• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Officers' bunks and their lack of curtains.

That came across as a bit whiny :)
It was a bit, my bad! Was mostly just poking fun at CSEs; got more rack time than the AirO or aircrew.

Legitimately would rack out hours after and get up hours before, so there seemed to be a large spectrum of 'day workers'.

Stewards are no more.
Stewards are to be no more. There are still stewards in the system, and still work to be completed to (a) move them on to other roles and (b) figure out how to do the work they previously did.

Stewards are no more.
There are no more PO2 and above stewards on ship. There are still four stewards posted to the ship though. MS section head, CO's steward and two for the other tasks like prep work as well as the various trays/salads that need to be prepared.

Two stewards generally still work the Wardroom Servery but the SLt's are on a sched for the table service. You order from them and they get the food. Or there isn't table service and you just get your own food from the serving window.

It was a bit, my bad! Was mostly just poking fun at CSEs; got more rack time than the AirO or aircrew.

Obviously they were super amazing and had all their kit sorted out. You just need to do better! πŸ˜‡

That sort of behaviour usually engenders amazing secondary duties, like PERMON in my experience. Here's a tip kids. Always have broken kit you're trying to fix. Won't ever get those terrible secondaries if you are just to busy with your own job. Unles you're an NWO. Then its just an SOP to load you down with BS tasks.

The Army believes that we need to tear down walls, not build them, between each other so we can fight as a stronger team. Viz ;)

a-row-of-toilets-in-an-army-base-in-the-south-pacific-during-world-war-ii-ca-1943-T6ADJC.jpg
That brought this to mind. Bay class minesweepers weren’t much different.

Attachments

• 0971DB86-5E0E-4C1E-B262-2404BB37C933.jpeg
    0971DB86-5E0E-4C1E-B262-2404BB37C933.jpeg
    32.1 KB · Views: 19
There is a bit of old school classism in that heads differentiation, but there are some advantages. When each of the different messes get into their drinks it keeps them seperated in a good way. In my experience on small boats mixed messing happens much more readily if there are mixed heads. And mixed messing (except when properly organized and sanctioned) is playing with fire.

On the AOPS what has happening is interesting. The wardroom lounge is on a different deck. The officers generally stay in the cafeteria to eat (no hiking up ladders with soup) and the Jr Ranks who's mess is on the same deck as the cafeteria generally go in there to eat their meals (no ladders, comfier seating, TV etc...).

No rules or anything just naturally evolved. Anyone can eat in the caf, but because the mess is right there... why not eat in there.

Obviously they were super amazing and had all their kit sorted out. You just need to do better! πŸ˜‡

That sort of behaviour usually engenders amazing secondary duties, like PERMON in my experience. Here's a tip kids. Always have broken kit you're trying to fix. Won't ever get those terrible secondaries if you are just to busy with your own job. Unles you're an NWO. Then its just an SOP to load you down with BS tasks.
Funnily enough I was PERMON as well as the MSEO (despite super broken kit); turns out I was really good at writing PERs under the updated format. Standard reward for excellence I guess. Didn't mind the PERMON in general, but on top of the broken kit, tight timeline to get it done before crew swap and the ongoing turnover to the incoming crew the 20 hour long days got old quick. At least had a really good team for the PERMON so after the first little bit I didn't need to read every single one in detail, as they had already picked up the issues in the text.

Funnily enough I was PERMON as well as the MSEO (despite super broken kit); turns out I was really good at writing PERs under the updated format. Standard reward for excellence I guess. Didn't mind the PERMON in general, but on top of the broken kit, tight timeline to get it done before crew swap and the ongoing turnover to the incoming crew the 20 hour long days got old quick. At least had a really good team for the PERMON so after the first little bit I didn't need to read every single one in detail, as they had already picked up the issues in t text.
I'd be using AI to write all my performance appraisals now if I were still in πŸ˜‰

There is a bit of old school classism in that heads differentiation, but there are some advantages.
Neat.

Officers really lucked out on the HMS Victory. They were stuck in cramped private commodes at the back of the ship while the sailors got a wonderful open-air view at the front of the ship.

I just came off visiting WIN today. Apparently the command platform frigates have three bunks in a number of officer quarters (Cabins 1,3,4,5). Those don't fold up and have curtains. Room feels rather small and someone is losing out in the desk/workspace olympics but I think the idea is that one bunk goes to the Command Staff who leave to their "office" to work (After SIS IIRC).

I just came off visiting WIN today. Apparently the command platform frigates have three bunks in a number of officer quarters (Cabins 1,3,4,5). Those don't fold up and have curtains. Room feels rather small and someone is losing out in the desk/workspace olympics but I think the idea is that one bunk goes to the Command Staff who leave to their "office" to work (After SIS IIRC).

Generally cabins 1,3,5 have gotten hit across the RCN command platforms on both coasts (or most? FG is always calling, and I can't remember seeing an original Cabin 1/3/5 lately). In every frigate I've seen, 4 is still intact as the most spacious 2-person cabin. That said, every ship seems to pick up their own layouts.

Back in the mid-2010s Charlottetown received an EC for a 9-person Cabin 6/8, which was as shitty as you'd expect. I'm not sure if that EC made it to any other ships (or if that setup is still a thing). Fredericton had an abomination of a combined 7/8 Mess, which I think has been reverted because it was gross and a giant death trap in case of a fire.

The cabin assignment of Fleet Staff is usually a bit of a wildcard, generally driven by how many female bunks they require.

Generally cabins 1,3,5 have gotten hit across the RCN command platforms on both coasts (or most? FG is always calling, and I can't remember seeing an original Cabin 1/3/5 lately). In every frigate I've seen, 4 is still intact as the most spacious 2-person cabin. That said, every ship seems to pick up their own layouts.

Back in the mid-2010s Charlottetown received an EC for a 9-person Cabin 6/8, which was as shitty as you'd expect. I'm not sure if that EC made it to any other ships (or if that setup is still a thing). Fredericton had an abomination of a combined 7/8 Mess, which I think has been reverted because it was gross and a giant death trap in case of a fire.

The cabin assignment of Fleet Staff is usually a bit of a wildcard, generally driven by how many female bunks they require.

Dont forget the mess installed outside of #2 Gen Stores and outside the JP5 pump room. Its the only mess below the waterline.

Back