• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Justin Trudeau hints at boosting Canada’s military spending

It seems that the LPC are spending more on the CAF after all ;)

Cost of Liberal government's defence plan has jumped by $50B, PBO says​

Projected cost of new equipment over 20-year period has risen to nearly $215 billion, assessment shows​

The cost of the Liberal government's nearly seven-year-old marquee defence plan has jumped by over $50 billion — mostly due to anticipated work on modernizing continental defence and delays in projects that should be underway — the federal budget watchdog said Wednesday.

The Office of the Parliamentary Budget Officer released an update to its projections for the impact of Strong, Secure and Engaged, the 2017 defence policy document.

The new assessment shows the projected cost of purchasing new equipment under the plan over a 20-year period has increased to $214.8 billion, up from the PBO's previous assessment of $164 billion.

When the federal government initially laid out its plan, it did not include the projected cost of modernizing NORAD. In 2023, then-Defence Minister Anita Anand announced that Canada would invest over $38 billion in improving aerospace and maritime defence alongside the United States.

Those figures are now folded into the PBO's estimate, along with $12 billion attributed to the rising cost of new equipment — brought on in part by delays in acquiring new fighter jets, frigates and drones.

I never realised until now that the CCG was not a part of the CAF. Not because I never asked why or looked for it, but for me I thought the CCG was a different branch of the CAF. But yes, this would definately help the 2% objective plus it could be a lot more interesting to folks wanting to join, and a very valuable asset for patrolling the North sea North Atlantic.

Quick fix, not a big deal. But the North Sea isn't one of our ocean frontiers.

Attachments

• RP-2324-025-C--planned-capital-spending-under-canada-defence-policy-2024-update--depenses-capi...pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 4
One reason they like they to calculate in all the lifetime costs of a defense project is that it drives the number up, so they can fudge closer to the 2% and also give the public a reason to demand cuts to DND. I want to see them adopt that same spending formula to all the buildings in Ottawa, so each office and cubicle counts to a PY scaled to the entitlement of the user. So a small cubicle is 46,000 x1.20, larger one 86.000 x1.20, office is 120,000x 1.20 and a EX office is salary plus bonus, plus travel. Not to mention toilet paper, cleaning supplies, janitor service and upkeep/upgrades over the life of the building. So you also factor in the cost of converting from "Right sizing" to "Workplace 2.0" to whatever comes next.

I don't think I've ever seen this much news attacking our defense policy is a 7 day period
It called "controlled opposition" This give Trudeau cover to increase or in really not shrink the defence budget. Anything on CBC or the MSM is pasted though the Liberal machine first.

I'm confused. Is the (mainstream) media controlled by (a) the PMO, (b) the government, (c) the bureaucracy, (d) the Liberal party, (e) somebody else? It's so hard to keep track. I guess if it is (a), (b) or (d) then when the Conservatives take power, all will be sweetness and light? Information will be timely, assiduously accurate, open and transparent?

Harper seldom even spoke to them so I guess that's a style of leadership.

I'm confused. Is the (mainstream) media controlled by (a) the PMO, (b) the government, (c) the bureaucracy, (d) the Liberal party, (e) somebody else? It's so hard to keep track. I guess if it is (a), (b) or (d) then when the Conservatives take power, all will be sweetness and light? Information will be timely, assiduously accurate, open and transparent?

Harper seldom even spoke to them so I guess that's a style of leadership.

I thought we have already moved past the idea that the CBC is even close to being an independent media outlet. Is there still any doubt about it? In 2024?

It just common knowledge and assumed it's just a messaging arm of the Liberal party at this point. They don't even try very well to deny it anymore

It called "controlled opposition" This give Trudeau cover to increase or in really not shrink the defence budget. Anything on CBC or the MSM is pasted though the Liberal machine first.
So are you counting the National Post and the Sun series as the MSM? I highly doubt those outlets are getting their marching orders from the LPC.

So are you counting the National Post and the Sun series as the MSM? I highly doubt those outlets are getting their marching orders from the LPC.
I’ve found that generally msm means which ever outlets disagree with the views of the person referencing it.

Man I can’t handle cuts anymore. Every day I try and stay motivated and it’s just not working anymore.

I’ve found that generally msm means which ever outlets disagree with the views of the person referencing it.
Yeah; people with a legitimate concern with the state of reporting and the communication of that reporting are usually talking about legacy media rather than "mainstream," which is a much more practical and meaningful umbrella.
Man I can’t handle cuts anymore. Every day I try and stay motivated and it’s just not working anymore.
I'm still not sure how much of the alleged "cut" to defence spending is actually a cut and not just a fancying up of the apparently routine budget hand-back.

Seems to be a pretty universal feeling of having the rug pulled out from under.

Back