• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Kandahar PRT Handyman "Popeye" Reportedly Murdered

The Bread Guy

Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
This from the Canadian Press:
He had lived and worked on what is now the provincial reconstruction team base in Kandahar city since he was a small boy.

And now Fida Mohammed, a jack of all trades affectionately nicknamed "Popeye" by American soldiers several years ago, is dead. He was believed to be 60.

Mohammed's body was found outside the base in Kandahar city by his son Saturday. He had been murdered.

The affable maintenance man watched as his father helped build what was originally a fruit cannery at the base and eventually ended up working there in a number of jobs over more than 35 years.

The PRT was originally a prosperous fruit cannery built by Czech investors in the early 1970s, a time of prosperity in Afghanistan. As many as 1,400 workers showed up for work each day to can pomegranates, apples and grapes for export.

The operation was scaled back when the Russians invaded in 1979 and shut down for good when the mujahedeen warlords took over in 1992.

All through those years Mohammed was there.

"First I was shocked and then I was saddened by it. Popeye was quite simply a good man," said Maj. Dave Muralt, the public affairs officer at the PRT in 2006.

Popeye was always working said Muralt, who said he left the base only to visit his four wives and other members of his family ....

Edited to add attached photo - "FILE--Fida Mohammed, also known as Popeye, has lived at the PRT in Kandahar City for 40 years. He is seen in this Nov. 21, 2006 photo. The body of Mohammed, a jack of all trades affectionately nicknamed “Popeye” by American soldiers several years ago, was found outside the base where he had gone to visit his family. It is believed he was murdered.  (PHOTO BY) THE CANADIAN PRESS/Bill Graveland"

Aw, damn. I remember Popeye and his Gator at CNS. Got a bunch of pics of him here somewhere.

RIP  :salute:

I remember when we built his new house. He was overjoyed that he had somewhere decent to live. What a shame; I hope Attullah and the rest of his family are taken care of.

I also remember seeing Popeye going around the PRT delivering things with the Gator too.  He always smiled and was cherry to everyone.  Although I did not get the chance to get to know him personally as I was always in transit, he struck me as a decent man.  I am saddened to read this, and it makes me worry and wonder about the LEPs that worked for me in and OTW.  :salute:

More from the National Post/Postmedia, shared in accordance with the "fair dealing" provisions, Section 29, of the Copyright Act.
Canadian and U.S. officials on Sunday were mourning the death of a much admired Afghan, said to be in his 70s, who did a variety of jobs for the joint Canadian-U. S. provincial reconstruction team.

.... Fida Mohammad, who had been a fixture at the team's base in Kandahar city since Soviet times, was killed Saturday after he left work to visit his four wives and children.

Details of the crime were not immediately available.

"Canada and the United States condemn in the harshest of terms, the cowardly, heinous and senseless murder of Haji Fida Mohammad," Canada's senior diplomat in Kandahar, Ben Rowswell, and the U.S.'s senior civilian, Bill Harris, said Sunday in a joint statement.

Mohammad "was known to all as a true gentleman, a wise elder and a man on whom you can always rely."

The wizened Afghan was renowned for his affable manner and his work ethic, often distributing potable water around the base during the middle of the night.

Suspicion immediately fell on the Taliban, but finding out who did what to whom in Kandahar is often much more complicated than that.

For example, nobody knows for sure who was responsible for murdering Abdul Ghani Kakar, who worked as an interpreter with the Canadian Army until his death in November.

Some family and friends of the husband and father of four claimed he was killed by the Taliban. But others in Kandahar city allege he was killed by relatives of a young woman with whom he had allegedly flirted.

NATO has long estimated that a majority of the violent crimes in Kandahar city cannot be directly linked to the Taliban, but are triggered by family feuds or turf wars between drug lords.

- edited to fix reference in second paragraph -
- latest edit removes title before handyman's name until glitch can be fixed -

milnews.ca said:
More from the National Post/Postmedia, shared in accordance with the "fair dealing" provisions, Section 29, of the Copyright Act.

How did the words "Muslim Terrorist" find their way into the second paragraph of your quote?  They are not in the linked article.

Haggis said:
How did the words "Muslim Terrorist" find their way into the second paragraph of your quote?  They are not in the linked article.
They were in the first version I cut/pasted - fixing now.

Thanks!

I think there's some sort of software glitch - whenever I type in "H a j i" (without spaces between the letters) in the quote above, it saves as "Muslim terrorist"..... ???

Am PM'ing Mike about it.

Also posted here
http://forums.milnet.ca/forums/threads/95414

milnews.ca said:
I think there's some sort of software glitch - whenever I type in "H a j i" (without spaces between the letters) in the quote above, it saves as "Muslim terrorist"..... ???

Were it not about a decent man who will be missed and did not deserve this fate, I would find hours of amusement at this typing error and the realm of possibilities that may be out there to explore.  Hopefully Mike will be able to correct it soon.

jollyjacktar said:
Were it not about a decent man who will be missed and did not deserve this fate, I would find hours of amusement at this typing error and the realm of possibilities that may be out there to explore.
Isn't it one of Murphy's IT laws that you tend to find this kind of glitch when someone doesn't rate it?

Sorry folks, the typo was my fault. I'd set the censor to water down Haji with 'Muslim Terrorist' in an attempt to tone down potential racist comments. I've now removed that entry from the censor.

Cheers
Mike

What a waste.  He was okay working for us, but if he works for the US, he gets killed? Junk. 

zipperhead_cop said:
What a waste.  He was okay working for us, but if he works for the US, he gets killed? Junk.
Who knows if he was just further down the Taliban's list?
Sad....

Mike Bobbitt said:
Sorry folks, the typo was my fault. I'd set the censor to water down Haji with 'Muslim Terrorist' in an attempt to tone down potential racist comments. I've now removed that entry from the censor.
Cheers
Mike

Come'on Mike.....have some fun with that censor program....
  b i t c h becomes "twinkle toes"
  f&*% becomes "bees knees"

You get the idea....the **** are boring, and people will soon catch on... ;D

GAP said:
Come'on Mike.....have some fun with that censor program....
  b i t c h becomes "twinkle toes"
  f&*% becomes "bees knees"

You get the idea....the **** are boring, and people will soon catch on... ;D

I'm a member of a US-based news aggregator site that uses aggressive filters to stay SFW and off internet blacklists and the filter has a number of amusing quirks, the best of which is that if you type a common six-letter epithet for black people, it replaces it with the phrase 'attractive and successful African American."

It was with great sorrow that I found out today that the gentle and dedicated caretaker of Camp Nathan Smith known to most who met him as "Popeye", was brutally murdered last week by unknown assailants while making his way home from another workday at the PRT.
More can be read @ afghanistan.blogs.cnn.com

Thanks for moving this...I just found the other thread.
Cheers.

.... of Popeye, archived, shared in accordance with the Fair Dealing provisions (§29) of the Copyright  Act:
Camp Nathan Smith's patron saint
Graeme Smith, Globe & Mail, 19 Aug 06

Kandahar — Canada's military base in Kandahar city has a patron saint, and his name is Popeye.

His real name is Fida Mohammed, but the squinty handyman was re-named by U.S. troops who noticed his resemblance to the squinty, spinach-eating cartoon character.

The Americans were just one of several forces that occupied the old fruit cannery over the years, before the Canadians established Camp Nathan Smith within the compound's high walls.

As the cannery's owners changed, and Afghanistan's civil wars swept through Kandahar, Popeye always stayed in the same place.

He hung around the construction site as a child, when Czech investors built the factory on the northeast edge of the city in the early 1970s. He worked there through the 1980s, and when the mujahedeen took over in 1992 he was the official responsible for shutting down the processing lines and handing the facility over to the warlords.

Even during the Taliban years, when the factory was converted into a notorious prison, Popeye was never far away: He set up a gasoline depot nearby, and watched the Taliban guards herding their captives with sticks.

He moved back inside the compound when the Taliban fled in 2001, and the U.S. soldiers who conquered the place allowed him to stay. He's been taking care of the maintenance work ever since, and tending a vegetable garden.

For years, he lived with his son in a wooden shack. But the Canadian soldiers have started to treat him like everybody's grandfather -- he's maybe 56 or 57 years old, well beyond the average life expectancy here -- and some of them decided that such a well-loved personality on the base deserved better living quarters.

Soldiers scrounged for building materials and spent at least four months building a three-room bungalow during their off-duty hours.

It's a modest house, with bare concrete walls, but luxurious by local standards.

During the construction, the soldiers told Popeye that the house was intended as a new office. They summoned him to the building on Thursday with the pretext that they needed an air-conditioning unit installed, then handed him the keys and told him he now owns a house.

The old Afghan didn't say anything in response, overcome with emotion.

But he found words for his enthusiasm today, as he gave journalists a house tour.

As usual in Afghanistan, his pleasure was mixed with sadness. The Provincial Reconstruction Team based at Camp Nathan Smith has been criticized by local people for the slow pace of its work so far, as the death of a Canadian diplomat earlier this year and ongoing fighting near the city have hampered reconstruction.

While clearly overjoyed about his gift, Popeye seemed worried about Afghans living outside the camp's razor-wire fence, people who haven't yet enjoyed the benefits of Canadian generosity.

"I am satisfied with my life," he said. "I am happy. My life is better than the previous times. But hopefully we will have a stable security area outside."

Thank you for sharing the photo and sketch here.  You have a wonderful talent, well done. 

Back