opps, I stand (actually sit) corrected.  Thanks for pointing me straight on that Inch.

I did a search but came up with nothing.  Does anybody know where I can find detailed information about time off in the forces (i.e. block leave and long weekends).  Or if someone can just tell me would be good.  I know there is summer block leave and leave for christmas but how long are they in duration.

Thanks in advance,
Joe

Units may grant block leave (everyone takes the same 2-3 weeks off) in the summer, or individual leave periods may be spread out over the sumer to ensure that the unit's operations carry on, i.e., not every unit can just shut down for three weeks. 

At Christmas, there will normally be a three week period (subject, of course to unit requirements) that you can take off, supplementiing the statutory holidays and special and short leave with your own annual leave days. To complete the first two weeks usually takes 2-3 annual days, the third week might be all annual leave days.

The CF recognizes statutory holidays in accordance with CFAO 16-1 LEAVE, Annex B (See extract below). If you are on duty for any of these days, you get a day off in lieu later (although this doesn't apply to Nov 11, since you only 'work' a few hours).

See CFAO 16-1 LEAVE

http://www.admfincs.forces.gc.ca/admfincs/subjects/cfao/016-01_e.asp

49.    Subject to  QR&O 16.14, Annual Leave, and except as provided in paragraphs 50 to 54 below, annual leave entitlements are:

a.  20 working days for a member of the Regular Force with less than five years' of service in the Regular Force; or

b.  25 working days for a member of the Regular Force who has accumulated a minimum of five years of service in the Regular Force regardless of the amount of non-paid service granted or imposed from the date of enrolment.

51.    In the leave year during which a member of the Regular Force is enrolled in, re-enrolled in, or transferred to the Regular Force, calculation of the annual leave entitlement commences with the first full calendar month of paid service in the Regular Force.  In respect of the first leave year, a member is entitled to two working days for each calendar month of paid service that is completed during that leave year, to  a maximum of:

a.  24 working days if he has five or more years of qualifying service pursuant to paragraph 50; or

b.  20 working days in all other cases.

SPECIAL LEAVE - CHRISTMAS AND NEW YEAR'S

115. A CO may grant two working days special leave to a member in conjunction with either the Christmas/Boxing Day or New Year's holiday period as specified in Annex B. Annual and accumulated leave may be granted in any combination with this special leave.

116. A member of the Jewish, Greek Orthodox, Greek Catholic or any other religious faith who does not take special leave in conjunction with the designated holidays or compensatory time off at Christmas or New Year's may be granted the equivalent two days for the purpose of observing comparable holy days appropriate to his faith.

117. This special leave (Christmas and New Year's) shall not be granted in conjunction with retirement leave.

ANNEX A -- HOLIDAYS

-- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -
/ Serial /                      Designated and Other Holidays                      /
-- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -
/    1  / New Year's Day (1 Jan)(see Note 1).                                      /
/    2  / Good Friday.                                                            /
/    3  / Easter Monday.                                                          /
/    4  / Victoria Day/Queen's Birthday (the Monday immediately preceding 24 May). /
/    5  / Dominion Day (1 Jul)(see Note 1).                                        /
/    6  / Labour Day (first Monday in September).                                  /
/    7  / Thanksgiving Day (second Monday in October).                            /
/    8  / Remembrance Day (11 Nov)(see Note 1).                                    /
/    9  / Christmas Day (25 Dec)(see Note 2).                                      /
/  10  / Boxing Day (26 Dec)(see Note 2).                                        /
/  11  / Any day appointed by proclamation by the Governor in Council to be      /
/        / observed as a fast, thanksgiving or holiday.  These holidays will be    /
/        / granted on the authority of the officer commanding the command.          /
/  12  / One provincial or local civic holiday may be observed at the discretion  /
/        / of the officer commanding the command.                                  /
Notes -1.    When 1 Jan, 1 Jul or 11 Nov falls on a Saturday or Sunday, the following
              Monday will be taken as the designated holiday.
        2.    When Christmas Day falls on a Saturday or Sunday the following Monday
              and Tuesday will be taken as the designated Christmas/Boxing day holidays.
        3.    Serials 1 to 10 are designated holidays.
        4.    Outside Canada, an officer with the powers of an Officer Commanding a Command may
              alter the days to be observed as designated holidays to conform with local custom.

Issued 1988-11-25

Just wondering how I go about figuring out how many leave days I have left. I enrolled September 19, 2005 and I've heard you get 2 days a month for every month of service you've completed. So this would mean that I would have started with 10 leave days and I used 6 of them over X-Mas. So I figure I have 4 days left. I talked to my Sgt. and he found out that I do in fact have 4 days left. But this is my question. Some of my buddies who enrolled the same day as me and took the exact same amount of leave as me at X-Mas have 6 days and a couple even have 10 days leave. Who do I talk to to get this straightened out?

Bradboy said:
  Just wondering how I go about figuring out how many leave days I have left. I enrolled September 19, 2005 and I've heard you get 2 days a month for every month of service you've completed. So this would mean that I would have started with 10 leave days and I used 6 of them over X-Mas. So I figure I have 4 days left. I talked to my Sgt. and he found out that I do in fact have 4 days left. But this is my question. Some of my buddies who enrolled the same day as me and took the exact same amount of leave as me at X-Mas have 6 days and a couple even have 10 days leave. Who do I talk to to get this straightened out?

Your oderly room would be a great place to start....since they hold your leave records

If your days are correct why would you take a chance on screwing your buddies out of thier [maybe] "buckshee" days?

I wouldn't be screwing my buddies out of their leave. I'm thinking that maybe I'm getting screwed out of some leave. And I did check with my orderly room they were the ones that told me I have 4 days of annual leave but they told my buddy he's got 10 days. So should I go back to the orderly room and ask them about it? Or will they just tell me to fuck off?

No, they might screw up everybody else's... and yours..just get a copy of all of your Leave records and ask your supervisor to help you.

...and if you ask them why your "buddy" has 10 days left and they respond with a pen stroke and say " Well, he doesn't now"...just how do you think he will feel?
If you had 10 and took 6 and have 4 left then you are good to go, leave it at that.

The Christmas/NY holiday period is at times one of the most perplexing and sometimes unfair leave policy in place.  Many units shut down for block leave, leaving just the duty personnel for emergencies.  In addition to the special leave granted, many CO's will also grant short leave.  This often results in the disparity of how many ann lve days are used.  If you are not in the same unit with your buddies, bradboy, despite the same enrolment day, they may have been granted the extra short leave days by their CO.

Another reason for the difference is the time calculated.  It is true you get two days leave for each month served, but the leave year is determined from 01 Apr - 31 Mar.  With an enrolment date in Sep, that would give an entitlement of 14 days  (7 months x 2 days per month = 14) for the 05/06 leave year.  It may be that the leave pass for the individuals who have 10 days left have reflected the amount left to the end of the leave year. 

Finally, it seems strange to me that there were so many of you, presumably from across Canada, all enrolled on the exact same day (19 Sep).  If someone was enrolled in August it is possible that they would have two days more than yourself and then the difference in days left.

Back