• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Landlord evicting military family shifts blame

formerarmybrat23

Inactive
Reaction score
By GLENN KAUTH, SPECIAL TO SUN MEDIA
From the Edmonton Sun
http://www.edmontonsun.com/News/Edmonton/2007/06/03/4230394-sun.html

A landlord who is evicting a local soldier and his family says it's the military's job to make sure its troops can find affordable housing, not his.

"That is the Canadian government not taking care of their dirty dishwashing," said Alain Phaneuf, owner of the two-bedroom home Cpl. Jeremy Augustine and his family must vacate by the end of August.

Earlier this month, his wife, Joan Couling, told Sun Media she and Augustine may have to head east if they can't find a reasonable place to live. Since then, she's been looking for housing, but the cheapest place she found wouldn't take the family's two pugs.

"I feel sorry for her and all that. But everyone is out for themselves, not to protect the world," said Phaneuf.

Couling, 30, was able to get a one-month extension on the eviction after she challenged a letter from Phaneuf saying he was selling their house in the city's northwest. She argued he couldn't make them leave since he hadn't sold the house yet.

Instead, Phaneuf is having his father move in at the end of August so they can renovate the home in preparation for a sale. Meanwhile, Augustine will return from duty in Afghanistan later this summer to find himself looking for a new place to live.

Couling's struggles come as local soldiers find it increasingly hard to get housing in Edmonton. Strathcona Legion president Ted Gazley, a former soldier who lived in military housing in the 1960s, says it's time for the government to come forward with assistance for local soldiers.

"We need our government to step in there and help them out," he said.

formerarmybrat23 said:
By GLENN KAUTH, SPECIAL TO SUN MEDIA
From the Edmonton Sun
http://www.edmontonsun.com/News/Edmonton/2007/06/03/4230394-sun.html

A landlord who is evicting a local soldier and his family says it's the military's job to make sure its troops can find affordable housing, not his.

"That is the Canadian government not taking care of their dirty dishwashing," said Alain Phaneuf, owner of the two-bedroom home Cpl. Jeremy Augustine and his family must vacate by the end of August.

Earlier this month, his wife, Joan Couling, told Sun Media she and Augustine may have to head east if they can't find a reasonable place to live. Since then, she's been looking for housing, but the cheapest place she found wouldn't take the family's two pugs.

"I feel sorry for her and all that. But everyone is out for themselves, not to protect the world," said Phaneuf.

Couling, 30, was able to get a one-month extension on the eviction after she challenged a letter from Phaneuf saying he was selling their house in the city's northwest. She argued he couldn't make them leave since he hadn't sold the house yet.

Instead, Phaneuf is having his father move in at the end of August so they can renovate the home in preparation for a sale. Meanwhile, Augustine will return from duty in Afghanistan later this summer to find himself looking for a new place to live.

Couling's struggles come as local soldiers find it increasingly hard to get housing in Edmonton. Strathcona Legion president Ted Gazley, a former soldier who lived in military housing in the 1960s, says it's time for the government to come forward with assistance for local soldiers.

"We need our government to step in there and help them out," he said.

I feel for this family - very little.

I just moved from Edmonton - yes, it's expensive, but on the salary CF members make, it's affordable.

I lived through the "soldiers at food bank" years - some of those years I was a Private, with three kids, and the wife was a stay at home Mom.  We didn't go to the food bank, and knew no-one who did - we also didn't own a 32" TV (a big deal at the time), an extra vehicle, or other luxury items.  The pay raises in the '80s and '90s made the CF a much more financially attractive career choice.

Yes, Edmonton is an expensive place, but I REALLY don't think that it's beyond the financial capability of most CF members - you don't get any sympathy from me.

Fire at will.

Roy

No objection from this corner Roy.

East?, as in East end Edmonton or East coast Canada....
As well, maybe some priorities are mixed up here?, not wanting to give up two dogs so you can have a roof over your head?, kind of misleading headline I might say, "Landlord evicting military family shifts blame". I was expecting to read "Soldier and wife with seven children...."

N.B. Emphasis mine.

I don't think its a question of priorities. First off pets are not something that should be given up when the going is tough. When you get one they are yours and must keep them until illness or death. Thats just my thoughts on that. Secondly, Edmonton has a very low vacancy rate and soaring rents. I had read last year that a few people died from exposure. They couldn't find any place to live and were forced to live in campers in parks.

Having just come back from Alberta, I know that although you may net about 40,000 (minimum) a year, a two bedroom in Edmonton can be anywhere from 900-2000/month. Most cases that does'nt include anything. Its getting very cut throat out there. Anyone who can't hack it is left behind. I cannot imagine being posted there, knowing you cannot leave, feeling like theres no where to go. I guess having been out that way I have more sympathy.

formerarmybrat23 said:
I guess having been out that way I have more sympathy.

i have live there too for several years and i have no sympathy.  People in other locations pay well above Edmonton's prices and manage to have a place to live.  I know what you are saying about Pets but for cripes sake...when faced with a choice of having a home or not........its an easy one. Military salaries arent like what they used to be.  Maybe someone should ask what size their TV is, how often they eat out and how many gas guzzling pickups or SUVs the family drives.......i have seen those kinds of people.....

formerarmybrat23 said:
I don't think its a question of priorities. First off pets are not something that should be given up when the going is tough. When you get one they are yours and must keep them until illness or death. Thats just my thoughts on that.

Hmm, I'm going to have to agree with Maslow (Google it) on this one. When it comes to shelter (a necessity of life) for your family or pets??

Good-bye birdie, without a single doubt in my mind. That's just my thoughts.

Roger that.  I love my dog too but if it comes to her or a house I would have to go with the families security first.

I feel for the soldier coming home but he's a CPL in Afghanistan, he's far from Poor.  The only thing keeping this soldier from having a home are those two dogs.  His wife needs to sum up and make sure this soldier has a roof over his head when he gets back.

CDN Aviator said:
i have live there too for several years and i have no sympathy.  People in other locations pay well above Edmonton's prices and manage to have a place to live.  I know what you are saying about Pets but for cripes sake...when faced with a choice of having a home or not........its an easy one. Military salaries arent like what they used to be.  Maybe someone should ask what size their TV is, how often they eat out and how many gas guzzling pickups or SUVs the family drives.......i have seen those kinds of people.....

CDN Aviator - is that you??  It's rare for you to not capitalize and punctuate properly.

Just wondering.

I take your point - pets ARE, indeed, members of the family.  I have four cats, and an English Mastiff - they take a fair chunk out of the budget (especially the Mastiff - what she can't chew hasn't been thought of yet).

HOWEVER - when we were raising our kids, we DIDN'T have the pets - we couldn't afford them.  My kids "got by" with a single cat, which was loved by all of them - the other three cats and the Mastiff came later.

I guess my point is - MY POINT IS that members of the CF make a reasonable wage - it wasn't always so, but it is true today.  You need to make your life choices within that economic envelope - even in Edmonton.  I understand that Edmonton is a really expensive place to purchase a home - I feel for everybody who is posted there - BUT; nobody in the CF is hurtin' that bad that they can't afford a decent place to live - that decent place may not include the option to keep pets, and that is unfortunate - but it's not worthy of headlines such as "Landlord Evicting Military".

Roy

Well according to the Alberta Landlord and Tenant Act, the landlord has complied with the terms in which to terminate (not evict) a lease.  We don't know the terms of the above lease, but assuming for argument sake that it was a yearly lease and that contained within the terms of the lease are the clauses that afford for termination by either party, the tenant has had 90 days *plus* and additional 30 days by which to find alternative accommodation.  Obviously week-to-week leases and month-to-month will have different terms for notification.  http://www.acjnet.org/docs/landten/Nov04-end.pdf

This type of termination of a lease is know has a tenant no fault and therefore should not affect future rental and checks by landlords.  Why this person is having difficulties outside of what has been stated, has not been discussed (or research by the journalist) and I'm leaning towards that there is more to them not being able to find suitable accommodation than just the issues of the dogs and cost.  That does not make this story anymore newsworthy (and moving east is still not going to resolve the dog in a rental problem as not many Provinces have a "fluffy" law as Ontario does and just looking at the average rents here in Ottawa, they aren't that much cheaper than Edmonton so I fail to see where there will be a benefit to the dramatic announcement of having to move east). 

I'm finding that the choice of wording by the MSM is again, a mechanism to sell papers and is being used as a springboard for yet another political commentary about the military. 

They've obviously not lived in BC before... the lower mainland is a killer for rent.

I think we all pretty much agree here.

We lived in St.Albert on a Cpl's wage and a part-time wage from 9D, with 2 kids and 2 cars. We certainly weren't going to the Keg every payday for supper, but Gusto's was definitely on the itinerary. And if they think a couple of pooches are expensive, they've obviously never kept a 6' teenage male in the house.

Wook

edit: for spelling, really should pick up that skill one day.

Wookilar said:
And if they think a couple of pooches are expensive, they've obviously never kept a 6' teenage male in the house.

;D

Wookilar said:
And if they think a couple of pooches are expensive, they've obviously never kept a 6' teenage male in the house.

Wook

Or a Veronica!!  ;D

Wookilar said:
I think we all pretty much agree here.

We lived in St.Albert on a Cpl's wage and a part-time wage from 9D, with 2 kids and 2 cars. We certainly weren't going to the Keg every payday for supper, but Gusto's was definitely on the itinerary. And if they think a couple of pooches are expensive, they've obviously never kept a 6' teenage male in the house.

Wook

edit: for spelling, really should pick up that skill one day.

Try it with 6 + pets, etc....leashing them helps...(the kids)

I have a couple of questions. First off if said Cpl is coming back from a tour in AFG, he should be coming back with a fair chunk of change in pocket correct? Why not take that money and use it for a down-payment on a home. Doesn't have to be the Taj-ma hall or anything, but 2+ bedrooms, kitchen, dining room, basement can't be all that bad. Secondly, have they inquired about Q's, I mean sure some of them are beat up and need some serious work, but at least it is a roof over their heads, right? I have moved from Halifax to St Jean, prices between the two are comparable, not outside my means. 16 yrs in, MS NCIOP. 2 Kids, cat, 2 dogs, gecko. Wife has not worked steady since we arrive in Quebec, the language laws and need to be bilingual play havoc with the ability to find work in your trade of choice for spouses. We are posted to BC and will be moving into a Q that is about half the size of the house we are in now. Oh well, you do what you have to do. We can't afford to buy in Esquimalt, so we rent. The choice is easy, go with what you can afford. If this guy is a Cpl he should have enough experience in life and the military to be able to ask the right questions.
That's my rant.
Cheers, Feet :cdn:

Very good on ya!  M Feetham.

Have you ever been to Edmonton?  The number of PMQs are rather limited.  It was an Air Base and then the Liberals moved in a Bde (4,000 or so soldiers).  No new PMQs have been built.  In fact, many old ones have been sold off. 

So you figure a Cpl, who has been paying his paycheque on rent, can suddenly scrap up enough for a mortgage on a 500K home and still provide the necessities for his family?

::)  Right!

Wow, i love how everyday military families are looking more and more like a bunch of charity cases. I sure hope the public knows that we are a well paid military , especially during tours. Yes, Edmonton is expensive, yes it's hard to buy a house here, yes the rent is outrageous, yes it is impossible to get a PMQ here (unless you're posted in) but lack of financial planning on this woman's part shouldn't be anyones issue but her own. Life sucks, get a freaking helmet.  >:D

The difference between the military and public sector I think is that you have more of a choice in the public sector vice the military.  If they sent me to Edmonton for whatever reason I'd be living in a cardboard box.  I'm good to go for MB but Alberta no way.

+1 Camochick

Here is my point of view, also, after I read the story. The thing that stuck out for me, mostly is when they mentioned the "Pug" Dog. Being that they are purebred dogs, I'm sure that it was not cheap to purchase the pet to begin with. Also, coming from myself that is a single parent... juggling 2 jobs to make the ends meet, which I'm happy to do because I have to take care of my family. And my rent was paid on time as it always is. Sometimes, it's all about cutting back and 'downsizing' where you need to, to have that roof over your head. If it comes down to also, getting rid of the family pet, to put priorities (like your children) first so they can have a roof over there head.. that is what you gotta do.

I think what you said is the bottom line camo... life sucks, get a helmet!

~Rebecca

Back