• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Landlord evicting military family shifts blame

George Wallace said:
Sometimes a picture isn't worth a thousand words, Baden Guy.

That property doesn't have any price tag on it in the ad.  It may be located in a slum area/ghetto.  There are several areas in Ottawa that are near Somali ghettos and they are not good places to be - Fire and Police calls several times a day - gangs - crime - etc. 

Don't want to get into an argument here but.....
The price is clearly displayed at the top of the page on the link.  The property may be as you suggest George in an undesirable neighbourhood, but a quick glance through Google maps and it doesn't look to bad.
Anyway my point was is this "for example " property, two bedroom condo for $179900 something that would be acceptable and within financial reach of most serviceman.
Now if your only acceptable level is a three bedroom house then you better stay away from most of the major cities in Canada.
I have to smile every time I drive by the old closed CFB Downsview.  The authorities have decided to keep the PMQ open. So here we find the typical PMQ housing mix amidst the TO buidling boom.  A little military enclave on land worth many more times than the value of the housing.
The same example, land value not quite so high, can be found in the  Oakville PMQ.

Baden  Guy said:
Don't want to get into an argument here but.....
The price is clearly displayed at the top of the page on the link.  The property may be as you suggest George in an undesirable neighbourhood, but a quick glance through Google maps and it doesn't look to bad.....

Opps!  Must have not opened up the window large enough or ignored the price as part of another ad.  Sorry.   :-[

Baden  Guy said:
The property may be as you suggest George in an undesirable neighbourhood, but a quick glance through Google maps and it doesn't look to bad.

Some PMQ patches that I have seen (and lived in) have sometimes been described as undesirable neighbourhoods in which to live (said with a sarcastic tone).  But if you want to make a comparison of Edmonton neighbourhoods, the following Edmonton Journal piece may be of some use.  However, the study referred to in the article has flaws (particularly if local gov't used it as the priority list to spend revitalization money) since one of the trendiest 'hoods in Edmonton, Strathcona is rated lower than Rundle Heights.

From No. 1 to No. 213 in local quality of life
Thirty-one areas on city's list for revitalization work -- and dollars
http://www.canada.com/edmontonjournal/news/story.html?id=ddcc7a67-505b-4ba5-baa1-5bb9b8adc7f0&k=19870  (much more at link)
EDMONTON - How does your neighbourhood rate as a place to live? The City of Edmonton has an answer.

In a wide-ranging study that looks at everything from the number of single parents to the condition of city streets, the city has amassed a huge pile of data, and a corresponding quality-of-life ranking, on 213 Edmonton neighbourhoods.

At the bottom of the list is Alberta Avenue, a neighbourhood now working hard to drive out prostitutes and drug dealers and attract new residents. Its ranking was zero -- not a suggestion that the area has no quality of life, but that it has the most challenges to overcome. .......

....neighbourhoods, rated on a 100-point scale.

1. Alberta Avenue: 0
2. Central McDougall: 1.99
3. Eastwood: 7.34
4. Oliver: 10.88
5. Calder: 18.15
6. Canora: 18.27
7. Inglewood: 18.79
13. Strathcona: 22.18
31. Rundle Heights: 32.44  (the neighbourhood of the property discussed)

My husband just got posted to 408 Squadron in Edmonton. We were told by CFHA it would be impossible for us to get a MQ before Dec 2007 and that I would have to wait in our previous posting while he went to Edmonton. My comment was "Not". So we decided to buy a home! Well let me tell you. Since March 2007 the prices of houses are totally gone crazy. So you can not buy a decent home no matter how many bedrooms you want for under $265000.00. We lucked in and got a mobile home, but for $173000.00!

Also I looked at renting, if you have any type of pet it is hard to find a place that will rent to you. It is ridiculous! I feel for her because we have a dog also. And to us he is part of our family.

So if your going to purchase a home your down payment should be at least $30000.00! And no matter what type of duty you've been doing you ain't going to bring that home.

I agree that the government should start supporting their members and families. These MQ's have been paid for time and time again. If they'd stop tearing them down before they get the new ones supposedly that are to be built up. Then there would be something. Also if Ottawa and Toronto can get over $1000 PLD, then I think there should be PLD for all military bases no matter what province they are in.

I'm not sure where you got the "over $1000" figures for Toronto AND Ottawa, but I am sure that these figures are not correct.  Something a RMS clerk would be able to clear up for us.

A guy I'm on course with is posted in Toronto and is pulling in around $1000 + in PLD  - they have 3 levels depending on where you are.

MM

tweetya said:

So if your going to purchase a home your down payment should be at least $30000.00! And no matter what type of duty you've been doing you ain't going to bring that home.

I agree that house prices are outrageous in Edmonton (I just moved from there).  However, I don't see that $30K is unreasonable for a down payment.  I purchased my first house (for $95K) in 1989 - the time of the required 25% down payment to qualify for a CMHC Guaranteed Mortgage.  My down payment was $23,750 - at a time LONG before the wonderful pay raises of the '90s - and the wonderful changes to overseas allowances (tax free status and all that) - and my wife was, at the time, a stay at home Mom - my family existed on a MCpl's salary, and we managed it.

To summarize - I agree the cost of housing is high in Edmonton, I agree that there needs to be some sort of PLD payable at that location - I don't agree that saving $30K for a down payment is that much of a big deal, given the fiscal realities of service today.

Roy

Roy Harding said:
I agree that house prices are outrageous in Edmonton (I just moved from there).  However, I don't see that $30K is unreasonable for a down payment.  I purchased my first house (for $95K) in 1989 - the time of the required 25% down payment to qualify for a CMHC Guaranteed Mortgage.  My down payment was $23,750 - at a time LONG before the wonderful pay raises of the '90s - and the wonderful changes to overseas allowances (tax free status and all that) - and my wife was, at the time, a stay at home Mom - my family existed on a MCpl's salary, and we managed it.

To summarize - I agree the cost of housing is high in Edmonton, I agree that there needs to be some sort of PLD payable at that location - I don't agree that saving $30K for a down payment is that much of a big deal, given the fiscal realities of service today.

Roy

Bang on.

Furthermore, there is no reason why someone could not check out many of the alternatives that banks offer, i.e zero down mortgage which carries a higher interest rate however is unnoticable.

dileas

tess

tweetya said:
Also I looked at renting, if you have any type of pet it is hard to find a place that will rent to you. It is ridiculous! I feel for her because we have a dog also. And to us he is part of our family.

So for you the choice would be:

1- Have a dog ; or

2- Have a place to live

Is the choice not obvious to you ?

CDN Aviator said:
So for you the choice would be:

1- Have a dog ; or

2- Have a place to live

Is the choice not obvious to you ?

I have a dog, and it wouldn't be that obvious to me.  It's like saying :

1- Have a kid; or

2- Have a place to live.

For me, it's not an option. 

SupersonicMax said:

1- Have a kid; or

2- Have a place to live.

That's all well and good. Make your choice then as you see fit. Just don't run to the media and blame the CF's inability to find you affordable housing when in actuality you are choosing the pet over affordable housing. That's what this girl did; see the difference yet?

SupersonicMax said:

1- Have a kid; or

2- Have a place to live.

I have a dog, (and cats) too - and I love her (and them) to pieces.  I WAITED, however, until I:

a.  owned my home (no landlord issues);

b.  had the space required for the large breed I wanted;

c.  had the time required to teach her basic obedience.

When we lived in rental accommodations, we DID NOT HAVE PETS (I lie - we had a parakeet for a while - and various gerbils and white mice) CATS OR DOGS - despite the pleading of the kids, because we knew that no matter what our current landlord might have allowed, we would be moving (again) shortly, and there was no guarantee of finding a landlord with the same understanding in our new place.

Once we purchased our own home, we got house cats - items b. and c. above did not apply to them.

And I agree with Vern - when my wife and I told the kids they couldn't have a dog or cat, we didn't blame the CF, nor think we had anything to talk to the media about.

Edit:  I forgot the rodents.

Roy Harding said:

Roy

But Roy, you aren't being fair!! How can people come up with $30,000 for a down payment?  They would have to SAVE their money over a period of time!!! They wouldn't be able to have their house NOW!!! And god forbid, people do without what they WANT for any length of time.  Aren't they ENTITLED to get WHATEVER they want WHENEVER they want??? Isn't somebody out there supposed to GIVE it to them?  And surely to god if they can't come up with it on their own, SOMEHOW this must be the CFs responsibility, no?

Sorry but this notion of being owed something is really starting to p*ss me off. 

Just out of curiosity, for a Corporal deployed to Afghanistan, approximately what would be the total benefits (including income taxes not being paid) over his/her normal monthly take home pay that would the family could be receiving? 

When hubby was deployed, with his pay and everything else they give you, tax free we made about 5,000 a month. This was his third tour, and I know that makes somewhat of a difference, but i don't know how much of a difference.

SupersonicMax said:
I have a dog, and it wouldn't be that obvious to me. 

Fine...go live on the street with you dog but it wont be the CFs fault you are there.

As far as your analogy goes in regards to kids.......well if you cant afford to have a dog/ kid.....don't freakin have them.

CDN Aviator said:
Fine...go live on the street with you dog but it wont be the CFs fault you are there.

As far as your analogy goes in regards to kids.......well if you cant afford to have a dog/ kid.....don't freakin have them.

I won't plan my life in the eventuality of being posted to Edmonton.  Right now, I can afford a dog and I have one.  We didn't get the dog just because we wanted one, but we taught about it, made it part of the budget, took a year to finally decide that it was time to get one.  It's part of the family.  Same as a kid in my opinion.  I tend to agree that the CF could do a little more for the folks (in general) in Edmonton.  If you are "evicted" from your apartment in Winnipeg, you won't have a great deal of trouble finding a place that accepts animals for a reasonable price.

Max

SupersonicMax said:
I won't plan my life in the eventuality of being posted to Edmonton.  Right now, I can afford a dog and I have one.  We didn't get the dog just because we wanted one, but we taught about it, made it part of the budget, took a year to finally decide that it was time to get one.  It's part of the family.  Same as a kid in my opinion.  I tend to agree that the CF could do a little more for the folks (in general) in Edmonton.  If you are "evicted" from your apartment in Winnipeg, you won't have a great deal of trouble finding a place that accepts animals for a reasonable price.

Max

Wonderful planning on your part, Max - and I understand the attractions of a dog - you've got her/him now, so you'll have to live with the consequences (I appreciate how attached you get to them) IF you're posted to Edmonton or some other place where the available accommodations are tight.

The point I (and others) have been trying to get across is that if you DO run into circumstances where accommodations aren't available which include your dog, it WON'T be the fault of the CF, and it WON'T be something worth crying to the national media about, as if it WERE the CF's responsibility.  Somehow, I don't think it'll be an issue with you - you seem prepared to accept responsibility for your own decisions.

Roy

This discussion is now bordering on the ridiculous.  A Pet is not a Child, and never will be.  Your conscious decision to own a pet is yours, but you must be prepared to give up that pet should the situation dictate.  A child is not a pet, and can in no way be discussed in any way as being similar or equal.  If you have to, you can give up your pet to a friend or family, or have it put down.  A child you can not.  When it comes to 'Rental' properties, there is no way that one can compare a child to a pet.  This whole line of argument is totally out to lunch.  If you insist on keeping it up, this will become nothing else but a topic that is relegated to Radio Chatter.

Back