• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

July 2009 BMQ

Congrats Mighty.  I hope you guys don't mind an old guy like me joining you on the course.

don't worry too much about being the old recruit. I'm 38, so in the same ball park as you.  There's a couple of us over 30 and untrustworthy types on the July 27 BMQ.

Gary D. in SK said:
don't worry too much about being the old recruit. I'm 38, so in the same ball park as you.  There's a couple of us over 30 and untrustworthy types on the July 27 BMQ.

touché, guess I'm grouped into that lot eh?

I'm 31, 32 by the time we finish basic. same date as the rest of you folks. I was worried I'd be one of the only old(er) guys there, glad to see I'm not alone.

I guess if you do your job and do your best then age doesn't really matter at the end of the day.

I agree totally. Here's hoping our extra years will allow us to deal with the upcoming transition a little easier then some of the "kids" may find it.

Congrats Tulach!  Good to hear you got your call.

Looks like there's a fair number of us on the 27th now.

Gary D. in SK said:
Congrats Tulach!  Good to hear you got your call.

Looks like there's a fair number of us on the 27th now.

Hey thanks! I have been following your posts (kinda) good luck with your waiting!

I got my call a couple of days ago. Train to ST.J on Sunday the 5th of July.

You'll notice me. I'm the pale one.

Chalky said:

I most likely wont see you if you start on July 5th... I dont start till 2 weeks later, and besides...I am so pale I am almost see-through ;D hehe. Good luck!!

Chalky said:

What MOC are you going for?

NESOP was the MOC for me.

Brief background: was born in England and moved to Montreal in 2001 and then out west to BC in 2005. Work at Canadian Tire as the Sports Manager, well only for another 12 days or so haha. Like to play guitar, 4x4ing, fishing and rugby. Going to book my own flight so i can see the parents before BMQ starts.

Really really need to get up to speed with my running :S i'm going to be toast haha

Tulach Ard said:
I most likely wont see you if you start on July 5th... I dont start till 2 weeks later, and besides...I am so pale I am almost see-through ;D hehe. Good luck!!

well it looks like many of us are going to be getting some well needed sun this summer.

Aredpath; were in BC are you? and what day do you start?

Tulach Ard said:

whatever, I'm so pale that if I go to the beach I'll burst into flames

TopHatCat said:
What MOC are you going for?

Combat Engineer

I'm just wondering where everybody else is (for July 6), fitness wise.

I just started getting back into shape again the day I got the call (22/5/09). I am currently running 3.5km non stop in 18 min flat, have done the shuttle run and surpassed the stage 6 or 6.5 (depending on where you look), and am able to do well more than the required push-ups, sit-ups and the suggested amount of pull ups. I plan on doing 5km once I get my new shoes this week. Currently I am running 5 days a week and doing other forms of PT 2-3 days. I am asking this because I am worried about the shape I am in, and I really don't want to make things harder on you guys PT wise. I know that we have about three weeks before we begin so I am positive that I will be able to do the requirements but as I said I don't wont to bring the others down. Should I step up what I am doing, ie running twice a day, working out more ext

Thanks for your input guys...
Rick

Rick,

As long as you can do the standards you will be fine, however what you should have already learned is that you are always striving to be better, so if you think that running 3.5-5km is all you can do than great be happy. If you think you can do better strive to do a little more each time and continually try to improve and get used to PT as it will become a huge part of your CF life.  As for the "suggested push ups etc" those are the MINIMUM standards I guarantee that you will be doing a hell of a lot more than the minimum by the time you leave BMQ so continue to do as many as you can an improve on what you can already do.  I am glad to see though you are asking this question because you are worried about the team and dragging them down shows the true qualities of a CF soldier.  Good luck on BMQ and welcome to the family.

cdnsoldier1982

Thanks for your response, I have every intention to continue upping what I am doing. When I started running I was barely able to do 1 km without stopping (as I said I am now doing 3.5 without walking). When I started I hated running, now I do in because I can see my progress and see that I am getting better; this I like! I plan on running everyday starting this week and have mapped out 5 km in my neighbourhood and plan on doing that and continuing past the 5 k mark until I can't run any more. I have worked out a push-up/sit-up routine based on something that I have read on this site:

My version of push-up poker:

Red cards = push ups
Black cards = sit ups
2-10 = that number of corresponding reps
face card = 15
ace = 20

I am doing half of the pack right know.

Can anyone else recommend anything that they are doing that they find to be working for them?

Rick

lutherd said:
My version of push-up poker:

Red cards = push ups
Black cards = sit ups
2-10 = that number of corresponding reps
face card = 15
ace = 20

Rick, that's a solid way of motivating yourself! I bet you can make the entire deck before the end of the month.

For me, music (rage, audioslave, rise against whatever floats your boat) with a good beat is a great way to keep yourself at a good tempo. I find it keeps me from psyching myself out. Oh yeah, and the louder it is, the more endorphins you kick out and the more you can do!

With regard to running, I'm doing a hilly 7.5-10k in 40-60mins, three times a week. The motivation being my earlier time, and if I walk, I get eaten by mosquitoes. Sometimes I do walk, depending on how much I've eaten/drank.
The rush you get when you look at your watch and see that you're coming up to your previous time is good enough for me. That final push is always worth it, and I always sprint with whatever is left in me for the last 100m, as you know the instructors are going to be right there behind you telling you to pick up your feet...

Keep it up Rick, I'm glad to hear our July 6th team is in action already!
I look forward to getting our asses kicked together,

Paul

T-minus 21 days and counting.

Hey guys!!

I was browsing around here last night, reading and such. Some of these forums have been nothing less than  awesome. So i decided to register!

As for basic, I'm starting July 6th!
I'm so excited at this point I can hardly sleep at night!!

I got my envelope a couple of days ago and I have a letter stating that my course number is 0270E.  Anybody else have that course number as I'm pretty sure that there is more than one course starting on July 27th.

Back