• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Kandahar Hockey Pool anyone?

GAP

Army.ca Legend
Subscriber
Donor
Mentor
Reaction score
Forget the fighting - drop the puck!
By DOUG BEAZLEY
[
url=http://calsun.canoe.ca/News/National/2006/12/13/pf-2770333.html]Article Link[/url]

KANDAHAR, AFGHANISTAN -- Someone slaps a stick on the concrete, the ball shoots off the boards and lands in the goalie's glove. The players assemble.

They've got the rink, the equipment and the will to win. All they need is ice, a beer concession - and maybe a visit from Don Cherry.

It's Hockey Night in Kandahar. Don't these people know there's a war on?

Credit the Engineering Support Unit out of Petawawa for bringing a vital piece of Canadiana to the middle of the Central Asian desert.

"We built this back in September, October," said ESU Sgt. Joel Sawler.

"We were using the concrete pad over at the American gym, but you can't get a real game going without the boards."

The Canadians at Kandahar started with a 13-team league back in September.

One team was dropped from competition for unnecessary roughness, believe it or not.

There are just two American teams. They're tied for last place.
]Article Link

;D Well, they are Canadian. You can take the Canadian away from the sport, and drop them in the most God forbidding place on earth, but they will still find a way for their passion to play.

From my small (102 soldier) camp in Bosnia, we used to play ball hockey every Saturday night at the Bosnian army barracks in Bihac.  We used a fenced in handball court, adjacent to a mosque.  The Bosnian soldiers and some locals would line the fence watching us.  Some nights we inadvertently timed our intermissions with evening prayers from the minaret.  The locals were impressed by that.

When we moved up to the main Canadian camp in Velika Kladusa, ball hockey took on an almost religious significance. There was an eight team league, a regular season and playoffs (which we won, I must add).

Why should Kanadahar be any different?

Game on!!

:army: On my last tour in Bosnia we had a ball hockey leaque and an indoor court in Zgon as well Drvar had there own leaque the ACDHL.
We did a regular season as well as playoffs.

Back