• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Junior Officer - NCM Relations

ggranatstein

Inactive
Reaction score
As a soon to be junior officer I have been wondering what the relationships were like between 2Lts and the NCMs in their unit.

Is it very formal?
Do they generally go well?
Is there a lot of mutual respect ... or direspect?

It‘s one thing to be an officer in title, it‘s another to be a 22 year old 2Lt like myself ‘leading‘ people twice my age with a **** of a lot more experience than me.

Any comments, stories, advice, etc, would be be great!

Thanks!

I think you answered part of your own question there. As you said while you are in charge, the people that you are in charge of for the most part will have a great deal more experience.

The decisions/orders etc. will ultimately be yours to give/make, however one usually can‘t go wrong with listening to advice from your NCO‘s or even asking for it if the situation warrants it.

The degree of formality will probably often be dictated by the unit, and the individuals concerned. it‘s a learning curve, however you will not be the first to go through it, nor for that matter the last.

Each officer‘s got their own style that works equally well, I find.

Some officers are distant from the troops, but still can lead well.

Some officers hang around with troops, get to know them better, and leads well.

Personally I find that officers that spends more time with the troops are more liked, like sometimes hitting the bars with the troops.

But the most important thing is can you lead...

Just remember this

Pvt - well this is what I learned
2LT - from my experiances
Capt - I‘ll get back to you on that
Sgt - Trust me sir! worry about this one.

You‘ll do fine as long as you watch and learn, and never be afraid to ask a Sgt and up, you depend on them, you respect them but you have to earn their respect.

I‘ve been hearing quite abit about the Officers not knowing their stuff, and that the WO ecetera are the ones who "actually" lead, and that no one actually listens to the officers. then others say that yes, the officers lead , and then give the job of leadership to the NCOs, and then still others say that NCOs should know there place and that...well basically, I‘m somewhat confused for there have been much opposing info given out about this subject... :(

I‘m pretty sure each Company and even platoon will have slightly different dynamics of Officer/NCM relations, based on the personalities of the people in each respective platoon.

what are the rules for chastisement? Like, could an officer discipline an NCO in any way for being disrespectful or anything pertaining to that?

Cross-posted from the Recruiting board, it seems to fit here as well. Question was NCM or Officer, I can‘t decide, what‘s the diff?

=========
As near as I can tell, being a civilian, the difference between Officer and NCM is roughly the same as being University or College educated. Nothing - bright people will always make their mark.

University teaches theory (the why), and expects you to extrapolate the practical (the how). College teaches you practical (the how) and expects you to do it well. To the extent that you can see the big picture, you will interpolate the theory (the why).

Both "classes" of jobs are necessary, and both require responsibility. The difference is what you personally get a bang out of doing, and what your own physical and mental abilities allow you to do.

Capt: We will make camp on *THIS* hill. (Oh, Sgt., what would be the best way to make camp on this hill?)

Sgt: We will *MAKE CAMP* on this hill. (Good choice on the hill Sir).

Focus is different, but both use their experience and intelligence to do their part. Captain needs to know the strategic reasons why they camp on the hill. Sgt needs to know how to make a camp, and why camps are made that way. Sgt probably knows the strategic reasons as well or better than the Captain, but he‘s not responsible for it. That‘s why the Captain asks his opinion. Captain may know how to make a camp just as well as the Sgt., but he‘s not responsible for *making* it, just in having it made. Further, a good commander will explain his reasons as far as he can or is allowed so that his NCM‘s can make informed decisions and suggestions, but he‘s not required to - the reasons why are HIS problem.

The difference in responsibility is a biggie. A dumb Sergent can get a bunch of men killed. A dumb Officer can get a LOT of men killed. A good Sergent can save some lives. A good officer can save a lot of lives.

Another two cents from a civilian. Cap badge is because every army guy I‘ve talked to and learned from was 3RCR.

Mike
I think it is because the US spell Private (PVT). **** aother Pet PEEV. US words in Canada. British OK, Aussie OK, French ok. BUT NOT AMERICAN! Gunnar, good points. As I said NCOs train Officers. A NCO is a Leader or not. You earn the rank. Officers stay in the same mess for ever. But to earn the title of NCO is hard work.

YANKS, WHAT CAN YOU SAY. THEY STILL HAVE A PROBLEM SPELLING USA.AS FOR OFFICER/NCO RELATIONS
I FOUND THAT IF A OFFICER WOULD LISTEN TO HIS NCO,S & THEN FORM A PLAN OF ACTION,HE,S FALURE
RATE WOULD BE ALOT LOWER,THEN IF HE JUST ORDERED IT TO HAPPEN. MOST JR OFFICERS I KNEW WOULD TRY TO COMMAND RESPECT. DOES NOT WORK ON EXPR MEN. YOU HAVE TO WORK @ EARNING RESPECT & YOU MUST GIVE RESPECT TO THOSE THAT HAVE EARNED IT.

LISTEN,LEARN & LEAD BY EXAMPLE. :cdn: IT IS NOT OUR JOB TO FORGIVE THE ENEMY,THAT,S GODS. IT,S OUR JOB TO ARRANGE THE MEETING.

THE ONLY US GENERAL WITH BALLS.

actually, that is something that really gets on my nervers, like ppl saying loo-ten-ant. and boot camp, and favor, and humor, and color, and things like civilization, really, just throw zeds in everywhere to replace those S‘s. Alot of people on this forum seem to like saying gray instead of grey and the like...okay...im done... :p

For you experienced NCO...how do officers treat you?? do they look down at you ? I will be joining as NCO with a college diploma and will be working towards my degree to move up to officer. Any comments?

Leadership is all about respect for those under you and working with your men/women under the same condition‘s and not deligating and hiding in a C.P. or some other warm cozy warren as has become the practice amongst some officer‘s

Back