• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Least appealing Aspects of Infantry

.... and in 1991 General John de Chastelain was vising us in the field firing range and, as we had one of the few female infantry privates at the time, she had to go through the jungle lane 20 times in the pissing down sleet/rain while waiting 2 hours for his arrival so he could watch her go through once. He never did turn up. Apart from having to caseveac her with mild hypothermia , she turned out to be great at snap shooting...

or having to listen to same said Gen de Chastelaine go thru a solo recital of favorite highland pipe tunes.....

Journeyman said:
Having to deal with the not-so-subtle jealousy of the non-infantry types, which goes all the way up the chain of command.

If you can believe it, some have even gone to the bizarre lengths of stealing infantry weapons systems (mortars) and capabilities (pioneers), in the hopes of tricking people into believing they were infantry. In one non-infantry regiment, they tried this by taking the anti-armour weapons (TOW), which proved too difficult for them to operate. It worked to their benefit though - - by raising their hopes of getting some of the cast-off groupies by hanging out with real infantry soldiers.

Although it's actually quite sad, the reality is not everyone has the upper-body strength, cardio fitness, and rugged good looks to be infantry.  ;D

journeyman....

I have lots of respect for all trades, but specially the combat arms, you remind me of some one i know ignorant and un-informed, so i will help your 10th grade education and educate you.  Everyone in our army has got a job to do, and they all do it to there best abilities.  And NO don't confuse yourself with the thought that engineers want to be infanteers,, because they are extremely happy doing the task they are called upon to do.. which are obstacle breaching to include FIBUA IED and EOD disposal, bridging,diving, heavy equipment, armour engineers, building defences including camps,, and pretty much every other dogs job that is required to do. But their is one aspect that rubs you raw and its a decision that was made by much more educated people then you from experiences in the present war and past wars, and thats that the engineers secondary dutie is to fight as infantry WHEN REQUIRED, it is in the job description! look it up no other trade has that distinction so they train as infantry because they have to. You cannot properly support the infantry if you cannot move like them and know their tactics, you become a liability, and you cannot leave them behind and wait to call them forward which is what your prob thinking, cause you might not have that chance, so NO they are not trying to be infanteers,, just engineers dude just engineers!!, and as for the pioneers that is a whole different ball of wax but truth be told, there is a role for them, the problem was that from my experience they tried to do more then they were trained for, much the same way you think about the engineers but the only difference being that they do not do that task for a career, only a few years and there is no way that they can get competent at what they do having a compressed course, then spending a few years in the platoon with no real life experience, plus look it up in history the pioneers originated from the engineers. I deployed alot before getting out and trust me no engineers i know Wants to be an infanteer, and as for fitness dude pound for pound we hold our own,,just ask 2 CER and the iron man competition and 1 CER with the strong contender remember,, so just have a little respect for other people who are willing to die for this country, and dont be so narrow minded. And there are construction engineers that are predominately fat that were the cap badge to, like you prob already know having the name of journeyman, admit it you re mustered. It's ok cause they have a very important job to do as well.

[Edit to help newbie not tie up too much Bandwidth with double posts]

Just to bring something to light here that may have been overlooked....exsapper.

His post was over 8 months old, your post was riddled with spelling errors and yet you try to nail him with "10th grade education".

I suggest you sit back and relax a bit, before you blow a gasket.

Read the threads and get used to how the members post. Most are in jest at other trades.

My 0.02 donkey dollars worth.

Regards

For future reference:

main.php

I didn't realize there was a sarcasm meter. I only knew about my favorte, the suck-o-meter. (see below) Thanks for sharing that, Shamrock.

HAHA BS meter. I know several occasions that the entire thing would of exploded ;D

:cheers:

7 - 10 days said:
C Coy, 2 PPCLI use to have a "Purple Jesus"  Consisted of anything and everything you could find  as long as it was purple and drank out of the purple Jesus helmet.  very few have felt its wrath and not "bowed down"

In 3 PPCLI we drank ours out of an old bathtub we rented from a junkyard. Yum

Teflon said:
In Afghanistan - at the Gonebad Pl House and FOB Martello we disposed of it by burning every day and although our troops (infantry) did it most days, every trade there had a turn to burn there fair share.  What else are you going to do with it if you are in a static location without septic,.... handing it out as humanitartion aid would certainly cause problems!!!

The burning of the poo,... a timeless army tradition!

To illustrate ... here is a video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_iDHkKzRy7M

Enjoy!

P.S. -- Whats the name of the song and whats the bands name at the start?

The band is the Dropkick Murphys and the song is called "Barroom Hero". Its on their 1998 CD "Do or Die".  Hopefully this isnt too off topic.

Back