• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Jump Wings

I did the course as an army cadet. You need:

6 wk CLI course -doesn‘t matter which, although Storesman or QM (whatever they call it now, don‘t know whether they still have it) probably won‘t look very good on you record, it‘s for slackers

National Star Certification Examination (pass, preferably with a good score)

17 years old (or 16 with a waiver)

Pass a full Canadian Forces medical examination
(no previous joint problems, no skin problems, no current drug use, athsma, no disease, etc) If you don‘t tell em anything you should pass, just lie your way through. Never broke any bones, never been in the hospital, never had surgury, etc

PT req‘s are:
10 chinups
4 miles in under 32 minutes
1 mile under 7.5 minutes
40 pushups
50 situps

These are the bare minimum req‘s. I‘d suggest being able to do 15 chinups, 4 mile in less than 28 minutes, mile in under 5.5 maybe 70 pushups and several hundred situps. They test everyone and take the top # they need.

Space Marine,

Advising someone to lie their way through a medical is not a bright thing to do. The standards are there for a reason. They are used to screen out people who may not be able to complete the course without injuring themselves. If you injure yourself on course and it becomes found out that you lied on the medical, you will probably not be covered for any expenses and teatment you incurr as a result. You could also face disciplinary action at your Corp for putting yourself and possibly others at risk. The best advise to offer to someone is for them to be a physically fit as possible and lay all the cards out on the table.
:sniper:

i don't mean to sound like a sea cadet nco who doen't know what jump wings are. But what are they ? ???

mastergunner91 said:
i don't mean to sound like a sea cadet nco who doen't know what jump wings are. But what are they ? ???

Basic parachutist badge.....or "jump wings"

PT req‘s are:
10 chinups
4 miles in under 32 minutes
1 mile under 7.5 minutes
40 pushups
50 situps
Either these standards are outdated, or they have been changed.

I did the course as an army cadet in summer 2005. The standards were 7 chin ups, 1.6 kilometers in 7 minutes 30 seconds, and 32 sit-ups.

That post was made in 2002.

Regards

aspiring officer said:
1.6 kilometers in 7 minutes 30 seconds

1 mile in 7.5 minutes is the same as 1.6 km in 7 minutes and 30 seconds.

When I was at CABC in the early 90s we had to recourse an Army Cadet who convinced the courts that he was perfectly capable of performing the requirements of a basic parachutist despite having only one eye. He had been medically RTU'd after completing most of the ground phase when the PI discovered his so called "handicap".  His doctor evidently chose the ignore the vision requirements that were in force in those days. So I am not held too in awe of pre requisites for this or any other course. BTW the individual concerned passed the course second time around, and I employed him a number of times as a casual parachuhtist on TALS training afterwards(he was a reservist by that point), totally without incident. Good guy.

How did he pass vision tests when you have to cover each eye?  Or was it different then?  OR did he do the ol' switch hands, not eyes trick... gets 'em everytime!

I suspect the family doctor chose to ignore the vision requirement, or did not understand what it meant. Someone with one eye certainly would have been V5, and thus unsuitable for para training according to the requirement. The courts disagreed, believe it was a human right tribunal.

Testify said:
How did he pass vision tests when you have to cover each eye?  Or was it different then?  OR did he do the ol' switch hands, not eyes trick... gets 'em everytime!

Prior preparation prevents piss poor performance= 6p's. If he was smart he memorized the eye chart  ;D

3rd Herd said:
Prior preparation prevents piss poor performance= 6p's. If he was smart he memorized the eye chart  ;D

DEFPOTEC
CETOPFED

A must for pilots ;)

Max

Either these standards are outdated, or they have been changed.

I did the course as an army cadet in summer 2005. The standards were 7 chin ups, 1.6 kilometers in 7 minutes 30 seconds, and 32 sit-ups.

These are the new standards, however, if you are from British Columbia, you must attend a Pre-Parachute screening involving a week of hell where they put you through many physical tests.. including the old standards after you are already beat from ruck and stretcher marches and long runs and sessions of intense physical conditioning.

I believe a Pre-Para installed by PAC Region was a good thing. It produces better candidates for the Jump Course. It is intense, but it is mean that way to filter out those who won't hack it. I think all region should invoke a Pre-Para course.

I agree. I got put through a pre para in Petawawa by an Airborne PERI wanna be and it was intense.

Funny thing was I passed the standards the first day, 17 chinups and 60 situps, and then they proceeded to detroy my upper body over the next two weeks (half days) to the point I hurt so bad I could pass neither. Fortunately I had Xmas to heal and then we were tested again early Jan before heading west and passed again no problem. I was going to be off loaded which was a disappointment to putm it mildly. The PT on the actual course was a cakewalk in comparison.

anybody have any idea about eyesight requirements for the course?

Before anyone jumps in with any smart comments, remember that this is the CADET forums.

Back