• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Justin Trudeau hints at boosting Canada’s military spending

It’s interesting though that the increased support for defence spending noticeably faltered when those polled in one one poll were asked if defence should trump other priorities.

It remains highly probable that Canadians will still prioritize domestic policies outside of the constitutional federal governments responsibilities if given any chance to do so.

Mile wide, but an inch deep.

Social programs and handouts are what canadians want.

It is interesting to see how polls can be influenced by the pollster: which questions are asked, the order they are asked and the backstory supplied. Then, of course, there is the interpretation of the results. A game that anyone can play.

My take is that it is encouraging that the profile of the defence issue is on the rise. That is encouraging. It is also encouraging that even in the counter poll (Pollara) the importance of defence is rising and it is rising among women as well as men. Women have always been a lagging indicator going back at least to the days of Homer and his lyre. So if they are becoming more tolerant of defence spending that is encouraging to this militaristic old fart.

The other bit that I see as being open to spinning is TRUMP.

If you say that Trump is demanding more defence spending then a good chunk of the population, male and female, will immediately shout you down.

If you say that Jens Stoltenberg, on behalf of NATO and the embattled people of Ukraine is requesting more defence spending then that same population will be queueing up demanding to know where they can sign the petition.

If you say that our international trade is tied to being a good international partner and contributing to the common weal of nations you will get a thumbs up.

If you say that our international trade is tied to being a good American partner and contributing to the defence of the US of A you will get a thumbs down.

Over all, from a CAF perspective, I think there is more good news than bad in the latest trends. This tide is a rising tide and it will lift all boats.

One of the bigger indicators is the amount of headline inches and screen time that is being devoted to the discussion by all media, on both sides of the border and on both sides of the Atlantic. And the amount of the coverage is distinctly counter to the current government's policies.

Here I am including the intersectional issues of Covid, Hamas, Protesters, Foreign Interference, Labs and Wuhan, and foreign governments conducting operations on Canadian soil.

Enuff.

Over all, from a CAF perspective, I think there is more good news than bad in the latest trends. This tide is a rising tide and it will lift all boats.

Digging the CAF out of this mess will take a decade or more. There are no quick fixes, which the government is willing to make, on retention and the support structure.

Digging the CAF out of this mess will take a decade or more. There are no quick fixes, which the government is willing to make, on retention and the support structure.

The CAF management is a problem.

Money is necessary.

More important is a government policy that survives the change in parties.

More from the Angus Reid version of the numbers ....

The CAF management is a problem.

Money is necessary.

More important is a government policy that survives the change in parties.
We could spend 10% of our gdp on defense. With our current management, we would then have ten divisions on paper, 3 Corps, 2 army group HQs on paper. Actually have the forces still fir a single division. Why? That's our mentality, everything needs it's own HQ to manage it, and that HQ must be a colonel or higher. Heaven forbid a HQ manages multiple things.

Like anything, at least we're being talked about.

I think with all the bad press, Canadians are realizing that the CAF's issues are not strictly related to "post-COVID recovery" or "harmful sexual misconduct/culture change." We have gradually seen our Armed Forces gutted or rust out for the past 30-40 years and its come to roost.

It may have been seen as being hawkish 5 or 10 years ago to suggest we needed a stronger defence and foreign policy in Canada. Post 22 Feb 2022... national Pharmacare, geography, and previous International Rules Based alliances aren't protecting us from Russian, Chinese, or Iranian threats abroad or domestically.

Canadians now are horrified to think what would happen if Kherson was Calgary, Odessa was Halifax, or Bakhmut was Smalltown Anywhere, Canada. The realization that we have zero ability to provide continental defence if the U.S. walked away from NORAD is a terrifying threat now coming to consciousness in Canadian society. Its 20 years too late, but its a start and hopefully becomes a platform issue for Election 2025.

Last edited:
Base housing upgrades/expansion would be a no-brainer for the government I'd think. Would count toward our 2% GDP commitment. Spending would be 100% Canadian industry. Would aid in retention. Would relieve housing pressure on neighbouring communities. Wins for everybody.
Precisely why it won't happen with this government.

Makes WAY TOO MUCH SENSE

And each one of them has his own CWO, a herd of Cols, LCols, Maj etc etc. ...

:cry:
Well yes and no, at least in Canada.

A 3 or 4-star? Definitely.

A 2-star? Sure.

Some of the 1-stars will have a Maj or a Capt EA if they aren’t in a Command position. Unlikely to have anybody else.

I can’t say for sure about other countries.

Also, looking (obviously too far) back at this meme, the CAF to USMC similarities sort of end once you go beyond “the USMC has this many people”. The USMC doesn’t have its own medical pers - those are the USN. The USMC doesn’t even crew the ships they sail in - again, those are the USN.

But hey, why bring “facts” and “context” into memes, right?

A 2-star? Sure.

Some of the 1-stars will have a Maj or a Capt EA if they aren’t in a Command position. Unlikely to have anybody else.

Also, looking (obviously too far) back at this meme, the CAF to USMC similarities sort of end once you go beyond “the USMC has this many people”. The USMC doesn’t have its own medical pers - those are the USN. The USMC doesn’t even crew the ships they sail in - again, those are the USN.

Meanwhile, ARes Bde Comd's be like... :)

Matt And Kim People GIF by GOV BALL NYC

A 2-star? Sure.

Ships tend to have dramatically different ratios of O:E than ground forces, but nothing like the Air Forces.

A better comparison would be perhaps looking at all the officer ranks on those forces, and seeing how they all stack in comparison.

When looking at GOFO ratios, the pyramids for various services are usually all quite different.

Back