• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

just wondering

elizabeth

Inactive
Reaction score
I‘m a civilian who is only curious to know how like the movies is the military? For example is basic all yelling, swearing, no sleep, up at 4 am, group showers, no privacy or is that all a hollywood image? Thanx.

I would suggest taking anything you‘ve learned off of Hollywood movies about the military, and disregarding it.

You are right, there is some yelling, no swearing allowed :rolleyes: on course or excersises there is little sleep and you probably get up at around 5, females have seperate showers and females get respectable privacy, although in the field, it may be impossible to provide that.

You should talk to the local recruiter about any questions or worries you have, but overall the military treats it‘s people well.

J. Lightfoot

On course, privacy is limited. Group showers happens during training, but as Hulk mentioned, females get their privacy. On the other hand, you will get up early, and go to bed relatively late. You will suffer from lack of sleep sometimes but primarily on exercises. lol, no swearing? Movies are for entertainment, and the accuracy of things in them reflects that. Are you thinking about joining the military?

Wow, I‘ve been enlightened to some truth I hope.

but overall the military treats it‘s people well.
I‘m not disputing that the military treats its people poorly (I wouldn‘t know) but if what you say is true, then I feel somewhat reassured. :)

Hey, I‘m a worrier who is thinking about enlisting. How is laundry done during basic? What is the male-female ratio? How are the officers for equal rights in practice? (I heard that infantry was esp. sexist.) Thanks.

in my BMQ there was 19 men and 2 womem, combats were all done by the military your personal laundry you had to do on your own time.
as far as sexist issues we never had a problem although the women complained over and over about not having enough time to shave there legs.

lol! hey...having shaved legs is important :p

On my basic we started out with 4 females, to i think 39 males. (and everyone did all their own laundry- i think it depends on the shacks you‘re in and the facilities they provide.)

As for equality, in my limited experience the military is very keen on it. (We are told on the first day of basic: you are all troops! There are no males or females here :D )If you‘ve ever seen GI Jane, it‘s nothing like that. (ie. instructors trying to deliberately weed out female recruits simply because they‘re female.)

The recruiting centres have a video on what basic training is like and what you can expect. I recommend that you go down to your local centre and ask to see that video.

Hey thanks guys. I feel like I can make a more informed choice about enlisting now. Appreciate it.

Everyone in the military is happy and friendly.

We can‘t wait for you to join our team.

What can we in the CF do to accomadate you?

More like a *&%$ load of swearing and lots of yelling! :D

I lost my voice first weekend being course senior.

Gotta love it!

Infanteer i found your comments sarcastic, condisending and rude. You are creating a hostile work enviroment for me and i do not have to stand for it.

HA

Would you really want an army defending you who is physically unfit, afraid of confrontation and would rather try and make friends with a terrorist than stand in the way of a bullet ment for you? I‘d say no myself but im off on a tanget here. Please appologize to me to infanteer before i utterly destroy your carreer with false alligations a year before i leave the army.

The army isn‘t bad but it‘s not a walk in the park

I love reading Infanteer‘s postings. Always get a good kick from it. Don‘t stop!

Now boys I don‘t want you getting all upset but... when I first posted here I was amazed at how helpful and friendly ya‘ll were. I said "wow this is the friendliest forum i‘ve ever seen" and "these boys really are a family" and I just wanted to remind you all that you ppl have to remember that civilians are very impressionably when it comes to the military. I realise that these last few posts aren‘t very bad in the scope of things, but I think you should only look at the person who started the discussion (civ) and respond accordinly. Those of you who were helpful I appreciate it. I have decided to enlist regardless and realise that the army is no picnic. Thanks.

Yes, Elizabeth, there is a Santa Claus, and yes - sometimes Army guys can be princes (and then there‘s the other times ... all of which goes to show that they‘re human - very human - and not perfect). There are good days, and bad days - sounds like you lucked in and visited during the "nice" season (chuckle).
However, it‘s better for you to have a look at the full meal deal, warts and all, as opposed to having the wool pulled over your eyes (remember the movie with Goldie Hawn: "... where‘s the condo‘s, the jet skiing?")
The grass may seem greener on the other side, but it may really turn out to be well-camouflaged soldiers (CHUCKLE!)
Whatever your decision and fate, best of luck to you.

Back