• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Lawyers Allegedly Behaving Badly

I mean, the lawyer who represented me in my last purchase and sale did find some innovative ways to augment his income. Tragically, the Ontario Bar disagreed with his approach.

I seem to recall that there were also a few corporations where he and his clients were directors... sometimes, what's missing from a court case or tribunal is more interesting than what crosses the finish line.

I seem to recall that there were also a few corporations where he and his clients were directors... sometimes, what's missing from a court case or tribunal is more interesting than what crosses the finish line.
You know, sometimes I read something and the whole thing just pours out of my ears and I retain nothing. That's what happened when I read both those cases.

Makes me aware of just how long its been since I worked in the field. I'm not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing.

:cry:

But it's OK that he remains the Mayor because: West Van ;)

West Vancouver mayor banned from practising law for 2 years​

Mayor Mark Sager admitted to professional misconduct while handling a friend's estate​

West Vancouver Mayor Mark Sager has been suspended from practising law for two years after agreeing that he committed three instances of professional misconduct while handling a friend's estate, says a Wednesday release from the Law Society of B.C.

The society says Sager admitted to acting in a conflict of interest by failing to ensure his client had received independent legal advice over the arrangement.

He also admitted to withdrawing $44,800 in executor's fees and $26,790,81 in care and management fees from the estate funds before receiving approval to do so.

Sager further admitted that he failed to maintain proper records and did not make contact with four charities that were listed as beneficiaries on the will for approximately nine years.

Sager was issued a citation by the law society listing these allegations in September 2022, a month before being elected mayor.

The agreement between the lawyer and Sager says he invoiced the estate and reimbursed himself more than $162,800 in travel expenses, visiting the sister of his client in England at least 18 times until she passed away in 2019, without getting approval from the beneficiaries or the court.

It also says he mistakenly billed the estate for several personal purchases, including from clothing store AllSaints Jacks Place, department store Harrods, leather goods store Smythson, and a stay at a hotel in France.

It says he withdrew $2,954.80 from separate bank accounts belonging to the client for "funeral costs," mistakenly reimbursing himself twice for the same expense.

He also issued a cheque for $2,000 to the Kay Meek Arts Centre, despite the centre not being listed as a beneficiary of the will.

And another one...

Lawyer suspended after representing husband and wife in same case​

Lawyer also ordered to pay nearly $16,000 in costs and expenses​

The Law Society of B.C. has suspended a Surrey lawyer for five months, for committing professional misconduct by representing a man, and later his wife, in the same family law litigation.

The Law Society's Tribunal Hearing panel has also ordered lawyer Pir Indar Paul Singh Sahota to pay the society almost $16,000 in costs and disbursements, saying his conflict of interest was obvious and "clearly cost the wife and husband wasted money, time, and emotional energy."

"The Respondent's actions in this case, taken individually and holistically, are frankly startling, especially for someone with his length of call," the panel wrote in a decision earlier this month.

"They strike at the core of a lawyer's undivided duty of loyalty to a client and show a complete lack of understanding by the Respondent of that fundamental duty."

And another one...

Lawyer suspended after representing husband and wife in same case​

Lawyer also ordered to pay nearly $16,000 in costs and expenses​

The Law Society of B.C. has suspended a Surrey lawyer for five months, for committing professional misconduct by representing a man, and later his wife, in the same family law litigation.

The Law Society's Tribunal Hearing panel has also ordered lawyer Pir Indar Paul Singh Sahota to pay the society almost $16,000 in costs and disbursements, saying his conflict of interest was obvious and "clearly cost the wife and husband wasted money, time, and emotional energy."

"The Respondent's actions in this case, taken individually and holistically, are frankly startling, especially for someone with his length of call," the panel wrote in a decision earlier this month.

"They strike at the core of a lawyer's undivided duty of loyalty to a client and show a complete lack of understanding by the Respondent of that fundamental duty."

So your saying divorce lawyers should not offer a "Family package deal?"

Is there a concentration of these in BC ? Or am I just not exposed to the full picture ?

I suspect it may just be that there are some more salacious instances in BC. The professional bodies for lawyers in every province regularly post stories of sanctions.

I suspect it may just be that there are some more salacious instances in BC. The professional bodies for lawyers in every province regularly post stories of sanctions.
I also suspect that because there are literal metric boatloads of money sloshing around the Lower Mainland Real Estate market everyday, it attracts a certain type…

Is there a concentration of these in BC ? Or am I just not exposed to the full picture ?

Maybe ;)

Former Victoria lawyer disbarred, ordered to pay $49,075​

Despite retiring and handing in his licence, lawyer Lindsay Ross has been disbarred by the Law Society of B.C.: "Misconduct cannot be avoided simply by resigning from the Law Society"

A former Victoria lawyer has been disbarred and ordered to pay $49,075 after a Law Society of B.C. tribunal found he misappropriated trust funds, misled clients, acted in a conflict of interest and facilitated a breach of a trust agreement.

The tribunal found Lindsay Adam Christopher Ross showed “serious lapses of responsibility regarding trust accounting processes and lack of respect for lawyers and the court” after it was determined Ross misappropriated $100,000 of his client’s funds and “repeatedly made false and misleading claims” to his clients and members of the society.

The conflict of interest relates to the purchase and sale of a pair of properties on Sproat Lake, near Port Alberni.

Ross had represented his wife, his cousin and his cousin’s husband in buying a property on Sproat Lake in 2003. When they sold it and bought a second property in 2005, the cousin was “misled” about the purchase amount of the second property — as a result contributing more than half the true purchase price.

I love it whenever an objection is described as “strenuous”.

Carly Objection GIF by Paramount+

Also a great line from A Few Good Men:

Weinberg:
I strenuously object? Is that how it works? Objection. Overruled! No, no, no... I strenuously object! Oh, I should reconsider then!

Galloway:
I got it on the record.

Weinberg:
You got the court thinking we're afraid of the doctor. Christ, you even had the judge saying he was an expert! You object once, so we can say he's not a criminologist. You keep after it, our cross looks like a bunch of fancy lawyer tricks. It's the difference between paper law and trial law!

Carly Objection GIF by Paramount+

Also a great line from A Few Good Men:

Weinberg:
I strenuously object? Is that how it works? Objection. Overruled! No, no, no... I strenuously object! Oh, I should reconsider then!

Galloway:
I got it on the record.

Weinberg:
You got the court thinking we're afraid of the doctor. Christ, you even had the judge saying he was an expert! You object once, so we can say he's not a criminologist. You keep after it, our cross looks like a bunch of fancy lawyer tricks. It's the difference between paper law and trial law!
Exactly why I love it.

I love it whenever an objection is described as “strenuous”.
I've never been in court. Isn't that how it works? Counsel objects; if the judge rules against him, he objects more loudly so that the judge changes his mind?

An interesting case before the Ontario Bar, and now in court.

Ummm, forgive me, but child sex abuser and person of good character don't really go hand in hand with each other...any more than sexual abuse of anyone or thing, considering I seem to recall that the CCofC frowns on that in general and particular. If they're actually on trial for that and they've awaiting a deliberation, well fine, except that being on trial for that (or any other criminal matter) should hold up their ability to be called to practice until it's settled as not guilty. I'm sure @FJAG might have something to add...

Back