• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Troops get new gear -- featuring Canada's six NHL teams

GAP

Army.ca Legend
Subscriber
Donor
Mentor
Reaction score
Troops get new gear -- featuring Canada's six NHL teams -- to enhance Hockey Night in Afghanistan
By KELLY DOODY
 Article Link

Sport Chek is excited to announce the launch of 'Operation: Hockey Night in Afghanistan' this week, in which they plan to courier over a massive shipment of hockey equipment and NHL jerseys to Canadian troops serving overseas.

The goal is to show the troops some good old Canadian appreciation and support by sprucing up their hockey gear.

More than 600 soldiers are currently playing in a 40-team ball hockey league on makeshift rinks at both the Kandahar airfield and Camp Souter in Kabul. The new NHL jerseys, sticks, gloves, nets and goalie equipment will surely be a welcome addition to their standard issue army fatigues.

And facing off for the Kandahar Cup -- a smaller version of the Stanley Cup -- will no doubt be plenty more fun when wearing the six Canadian teams' proper home and away colours.

And, surprise, surprise, that humble guy behind the mask from Hockey Night in Canada is right on board.
More on link

Fantastic news! Now I need to break my truck more to play some hockey games.

This will most definately be recieved well I would think. Perhaps some of those who are going over there in the near future can snap a few shots of some of the games?

Gawd!  It's great to be a Canadian soldier these days!

While I have served for 35 + years, The last 5 have been an eye opener.  People go out of their way to shake my hand, blow me a kiss, give me a salute &/or a wave, come out of the blue & say thank you.... It's a great time to be a Canadian soldier.

This individual and corporate support for the troops overseas is GREAT and I am positive that the troops appreceate it to no end.

Thank you Canada

geo said:
Gawd!   It's great to be a Canadian soldier these days! 

I must agree, the open support is a fantastic change from previous decades...

Hopefully the equipment will include enough protectors of key parts for the goalies, if you know what I mean.  We're running low on these over here.  Plus, we need more ball hockey goalie pads, not the ice hockey ones that are huge and you can't move around in.

Back