• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Least appealing Aspects of Infantry

I can't believe nobody recalls "Burning Poo" as a least desirable infantry task.  In  a single day in April I burned 200 litres of poo in four cut down oil drums using no less than 100 litres of diesel.  Poo must be stirred constantly or you will just burn off the diesel on top.  It also helps if you dig a little hole under the barrels and have a fire boiling the poo stew from underneath.  This is a full 8hr day job.  I will shortly be printing a manual through queens printers.  Perhaps this requires a whole thread? :D

:rofl:

imagine the aftermarket kit people will buy for that job............

Jay4th said:
I can't believe nobody recalls "Burning Poo" as a least desirable infantry task.  In  a single day in April I burned 200 litres of poo in four cut down oil drums using no less than 100 litres of diesel.   Poo must be stirred constantly or you will just burn off the diesel on top.  It also helps if you dig a little hole under the barrels and have a fire boiling the poo stew from underneath.  This is a full 8hr day job.  I will shortly be printing a manual through queens printers.  Perhaps this requires a whole thread? :D

FRig me,

Almost forgot that!!

Hey Pat,

You musts done that overseas..

Benny, Remember that in '94??  I had many a day at Siera Charlie 44 doing the burning turd duty on Mount Petrim....

dileas

tess

That was at a FOB in Helmand province mid-april 2006, but it was also done at the platoon house in Gonbad.  In Gonbad we burned it daily so there was never a "stockpile".

I bet they never put those pictures in a recruiting pamphlet. I have some pictures in my album of one of the burn-outs in our AA in Saudi burning down in 90. The wind blew the flames onto the the plywood because the rocket scientists on the detail didn't pull the barrels far enough away from the shitter. Instead of a burn-out, it was a burn-down. As a matter of fact, it was the most exciting event in November besides Thanksgiving.

Oh ya.....if you're jumping square chutes or burning crap, you never forget to confirm the wind direction - - after you've screwed it up once.  :crybaby:

(NBC guys usually aren't around to screw up a second time  ;) )

Okay, here it is fellas: The great s***ter burn-down of 90. We had to do this wearing helmets, flak jackets and web gear. I don't remember exactly who had the dirty detail the morning this happened, but it must've been the bn maint section. I guess it ain't like the oldddd days anymore.

Hmmm..............

Imagine trying to put a match to the "emerald pond" at KAF right now :)

7 - 10 days said:
C Coy, 2 PPCLI use to have a "Purple Jesus"  Consisted of anything and everything you could find  as long as it was purple and drank out of the purple Jesus helmet.  very few have felt its wrath and not "bowed down"

We served a Purple Jesus punch out of a bathtub we borrowed from a junkyard one night at a "Freakers Ball" party in the 3 PPCLI Offrs Mess ca. 1982. Yes, grisly stuff. Even better was watching Lt (now Colonel)  S  dancing with Mrs W the CO's wife while he was in a strait jacket borrowed from the Victoria Police.

We used to burn poo and all sorts of other crap on Navy ships as well, and what did not burn, we tossed overboard once at sea. You could not dump crap except in Esquimalt Harbour-eeyew and they wanted me to go on a diving course??????

Jay4th said:
I can't believe nobody recalls "Burning Poo" as a least desirable infantry task.  In  a single day in April I burned 200 litres of poo in four cut down oil drums using no less than 100 litres of diesel.   Poo must be stirred constantly or you will just burn off the diesel on top.  It also helps if you dig a little hole under the barrels and have a fire boiling the poo stew from underneath.  This is a full 8hr day job.  I will shortly be printing a manual through queens printers.  Perhaps this requires a whole thread? :D

To use a really bad pun, 'are you ******** me?' I didnt know we still did this!

Do you mind if I ask where this was, and why it was being burnt? (I can make a guess, but the truth would be more interesting).

Edit - never mind, saw the answer, thanks anyway!

During the interview I said that Lack of sleep and dress drill (parade?) was the least appealing aspects. When the interviewer asked me if there was anything else and I replied no the next couple of minutes went like this.

Interviewer: "What about danger?"
Me: "Danger?"
Interviewer: "Yeah isn't the job dangerous?"
Me: "Yeah, I suppose"
Interviewer: "Wouldn't that be a drawback?"
Me: "All you have to do is mention that it's going to be dangerous and I'm game"
Interviewer: "Well, you don't want to be reckless"
Me: "Reckless no, but it's not really fun if it's not dangerous"

The interviewer was Navy. Though to be fair he earned his paratrooper wings when he was a reservist with the QOR (I asked him) (In fact I asked a lot of questions that had nothing to do with the interview ie. "What are those coloured bar things" (right after talking about the drug policy)).

I am a new recruit to the CF and will be an infanteer with PPCLI. I heard that no more troops are being sent to Afghanistan. Is this true? Truthfully, if a tour wasn't part of my deal I probably wouldn't have joined...Train to fight and not get to fight, that to me is the least appealing aspect of infantry. Does anybody know how the rotations work? Will I get to go to Ghan?

ready to go said:
I am a new recruit to the CF and will be an infanteer with PPCLI. I heard that no more troops are being sent to Afghanistan. Is this true? Truthfully, if a tour wasn't part of my deal I probably wouldn't have joined...Train to fight and not get to fight, that to me is the least appealing aspect of infantry. Does anybody know how the rotations work? Will I get to go to Ghan?

You will not go, might as well quit right now.  Save yourself the grief

dileas

tess

(uhm I hope you detected the sarcasm, would you please come down from that chair and take that sling off of around your neck...)

Don't about that stuff..you will make into INFMN as long as you want to....all recruit centres have the ability to give jobs out real time. Your biggest worry is how fast you can pack a toothbrush

I love sleeping outside in the dirt... there is just somethin about it. I bet you can't just do it once...

I can't believe nobody recalls "Burning Poo" as a least desirable infantry task.  In  a single day in April I burned 200 litres of poo in four cut down oil drums using no less than 100 litres of diesel.  Poo must be stirred constantly or you will just burn off the diesel on top.  It also helps if you dig a little hole under the barrels and have a fire boiling the poo stew from underneath.  This is a full 8hr day job.  I will shortly be printing a manual through queens printers.  Perhaps this requires a whole thread?

To use a really bad pun, 'are you ******** me?' I didnt know we still did this!

Do you mind if I ask where this was, and why it was being burnt? (I can make a guess, but the truth would be more interesting).

Edit - never mind, saw the answer, thanks anyway!

In Afghanistan - at the Gonebad Pl House and FOB Martello we disposed of it by burning every day and although our troops (infantry) did it most days, every trade there had a turn to burn there fair share.  What else are you going to do with it if you are in a static location without septic,.... handing it out as humanitartion aid would certainly cause problems!!!

The burning of the poo,... a timeless army tradition!

Bottom Line: Anything to do with routine in barracks sucks for the infantry. The hardest operations and the most miserable exercises are vastly preferable.

Teflon said:
In Afghanistan - at the Gonebad Pl House and FOB Martello we disposed of it by burning every day and although our troops (infantry) did it most days, every trade there had a turn to burn there fair share.  What else are you going to do with it if you are in a static location without septic,.... handing it out as humanitartion aid would certainly cause problems!!!

The burning of the poo,... a timeless army tradition!

Especially on your birthday in 2002.  Oh those birthday memories...... ;D

When I was in General Lewis Mackenzie was the base commander of CFB Gagetown and was an avid race car aficionado. For some reason he decided to have a race on the RCR parade grounds. I was fortunate enough to be picked, at random, by the RSM to spend my weekend on my knees scrubbing the square clean of tire marks. What fun. I've always had a special spot in my heart for General Mackenzie since then.  :rage:

In other words be prepared for random acts of disrespect or general idiocy...

I've been out for a while so hopefully things have changed for the better.

Back